• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TEAM 8! Turkey Trash Talkers - Your monster birds are our decoys

tealitup

BLB first blast first bird or are you planning on a guided hunt?

30 birds they'll only be 29 when I'm done then 28 after teal heats up his barrel. that leaves a few left for you.

Good luck!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tealitup

• Gordie

• LABS4ME

• Mark Christianson

I aint huntin' this area. I gots big fat albino turkeys I chase up in Ottertail County. Joel told me they are easier to shoot, and taste much better. cool.gif

Teal,

Looks like you get to go hunt out behind my house. Elwood just doesnt play well with others. grin.gif

Yes!!

I bet scouting on your land is tough huh. Couch on the deck with a beer in hand. I might have to scout for two months.

So which one of you two goombas wants a lead on a turkey spot in 223?

[email protected]

I have no clue if its available, but I know of a large tract that has birds in it or very nearby.

I would love some help in finding a bird this coming year. I am hunting 'G' time period I think.

K,

Then email me, and I will give you something to check on.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we have our work cut out for us! A five bearded bird was taken.

Remember that their birds are our decoys. and that is the only bird thus far to be registered and they cant only do it with one bird (fingers crossed)

Teal have you been scouting lately I havent been out to check on anything for two weeks but I might have locked down another spot where their was 5 toms and 1 hen

yesterday hopefully I get some good news about that spot this weekend.

Ive been busy with work and chores around the house but this weekend I'm going to get out.

Good luck to you. I was out 2 weekends ago and they were moving around the Sand Dunes.

I wish I could hunt Xcel energy's land - they have so many (Contact Us Please) birds - unreal!

hey guys I just locked up another spot for myself its private land and the guy said that theirs been roughly thirty birds every morning in his deer hunting food plot and I have sole permission to hunt itbut the only catch is I cannt hunt until wendsday so I'll try a couple of other spots and If I dont get one that can be my ace in the hole.Lets hope the birds have the same idea as me.

I got to scout a little yesterday after the rain didnt see any birds but found a roosting site. I think thats where Ill start monday.

Sweet get me permission too smile.gif

I found two spots yesterday on private land. Seemed nothing was moving. saw one bird (hen) all day

well team I didn't get one this morning but man I had a blast.

I got to my first spot and set up.I never hunted this spot before and made a few calls and no answer then about 6:30 I was going to leave for another spot when I look to my left a about twenty yards their stands a hen owell waited a bit then did the run and gun moved a bout a 1/4 mile and heard two gobblers so I answered back then they did the same Im gettin stoked set up and another hen comes in and stands around the decoy then two jakes came in and milled about then they wondered off then those two gobblers started gobblin behind me never did see them. I moved again then heard another tom and figured I'd try and cut him off but never did ended up by this big field and looked down to my left then right smack in front of me 5 hen and 1 big tom on a dead run towards the middle of the field all I could do was watch them. well maybe tuesday morning will be sucessfull

I also found a turkey that was killed by a animal its head was tore off . It had 3/4 inch spurs I'm guessing it was a jake not a big tail and a skunk had sprayed the area probaly last night or real early in the morning I have a couple of pics and I'll post them later tonight.

Went out this morning also...

LOTS and I mean LOTS of gobbling the 1st hour. I counted at least 6 gobblers within a couple hundred yards and another 3-4 further out. Most times I had 3-4 gobblers answeing my call in unison. Unfortunatley they roost on the neighboring property and try as I may, I can't get permission to hunt there. It's leased out for deer hunting, but I've never seen anyone turkey hunt there. Owner says the lease is for the whole season so he can't let me hunt there.

Called one Tom in to about 80 yards at 7:00. He came from a long ways off through the wooods... Hung up on the neighboring property in some sumac.... strutted twice and left... urghh confused.gif

Called in 4 different hens over a 20 minute period from opposite directions... had 2 within 30 yards of me feeding... you think one of them would've had a Tom on their backside... nope!

Ended up having to leave for an appointment at 9:30... I'm planning on trying to get out late this afternoon... Tommorrow I should be able to hunt later... I hope (or I hope not grin.gif)

Gotta break this 0-fer the last 2 streak...

Good Luck!

