• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 3 - Five Guys Not From Wisconsin

HateHumminbird

As an Ode to Cooter, unless anyone (from our team) objects, we are officially Five Guys Not From WI.

I'd like to ask when/where (generally if you prefer) everyone is hunting? Maybe we can help one another out? First timers? Bow/Gun? One hunt (MN-only) this year or will you be traveling to different states?

IFF - Can you use rifles up there? smile.gif

Roll Call:

HSO Team 3

Iffwalleyes

jnelson

Papa Grump

Ret swabby

Greybeard53

Joel

The name works for me.

I'm only doing one hunt this spring(MN)and won't be hunting until May 18th, so I've still got a lot of waiting to do.

I'll probably opt for my bow for the first three days, but if that doesn't produce I may switch to my shotgun, a sharp stick or a big rock. Whatever gets the job done.

Good Luck Team 3!!!!

Love the name, as most of my relatives live in Wisconsin, the fools grin.gif

I'm in 338 season E. hunting the north side of Belle Plaine to East Union area. Lots of birds and plenty of farmers willing to let me hunt.

No I can't use a rifle here. So, I will be using my trusty Benelli. I will be hunting right out of Valley City. Darn near in town right on the city limits. A friend from work has a dad that lives out there and they have several birds running around out there. Not uncommon to see a flock of them right on the road. Opening day is the 14th of April here in ND what is it in MN. I don't know when I will get out first. I am planning to go Fishing both of the first two weekends of the season. I might have to get one picked up during the week.

figgered I would help get your teams post numbers up.

In case you had not seen from another topic, here is the turkey that your very own Joel tagged last year.

I like how he had this gentle looking pic taken, then only to take it out to the chopping block and proceed to tag it.

Nice Joel. Real nice.

joel1.jpg

grin.gif

Yea Joel... at least Bush pardoned his and sent it to Disney World...

That explains why when Joel hunts, his decoy set-up looks like he's out snow goose hunting...! confused.gifgrin.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

Iff:

Get fishing off the brain and work on the birds smile.gif

It's not as easy as many here are making it out to be, but I wish you success!

Joel

You know you guys just jinxed yourself dontchya?

This year's bird however hopes to be much more brown.

Joel

Huntmup:

Wasn't planning on it, however, if you attend, I'll surely need to bring back some of the information from the beginners seminar I conducted on 3/23. smile.gif

Joel

huntmup said he only needs a jake to win this compitition so we know what to expect from him and that white turkey that Joel is pictured with should just about do it. grin.gifgrin.gifshocked.gif

Quote:

Iff:

Get fishing off the brain and work on the birds
smile.gif

It's not as easy as many here are making it out to be, but I wish you success!

Joel

Oh I know it might not be as easy as I hope it will be. Time will only tell. But a hot lead core bite on Oahe and sturgeon will be a tought call grin.gif.

But here is a serious question since I have never turkey hunted. I have no clue what to do when it comes to calling am I better off not even trying or does one get some calls and try them. I would imagen it can be like calling ducks if you don't know what you are doing you are better off not even trying? Also do dekes work without a call very well?

If you want to keep it simple.

Box Calling 101 by Hunter's Specialties. You get a good box call and a 30-min. instructional DVD.

The first year I turkey hunted this was the only call I walked in to the woods with.

On the morning of my second day I killed my first Tom. 4 1/2 inch beard, 1 3/16 inch spurs, and he weighed in at 24 1/4 lbs.

Can't say on the decoys, I don't use them.

Pattern your gun. Try differnt choke tubes and loads #4,5,6.

Confidence is the key to Success.

Good Luck on your first Turkry hunt.

Dan

Calling Ret Swabby, Calling Ret Swabby....has anyone heard from our team-mate?

Joel

Ret will be hunting season "D", which puts IFF in at the lead-off spot!

Quit fishing and get out there turkey hunting!!!

I'll be heading out on April 23rd, and then get another chance in WI mid-may.

Good luck you guys, IFF, let us know if you need a primer or some advice!

Joel

IFF,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to get out on 'em yet?

The birds are going hot and heavy around here and I still have over four weeks before my turn comes. I'm going crazy. I need to live through the successes of other Team 3 members for a while. How about an update???? crazy.gif

Grey:

Just emailed him; he's lost in walleye/sturgeon-land. smile.gif

Said he's got until May 20th for ND; however, my first season, you could've given me till May 20th of the following year and I still couldn't have killed a turkey.

I think we need an intervention smile.gif

Joel

Fishing???? Fishing??? Doesn't he know that fishing season is just something invented to keep turkey hunters busy between spring and fall seasons? grin.gif

Once he calls in that first gobbler, that'll be all the intervention needed. laugh.gif

If MN had a five week spring turkey season, I'd probably lose my job and end up living in a van down by the river. THEN I would have time to go fishing.

Just giving you a hard time IFF. Good Luck when you do get out. I hope you nail a big one.

Keep us posted.

Greetings All, Weddings are done, Spring Conference is over and it is getting warmer out. I won't be out until season "D" in zone 457. I am going down to harass my dad this weekend and do a little scouting. He drives school bus and has a few good leads for me already. I have chased the ole brother tom but have yet to pull a trigger. Dad has gotten 3 out of the last four years in the same zone. He is some what lucky as he drives school bus then goes home changes cloths and goes to where he saw them on the route. Will be seeking some advice soon.

Swabby smile.gif

Swabby,

Seems like you have a leg up on the scouting, with dad behind the wheel. After all, the best turkey sign you can look for has feathers and a long beard attached. laugh.gif

Scouting for birds and spending time with your dad. Sounds like a great weekend to me.

Good luck finding a spot to fill your tag.

We're on the board fellas.

Took him at noon today after a very difficult morning hunt.....many close calls, no opportunities to make good on them until the lunch-hour.

More details to follow soon....

Joel

Sweet.

Congrats Joel. I remembered your season started today so I've been sitting here at work wondering if you pulled the trigger yet. I'm looking forward to details.

Nice bird Joel. Saw the post "unlucky bird" So you will be scouting "E" do you think the birds will be doing the same patterns in "D"? First two hours with the hens then ma hen hits the nest and the tom's roam? I have a few nice spots to hit after looking around this past saturday but I must say I didn't see any birds and the wind was to wicked to do any type of calling. Will be kind of doing it by the seat of the pants on the 4,5 & 6 of May.

Swabby

Ret:

From everything I've seen, I'm guessing that the hens will be full-on nesting by season "D" in most areas. I say this because of the incredible breeding activity I've been witness to the past two weeks (gobblers have been henned up something fierce), and also because of previous experience with hunting these dates. "D" season is last years "E" season with the season structure moved forward a bit, and I'm used to striking up conversations with mid-morning gobblers in the traditional "E". That isn't to say it's not worth going after early morning birds at this time, esp. lonely ones.

Despite our success this "B" season, it's been a trying experience finding cooperative gobblers that weren't with hens. When we did find them however, like today, the action was dynamite.

Joel