• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer Resort Recommendations

snatcher20

Looking to book a trip to a summer resort with the family for later this summer. While I could fish the entire time, the rest of the family is happy with just a couple hours here and there. Need other activities such as golf, dining, and shopping within an easy drive from the resort. Did some checking at the sports show this past weekend but please share where your family has been going or your favorite spots. Walleyes, muskie and panfish would be the preferred species. We would also prefer individual cabins versus a hotel syle resort. We've been to Cragun's on Gull and Hiawatha on Leech. Not necessarily looking to be on one of the "big" lakes either. 3-4 hours tops from the Twin Cities. Maybe this post will also let people share special trips with their families from when they were kids or or maybe new family traditions just starting off. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Dear Snatcher20,

There are a couple of ideas that I can share with you. One would be on Mille Lacs Lake. Appeldoorn's has a family orientated resort. While fishing a world class fishery with a huge abundance of trophy walleye, small mouth bass, northern pike and muskie, the family can spend time on a beatiful beachside cabin. The beach at Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort is fantastic. There are plenty of gift shops in Isle and Wahkon, Mn. Izaty's Golf Course and Fiddle Sticks are just minutes away. You can have dinner either at Buzzies on the Bay or Nitti's Hunters Point Resort. Both have very good food.

The other reccommendation would be The Cactus Resort & RV Park in Perham, Minnesota. Perham, Minnesota is just in the heart of many top fishing lakes. The lakes are excellent panfish and walleye lakes. Fish Big Pine, Little Pine, Battle Lake, Ottertail Lake, Lake Lizzie, Lake Lidia, Lake Rose, Long Lake, Cotton Lake, Dead Lake, Star Lake, and Pelican Lake. There are 1000 lakes in Ottertail County alone!

The Cactus Resort & RV Park is Minnesota's very first four season RV Park. The Resort also has four beautiful up-north decor logged cabin suites. These suites will accomedate up to 8 people. They are brand spanking new with in floor heat, full appliances, a indoor pool, hot tub and sauna.

The Cactus Resort and RV Park also has a beautiful lounge and dinning area. They also have a brand new bowling center. Often they have live music in their hall on Friday and Saturday Nights. Plenty of activities to enjoy if the weather is bad for the family!

There is also seven championship golf courses all within 15 minutes of The Cactus Resort. And downtown Perham has over 30 stores to shop. Antiques, gift shops, sporting goods, or just take a drive around the lakes or up to the Tamarack National Marsh and enjoy the beauty of nature.

If you have any questions at all please contact me and I'll be happy to assist you in any way possible.

Best of luck to you.

Fish On!!!

Ruttger's Birchmont Lodge in Bemidji is worth checking into. It's located on Lake Bemidji, which is a great lake for the species you're after. They offer many activities for the entire family. As far as golf, the Bemidji Town and Country Club golf course is just a half mile up the road and downtown shopping for the wife is only minutes away. They have a variety of lodging styles, from the hotel to rustic and modern cabins right on the water, to townhome type villas, complete with kitchenettes, etc. Boatlifts can also be rented ($10/day I think). I worked summers there in my youth and ended up taking my family there for an extended weekend stay last summer. Google the resort name to find their website -- I think it might just fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Personal recommendations and opinions from past experiences are much more telling than a brochure or website. I will definitely further explore your suggestions. Please keep them coming.....

You may want to check the Alexandria area. I am put in the same position every year, to find a resort for the entire family (wife, parents, sisters, etc..). The are numerous lakes and resorts all within minutes of Alexandria, which I have never been but looks like it has alot for the family to do. I ended up choosing the bigfoot resort on Lake Mary, had nice cabins and has a mini golf course at the resort. Best of luck...

snatcher20,

First I must admit that I am biased, as are most, one way or another.

Based on your criteria, I would agree with the Alex area. 2 hours from the cities and lots of golf, restuarants, shopping, etc.

[note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank-You]

Miltona is a great lake for Walleye, Muskie, Bass and Pannies! Plus 18 holes of golf 1/2 mile from the resorts!

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents! Good Luck!

Arrowwood resort is a great place to take the family. It's right on the alex chain, has a golf course, good dinning, horseback riding, indoor waterpark, good swimming beach on the lake, and fishing on the chain and nearby lakes is good. They have a website so you could check it out.

I think the Alex. area is a good choice too. The Big Foot Resort on Lake Mary is a good choice. Lake Mary is a good lake for walleye,, pike and pan fish. Take a trip to Lobster for musky fishing, you will not be disapointed in this area. I have fished this area for the last 50 years, my aunt lived on lake Miltona which is a very good lake, so is Ida. these lakes are all within 15 miles of each other. wink.gif

You've been to the Leech lake are before, why not head over

to the Longville area. Thunder lake has a good place to eat right on the the lake you can boat to and there two nice resorts on it. Catch and release on the big fish only, so I can catch them again. My place is on the lake.

We went to Izatys last year on Mille Lacs awesome resort, has everything you mentioned in your report. the fishing was awesome, plenty of things for my wife and daughter to do while I was fishing and 2 golf courses on the resort. we have booked again this year in June. you can get cheaper accomadations by not booking through the resort, i have booked the last 2 years directly with the owners of the Villas through a website called VRBO, you can save 50%.

We have been to Kohls Resort on Big Turtle Lake in Bemidji about seven times. Well worth the drive! They have changed owners 3 times since we started going there but we have not been there for the last two summers.(son is 19, can't bring em and can't leave him behind crazy.gif) Beautiful beach,indoor pool and hot tub. Daily activities for the kids. Fantastic fishing!! The water is very clear and the lake is not too big . Lots of structure and all species of fish are very good sized, but no muskies. This lake is only 6 miles north of Bemidji and it is connected to two other lakes. Lots of stuff in town and a very nice movie theater for a rainy day. Cabins are very neat,clean,well maintained and rustic and some of my favorites have very nice lake views. I can't say enough about this resort. I highly recommend Kohls Resort and I deffinately will be going back . I would be glad to answer any other questions, Ken grin.gif

I've taken my two kids to Arrowwood Resort in Alex a couple of times. There are many activities you can do there. What we enjoyed the most were the wave runners and the horse back riding. The executive putting green is fun since we don't golf. The fishing is good too and you have access to several lakes that are not far. Their prices were reasonable too before they opened the waterpark. Now it is a bit more spendy.

Our family (with another family) has been going to Maple Island Resort near Alex for about 20 yrs. The cabins aren't new, but the water is clear, the beach is great, the boat is about 25' from the cabin door, and we catch plenty of fish. It's on Maple Lake about 7 mi south of Alex. [note from admin. Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank-You]