• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Brought you here?

Bobby Bass

A friend of mine showed me this site for fishing reports. He was only a lurker and still is. Signed up a month after he directed me to it. Now I think I may get fired from work because I am on it so much. It's the only way to keep me sane though. grin.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobb-o

• Mark Christianson

• lawdog

• Random guy

John from the DNR website, that guy was so convinced the DNR was out to get him that i wouldnt doubt if he thought the DNR was behind the Kennedy assasination! grin.gif

Hey Bobb O,

I guess I dont remember your handle on that forum. If you frequented the ATV forum, I must admit..... I was an addict.... An addict to get at the throats of a few people and get some great laughs with the coworkers. We had a few guys at work that did nothing buy antagonize a specific user or two. What a guy doesnt do for a cheap thrill. grin.gif

i was Bobb-o on their as well but i tried to stay out of the ATV forum, although i did read it from time to time when i needed a good laugh.

I have no idea how I got here, I just know I wasnt in a hand basket grin.gif. I think I ended up here a few years ago as Tom from Blaine, then the puter blew up so I had to start over again... I've met and fished with a bunch of the guys from here and every one is top notch. I'm always looking forward to the next event that I can make it to so I can hang out and fish with the F.M. crew grin.gif..

Tommy T from Blaine

I mostly fish the madison chain (WI) and one of the few bait shops around the city has a site that includes a no rules/registration forum mainly for posting reports and I was there so often I thought I was the only one posting. I changed my name every so often just not to piss people off. I decided I needed a site with more people posting and more topics. I got tired of every question coming back with the response "Talk to Gene at the bait shop". I really found the right site!

Quite a few years ago I was hooked up on fishtheriver.(Contact Us Please) and fishthelake.(Contact Us Please), and then it disappeared or fizzled out or whatever. I never got what became of it, whether it went to a new name or not. I believe if it did, this would be the one. It is essentially the same format. I found it (or re-discovered it) on a google search. Pure gold.

I was looking for fishing report data on some lakes when I ran across this site. Been stuck here ever since.

Bob

just had done a search for some fishing info and this site was listed so amongst others i checked it out and soon found this is the place to read forums gather info and post info this IMO is the best website on the net. thanks guys

I was looking for info on LOTW and this site poped up and I bookmarked it. Now the wife complains I spend to much time on this site grin.gif

Great Question!

After a couple of years of remodeling the resort on Mille Lacs. I was looking to find a avenue to market the resort. I googled minnesota fishing, then fishing minnesota, and I was very surprised that this website was all over the first couple of search pages.

Then I started reading the forums. I had a treble hook then lodged into the corner of my mouth!:) I then made a phone call to Rick and told him that Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay wanted to be a part of FM.

Rick, Tom, Joel and Deitzer and the guys came up to do some fishing with me in "The Wilcrafts" on the early ice. We had a great time.

With all the time I have spent on Mille Lacs over the years and with my day to day on ice experiences I was invited into the FM family staff by Rick.

Its been a unbelievable experience since then. The FM staff and FM'ers have become good friends and fishing buddies instantly! Its been just great! I cannot tell you how greatful we are at Appledoorn's Sunset Bay for the support that FM has given us! I cannot thank all of the FM'ers and the FM staff that have given me their support. I hope to continue to provide to you the stories and the fishing reports from the best walleye lake in the world for many years to come!

We hope to be the tradition and the new friendships continue for generations to come!

For those who are reading these forums and have not joined the Fishing Minnesota website I strongly encourage you to do so. And for those woman that are out there reading and not posting please join us and share your experiences.

Fish On!!!

I came to fight. Years ago I was in the middle of a huge debate over a musky tournment ruling that I felt the judges made a very bad call on, my name was brought up on FM and it was brought to my attention, yes I was banned right off the bat.

Quote:

i was Bobb-o on their as well but i tried to stay out of the ATV forum, although i did read it from time to time when i needed a good laugh.

I remember bobb-o weren't you going to school to be a CO or something? The ATV forum on that place was really the start of the end. The people in that forum, on both sides of the issue by the way, were so psycho it was beyond belief and with no moderators it was just so out of hand. One of the funniest days though was the day we just made absurd post after absurd post of complete utter nonsense in there Mark. I'm sure you remember the "75' snorkle installed" and the "Pope-mobile is ultimate ATV" threads...good times. I laughed so hard that day.

This is a much better forum, broader topic range and the moderation really keeps it civil (that and it seems like a better group of people really). Great site here!

Deja Vu man!!!

I started this same topic about 3 years ago. It was very, very interesting so its cool to do it again and see what the new members have to say.

Here's a link to the old "How did you find FM?" topic-

"How did you find FM?"

Here's my story I posted back then-

"Personally, I found FM back in 2001 when I was trying to find a little info on Upper Red Lake Crappie fishing. I eventually wandered on to Roger's Campground, Hudec's Resort, and the Waskish Minnow Station websites trying to find some info. I believe it was the Minnow Station who had a link to Fishing Minnesota and voila, here I am.

