• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How crazy is Mille Lacs opener?

toughguy

I've fished Mille Lacs several times but never bothered with opener because of the crowds. I know it will somewhat depend on the weather but how crazy do the public access areas get? About how long will you have to wait in the morning to get on the water? Will it help to drive to the north side of the lake to get a shorter line?

OH it is crazy, but that adds to the fun grin.gif if you want to launch the boat on the north end, you will more than likely have to do it through a resort (unless you have a canoe, very shallow) The resorts are really accomidating to the crowds, and so are the north end walleyes. smirk.gif

Iv'e been going up there for a few years now, and it has been pretty crazy at times. Especially when everyone is coming in at the same time. We tend to go out a little earlier to avoid the crowds at the launch(plus get a decent parking spot) But the past couple years we have just been staying at a resort with a dock space. Worth the extra money to me, just so much more convienent.

I do have to say, it is comical watching some try to launch or load thier boat(backing the trailer in or centering the boat on the trailer), there have been instance where some have gotten really wet blush.gif (PS, not trying to bash anyone if that was u)

It is very comical. I have seen many people completely unable to back in there own boats, much less park them. Get to the launch early. If you find the fish, don’t tell anyone at the bar where you were otherwise you will be fishing with 30 people the following day. If you go to the north end, use common sense and work with the crowd, not against it. You will know what I mean when you get there. The beauty of Mille Lacs is that it is a big body of water and can hold that kind of traffic. Rain does tend to keep the crowds down a little.

You need to experience this !!!! cool.gif It's always a good laugh at the boat launch. You'll see everything there you could ever imagine. From a new boat owner backing down a ramp for the first time. Or someone who backs down and tries to launch the boat with the tie downs still on. Or someone forgetting to put the drain plug in.

Just give yourself plenty of time. If your'e going up Sat am. You'll be ok if you get at a launch before 5:00am.

Make sure you bring your camera!!!!

Loading back up Sat late afternoon or eve is another story. Just give yourself plenty of time. You won't set any time records loading up. Most of all, enjoy the Opener on the Pond!!!

Rodmaker

It's almost tempting to just go to a launch with a camera. Don't have a boat big enough for the pond but plenty of room on the camera for future laughs. laugh.gif

No hard feelings if your caught on my camera cause I know how frustrating it gets at busy launches!!!!!

There are launchs on the lake that have no line, but you have to run a good ways to get to the "prime" spots. These launchs are funny though because they will be empty on Sat. and then someone mentions it at the bar and then all of a sudden Sunday morning is a zoo, the DNR is ticketing people, and it can be down right funny. The DNR can really slow down the process if they are checking people as they come on and off the lake. Here is another tip, make sure your trailer tabs are paid. I saw an officer write up about 15 tickets in one parking lot.

Free Leason: Follow the rules and Keep you mouth shut if you have a good thing going.

No problem at all. I'm usually on the water Fri eve around 8:30. I head out to our spot. Usually on the rocks. Anchor, get all things set up, and catch an hour of sleep or so.

I'm usually off the water around 4:00 or so in the afternoon (Sat).

Quote:

No problem at all. I'm usually on the water Fri eve around 8:30.

That reminds me of when we used to camp out on a local lake duck hunting, saving the bog for the next day. Me and my bro are gonna fish the pond on opener for the first time(fishing walleye's anyway) It's gonna be fun watching some of the yahoo's unloading/loading there boats, fish will be a bonus grin.gif

I'll be avoiding mille lacs on the opener because of the crowds at the launch. But the comic relief is everywhere on the opener. I've seen guys get into fist fights over who's next in line to launch their boat. Funniest thing I've ever seen is a guy dock his boat, forgot to put a rope around the pole and while he went up to get his truck the boat started to float away. Probably floated out about 50 yards by the time he got back. Someone eventually towed his boat in. Stupid people (I've been one of those stupid people on occasion so I don't judge) can be funny sometimes.

I'm not kidding. I think I've only missed 5 Openers since I was 20. I'm 46 now.

Until you experience it for yourself you won't believe it. laugh.gif

Make sure you have your camera, it's a experience to remember.

It gets pretty funny watching people fish also. I saw one guy give a huge sweep of his rod on a hook set, the rod flew right out of his hand and in the lake laugh.gif

Mille Lacs could be tough with the water being low.......we had a tough time last fall when we tried using one of the public accesses on the west side of the lake......if we had waders it wouldn't have been so bad to pull through the sand. Good luck on the big pond......

I watched a guy fish all day with his rod upside down, reeling backwards the whole time. The sad thing was that he was outfishing most of the people around us. I also like to see all the old school gear, like the old metal fish basket hanging over the boat, the boat that looks like it could sink at any minute, and the guys that are so drunk they might as well start at the far northeast end and drift across the entire lake. Gotta love opener.

If you want to extend your comical people watching through the course of the summer than go to the croix and watch the "dummies" canoe down the river...it's amazing to see how poorly some of these guys can paddle. On a good day you'll see 1 or 2 canoes tip over (with everyone and everything in it). Luckily it's a soft sandy bottom in only 2 or 3 ft of water, nobody drowns or gets hurt. It's just good clean fun to watch.

Hey trophy; you shouldn't make fun of me and my boat, and my live well. And I have started a drift at the top of the lake and finished a few hours later w/ alot less beer, and a ton of fish though; that was a fun fourth of july. But as stated above it is pretty funny. A cooler of beer, video camera, and a lawn chair is all you need. Sit above the landing and you'll have hours and hours of hilarious fun. Have contemplated it a few times but always got the boat wet and killed some leeches and losts some raps. See you on the North end, No other place to be @ 11:45pm on Friday May, 11th.