Ken

Ok guys here the dead bird I found to day

100_1516.jpg

100_1517.jpg

this bird was just laying under a pine tree and it looked like a fresh kill. wondering if it was shot and never retrived or shot and wounded but it defintly was being eaten by critters

well this morning there was hardly a sound of a gobbler me thinks their all henned up. went by that field again and 1 tom and two hens out about seventy yards they started movin so I tried to cut them off but with no luck, it was fun to watch that tom struttin thou had to leave earlier today could only hunt til 9:30 hopefully wendsday pans out I'm headed to my ace in the hole.

Just got in... Still eating crow instead of turkey breast!

I'm having a problem getting the Tom's onto the property I can hunt... They are flying straight down off the roost and heading up the opposite way to a field edge.

With that said, I have heard more gobbling this year than I ever have. I can strike up a gobble at almost anytime... I just can't get them to commit to coming over to where I am. Save one time (almost - that close!) at about 10:00 this morning. The birds aren't using the brome opening that I've had success in for their fly down area... No problem calling in hens... another 5 came in this morning from sun-up till 8:00 (no Toms with them again! mad.gif), so I decide to shift down the property a few hundred yards to set up in a small clearing in the woods where the 2 pieces of woods connect over the fence line. I had heard a couple Toms there minutes before that sounded like they were only a couple hundred yards into the other property... I set up in that little opening facing where I heard the Toms... called and immediatley got a return by both. Called some more and they closed half the distance and that was it. Called sporadically for another 30 minutes, they answered but never came any closer. I shifted a little to get some blood in my legs, and wouldn't you know it... there's another hen standing 15' behind me! She couldn't make out what I was, but she knew I wasn't her buddy... she proceeded to pace back and forth doing a VERY angry putt and purr... this sparked up the two big boys... so I chimed in and putted and purred back as aggressivley as her. This sent them over the edge and I could hear them gobbbling on the run... unfortunately they stood about 80 yards away in another opening and gobbled their fool heads off till that hen decided to leave and go and join their party... Didn't take 'em long to get 3-400 yards away after they joined up. I could hear them gobbling as they walked away... not sure where they ended up... they were headed toward some houses (with no trees), so I figured I'd get in front of them to cut them off when they'd head back to the woods... never saw them again...

Struck up a couple more gobbles before I left and decided to take a break... Going back out again theis afternoon...

The pieces of the puzzle are all there... just gotta put 'em together!

Good Luck!

Ken

Can the Toms see your property from their neighbors?

Maybe a little decoy distraction?

They all roost on the neighboring property... It's 80 acres of the most beautiful turkey woods you'd ever want to see. I can usually call a few my way at fly down. Shot 3 in a row doing that... They rarely roost in the small blocks of woods on the land I hunt. They used to use one part of this land as a strutting zone for years... but no longer.

As the houses get built around it, more and more people walk on it etc. I haven't run into anybody yet this year... but the signs are there that it's being well used... I think a lot of the birds are just dropping down off the roost next to hens. I can hear them calling in the woods at sun-up... Hard to compete with the real thing! I'll just keep putting in my time... One will hopefully come my way...

Good Luck!

Ken

Ok - so put a hen decoy on a skate board. Attach a line/string to the skate board and when you think something is looking at the decoy pull it towards you. Would have to be on level or somewhat level ground.

I know I haven't checked in as a member of team 8 but thought I'd let you know now that I did end up bagging a Tom last Thursday evening.

Someone let me know who I can e mail the pictures to so they can get posted. The other problem I'm having is figuring out how to scan that entry form and include that but I'll try more tonight.

Here is my story.

First time turkey hunter. I drew season 239A after trying for 3 years. I took Friday off from work so I could get in at least 3 good days of hunting. I brought my 9 year old daughter with. I get to our property around 6:15 on Thursday evening and drive around before parking. I hadn't even really planned to hunt that evening. I see several toms out in a field I had planned to hunt the next morning but I didn't want to bump them off the property that night. I got to a second field and saw a big tom out in the middle and decided to chase him after I got settled.

We both got changed and grabbed our gear. No sign of the turkeys as we began setting up but then as I was putting the blind in place I saw a big tom about 150 yards out. It looked like he saw me and scooted into the woods. I finished getting set up and waited a few minutes to call.