My dad, who is my main ice fishing partner, didn't want to make the trip so I went it alone. First time out, I brought home 5 of the biggest slabs I'd ever caught through the ice and my dad and I made the trip back out the next day for another round. Guess it didn't take too much convincing once he saw those fish. End of story- I'm still here, checking reports, posting info, and praying for a little cold weather and snow!!"

Guess now I'm praying for a little sun and warm weather. smile.gif

Quote:

I believe it was the Minnow Station who had a link to Fishing Minnesota and voila, here I am.

Great, its our fault. shocked.gifgrin.gif

I think I was looking for fishing reports and found the site. I lurked for a while then finally joined. Lot's of great info here.

OMG the old DNR forums. Talk about out of control! The ATV forums were just nuts. I've noticed a few of the same names here. Lawdog, Duckslayer, Xplorer...

as for me it is a kind of different story. i was sitting in my fishhouse late one eve. out on my favorite lake. in the middle of nowhere. had lines down and was watching a little television. now i am a very attentive person. and i am always watching the area surrounding where i am. welll i saw a snowmobile come out from one of the landings in town, and it had made a b-line twords the local dnr accessand once he reached that access he then made a b-line right twords me. now at this time of night i had no clue who could be lookin for me. the sled shut down and in a few seconds there was a knock on the door. i opened it up to find a gentleman who i had no clue to who he was. and he says "there you are" and im like huh???? who are you. he says you dont know me. but i have been lookin for you. i asked why? he said he was new in the area, and that he had always wanted to fish for walleyes on this lake. and had no clue how or where. and goes on to explain. that he was reading on a forum about this certain fishhouse that has been seen on the lake and being how as it has not moved even an inch for the whole season that the report was that he must be on the bite. so he figgers all he has to do is find this house and he will find walleyes. well needless to say i was now in search of this forum that has made this obviously obseen post about this fishhouse.... my fishhouse.

i was outraged that someone with not even a clue would post something as bizarre as this. with nomore information than it aint moved all year therefore he must be on fish. most of you here now know that i fish where i do, not for the numbers of fish there, but for the solitude of the lack of people there. i am out there for the peace and quiet of fishing and the few fish i may end up with in a season are the bonus i get from being there. so i get home the next morning and i hit the search engines hard. i am on a mission. i want to find the person who has made this outlandish posot and leave him a what for. i never did find that post anywheres on the web but i did stumble across this site. thought it was kinda neat. put it in my favorites. and from time to time i would link up to it and look around. well once a month became once a week. then once a week became once a day. by now i had signed up as a member and was totally hooked on the greatness of knowladge and info a guy could find here. then i fould my self admitting to being an fm aholic. aint ever looked back either. i have been doing some writeing on the lakeiwanttobethere forum which is the first forum i go to when i log on. heck i am even trying to get a moderator position here for a sailing forum but aint heard from rick yet. welll now you know my story. ... paul

Found my fix when the Dnr forum was pulled.I too loved to read the battles with John from brainerd Bonsana Explorer Tailfeathers And Catwomen in the atv forum. Were does the time go...Member since 2000 # 375 Great site..

Internet freak crazy.gif... live on this thing... and I need something to do when i was in school smile.gif haha

I did a search for ice fishing...somehow landed here. 2 years ago I registered, forgot what I did to register, so I created a new username and been here since. Lots of info, even if some of it might not be too useful.

"I'm a fm-ahaulic "

I only have one person to blame for getting hooked on this sight ever day. woody1975, thanks a bunch! grin.gif for browsing one day at work. Its been my "Home away from home" ever since.

Hey Lawdog

OMG, the day of Nonsense posts on the DNR/ATV forum was specifically one of the days I was thinking of.

Remember my topic of "Have you hugged your bunny today?"

I was in tears with the buddies at work when I hit submit on that story.

The popemobile ATV, the 75 ft snorkel, thanks for bringing them up. Oh man what a day on an internet forum that was.

LMAO

I ended up over here after the DNR forum got shut down. I was more of a lurker though and didn't post much.. but sure did get a kick out of reading the posts!

marine_man

perhaps they should add an annoyed wives forum. but then we'd never get to go online cool.gif

yeah Lawdog, originally started to go to become a CO saw how few jobs were going to be available over the next couple years and switched to Environmental Studies with a Policy and Planning Emphasis and a minor in Applied Public Policy. Hopefull work for the DNR, EPA, or PCA after school, but who knows maybe one day i will be governor or DNR commissioner

Deitz threatened me with "great bodily harm" if I did not join. But Deitz always threatens me smirk.gif

I researched the web for a good advertising venue and web hosting site. Rick quoted me a price that fit within our budget and off we went. Agape's bookings have increased by about 30% since then. I like to think it is because of my outstanding guiding skills and ability to always find fish. Not to mention extraordinary people skills, backed by selfless interests and the ability to spin whimsical tales enjoyed by all... my wife said it was because of a larger advertising budget crazy.gif

Liar Pants on Fire!!!! You joined before I did...

My story is kind of lame.. I used to go to a cali based fishing page, and just happend to check if there was a similar page for the midwest. Tahhh Dahhh here it was... Been a fun ride so far!

Was searching for fishing reports in MN and BAM!! there Fishing Minnesota was. Not quite sure what I would do without it!!!