It's not that bad. Just take it all in and go catch some fish.

last year on opener saw a guy un hook his boat before he backed down the ramp at Garrison's, he made it half way before the boat slid off the trailer. He managed to force the boat the rest of the way into the water, went up to park his car came back and realized he didn't put in the drain plug. He was determined though, he soaked himself bailing out in 40 degree weather and still went fishing.

last year watched a guy put the back end of his RV in the sand at the Malmo access. that made an already impatient crowd much more impatient. ended up dropping my buddy off on shore and had him drive to fisher's. $10 just to load the boat, but I know never to make the mistake again and just pay the $10 off the bat.

TrophyEyes.

A few years ago, I was waiting to load up the boat at the Malmo Public access. There was a guy with his boat loaded up on the trailer. He tried and tried to pull it out of the water, but went nowhere. He kept smoking his tires. Finally after a minute or so, I went over to his truck. He had his emergency break on!!!!

No one has even mentioned all the good stories about guys that couldn't start their engines because they didn't think to try before they got to the launch. I saw a guy pull and pull and pull a Yamaha motor. He didn't have the dead man clip in. That was priceless. He of course was drifting around in the launch area because his buddy didn't back him into a spot where he could grab the dock.

Another guy tried and tried to start his motor. He kept turning the key and putting it into gear (even if it didn't start). Let's just say when it did start, there was enough gas flooding into that engine that the guy fell to the floor of his boat, as the boat rammed into the reeds. I almost died laughing.

Carl- I saw that in garrison. I thought for sure it was going to wreck something. But that didn't detur him from going out. I am glad that I have the boat running well on the river already, can't wait to hit the lake.

Yep,

Gotta agree with all the stories about guys backing a boat down for the first time. They spent all that money on a matching trailer, boat, and truck with topper. Heck, they look like a walleye fisherman. Then you realize they can't back, can't drive, and most likely can't fish. I love outfishing 90% of the shmucks out there on opener. I'm not calling myself Al Linder's half brother....call it gear envy if you will, but it really does the ego good to outfish those kinds of people.

God bless Mille Lacs opener. It's part of the cameraderie and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope I can say I've done it 20 years in a row, but I've got a few more to get there.

That is funny right there !! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Push the boat in after it rolls off the trailer, forget the plug laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif MAN I can not wait grin.gifgrin.gif

I watched 2 guys load there boat. One was in the boat the other manning the winch. The guy on the winch gives it a tug and that little handle was doing about 200 rpms, then it happened the handle came off went about 100' in the air and about 200 yards out into water. Funniest thing I ever seen.

Watching novices have issues sounds like some fun. I, myself, don't get too much of a kick at other's expense. It could be me someday.... I would rather help the newcomers or disadvantaged than sit there and laugh at them. We all were new to this once and I find it that the jealous are usually the ones out there hoping for an issue.... What I enjoy is watching a two-man team rollup in a 2006 GMC Denali Classic Pickup with a 2006 Lund Baron Magnum attached. I mean a loaded Baron with every bell and whistle. I watch everybody in the area staring and ponting, hoping they will make a mistake and get a laugh and then watch them manuever effortlessly and launch the boat with a key flick to start the massive 275 HP 4-stroke Yamaha. To me, hearing the locals complain about the "metro big shots" is even funnier as they turn green with envy as the team darts out of the harbor at Fisher's and onto the big pond. Wish I had that setup....

If only that boat guaranteed to catch you more fish. Not just get you to the fish quicker. I like to see the old 14 or 16 footer w/ three guys bring in their dozen @ 19 & 7/8", and have that warrior, ranger, or crestliner wonder how in the H E double did they do that!!! Very good times!

I would still take the better boat. I have all the confidence in my fishing skills. But the point is taken, nice boat does not equal lots of fish. However, I would like to think that if you have fishing skills and great equipment it may even be better.

It should also be noted that 'decked out' boats with all the bells and whistles attrack a lot of attention on the water and will rarely find themselves fishing alone. Eventhough the 16 footer with a 25 h.p. could just as easily fill the box, more boaters tend to flock to the bigger "fishing" boats. Why is that? confused.gif

Unfortunately, Mille Lacs' reputation as the "Wild West" of novice boaters/fishermen and a general lack of fishing manners is often deserved. I grew up with a cabin on Mille Lacs so it will always feel like "my" lake but I have to admit I have seen some real head-scratching behavior on the big pond.

Some Favorites include:

1) fishing a community spot (seven mile) a few years back, sharing the spot with about 20+ other boats, a guy comes in at full throttle and cuts his engine right in the middle of everyone. He then proceeds to drop anchor and fish out the bow. Not horrible so far right? At this point, about 4-5 kids begin to jump in the lake and splash around from the back of the boat as the guy ignores them as he continued to fish from the bow.

2) After pulling in a few fish on a reef with a slip bobber, I look up to see an older guy and his wife pull ancher to move to within 20 feet of us to "redeploy". As the wind was moving both boats, I had to push his boat away with my foot so it wouldn't do damage.

3) fall trolling: I had a guy trolling about 3x faster than me move right up on my stern until two of our lines got caught in his motor.

4) Summer fishing on the flats: I pulled up to Banana flat and was happy to see I was the ONLY boat on the flat. Had the flat to myself for over an hour until I saw a launch from the NW side moving my way on the horizon. The launch indeed was headed to Bannana. Within 20 minutes of the launch's arrival the boat count was nearing 30.

Just a few Mille Lacs memories from the last 5 years or so...