As soon as I called the woods lit up with hens and a couple toms calling back. Then I made a bad call and they stopped. Pretty soon I hear (but can't see since it was behind my enclosed blind) a bunch of turkeys roosting or something near me and a water hole just down the ravine from the field edge I was set up on.

It wasn't long and I see a nice tom step out on the field down where the original one was. He dissapeared behind a ridge and I wasn't sure where he might be headed. I called a few times and sure enough, here he came over the hill. He would stop a couple times along the way and I would call. As soon as I called, he puffed up and strutted around before heading my way. I put the call down when he made eye contact with the decoys. Shot him at 28 yards. It was quite a rush. Especially seeing him respond to the call. Reminded me of the old days when ducks would actually respond to calls and decoys more than they seem to these days.

Weight 24 pounds even

beard 8.5 inches

spurs a measley 5/8" and 1/2 inch

I'll send pictures to anyone willing to help me post them. Just let me know where to e mail them to.

My other daughter (12) has her tag this weekend so we are heading back over to try again.

Thanks

ccarlson

Nice JOB!! A first bird is always the most special - and for your daughter to be involved is even better! I think Labs4me can post a picture, or you can email borch - he will do it also for ya.

Once again - great job! nice to be on the board

Thanks, it was fun to have my youngest daughter with me, that is for sure. Next year she will be a preference two so I'll sign her up for one of the more likely seasons and give her a shot.

I sent the pictures and form to Joel since I couldn't find Borch's or Labs e mail. I'm sure he will post it or forward it to borch for posting. Good luck to the rest of team 8.

ccarlson

CONCRATS ccarlson way to get on the board and the first bird is a great feeling also.

This morning went to my ace in the hole and was beat by a pair of 2,s had gobblers alaround me answering my calls all morning just counldnt get them to commit. did see two hens thou I might get out tonight I hope if not I'll give a nother try in thre morning

I know how your feeling labs4me I starting to chew on that crow too.

I hope all works out well for everyone! Please do not put the pressure on me to finish the deal.

still no luck I couldn't get out this morning but made it out this after noon had a hen sneak in from behind about 30 feet to my left and stood their clucking and purring for almost ten minutes then just wonder off also had turkey gobblin behind me and still nothing would commit. When I was done I found out three toms were in the other hay field,I picked the wrong field tonight. I got one day left and I hope its a good one.

Well boys... 3 years in a row, the big 0!!! I thought I had a chance this morning. I had two gobblers who are constantly in one small section of the private woods who constantly call and actually came over to the public land once during my hunt. They seem to roost in almost the same area each night. Yesterday I got them all hot and bothered in the afternoon... so I made a plan then how to get them.

I got up a little earlier, snuck right up to the fence line and got up against a tree, I figured I was within 80-100 yards of their roost. Sat down and waited to hear the 1st calls of the morning. Gave a soft cluck on call and here's a dog on the edge of the woods. He starts barking at me at 5:55. This goes on till I get up at 6:10 and walk 300 yards away to set up where I hunted earlier in the week. The dang dog stayed there and barked till I couldn't take it anymore and walked up the ridge and out of the coulee at 7:00. At that point I was just hoping for a scared bird to run passed me. I was tempted at on point to take the dog to neverland... but I figured it was some kids pet.

I walked to the other end of the land and just sat on the ridge and enjoyed the sunrise. The dog finally shut up and left. Nice just sitting there, watching the morning unfold being able to scan a huge panoramic landscape like that.

With that said, if anyone is looking for a hunting partner in zone 339 for next year, let me know. I've hunted this same piece of WMA ground and it put out 4 birds in a row for me... then came the developments. Now it's 160 acres of ATV paths and joggers and people walking their dogs and now people letting their dogs run... I think it's time to move on. The other 2 pieces I had are no longer available to me... one has houses on it too, and the other has been sold and the new owner won't let me hunt. I had a piece of Vermillion River bottom I hunted once, but it seems to flood 4 out of 5 years and the birds don't seem to consistantly use it. I'm planning on a door knocking campaign before next year, and I may even consider hunting my buddies land in Ottertail county in the future.

Oh by the way, don't lose faith, I have Wisconsin yet to hunt... hopefully I keep us in the game with a bird form there!

Good Luck!

Ken