• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

duck boats/ blinds

carpshooterdeluxe

hey guys im thinking about buying a small boat to expand some of my duck hunting options, and was wondering if anybody has some good pictures of their boat blinds. ive never hunted out of a boat blind before and was just curious what some of the setups look like.

hey carpshooterdeluuxe I have an 18ft jon and built a sweet blind for it. I have to wait about three four days before I can get to it and I'll snap a few pics before I take it apart to rig up the boat for fishin season. I got a few chores to take care of first (honey do list) the more I do the more I get to fish if you know what I mean. I think this blind style would work on most any size boat.

carpshooterdeluxe sorry I havent got those pics on yet but I been busy with cutting down a bunch of dead oaks in my yard along with a death in the family and as soon as I dig my boat out Ill get them on for ya.

carpshooter

What kind of boat are you thinking of buying?

Small fishing boat style, jon boat, or something in the lines of a Carsten style duck rig?

Just asking, because each one can be different in the blind style that best works with that boat.

I'd be interested in hearing how to rig up a nice blind. I've got a little puddle jumper 10 ft. jon boat.

I made a pretty sweet duck blind for my 10 ft jon boat. I used 3/4" galvonized conduit (Sp?) for the frame and attached sections of avery fast grass to it.

I spent a lot of time thinking of ways to make it and wanted to have something that was quick to disassemble. I wish I was more computer savy and knew how to get pictures on here.

One thing I did that works great for set up is I zip-tied "S" hooks on the horizontal frame pieces and hung the grass off of them.

I was a little worried about holes in my blind, so I decided to attach my 4x5' sections of grass onto a 2' wide roll of plastic coated chicken wire. I rolled out about 12' of the chicken wire out and zip tied the grass onto it. I made two 12' sections that I could wrap around my boat by having one guy hold the roll and another hang the grass on the hooks. Not only does the chicken wire hold the grass together, it keeps you from tearing the nots on your grass when you hang it up. I can literally cover both sides and the bow of the boat with 2 sections. I keep another single mat of grass for the stern. I have been very impressed with how it has held up thus far.

It was a very fun project, and is even more fun to hunt out of.

cA

Yup, made my own last summer too. I have a 14ft alumacraft style boat. Used the 1/2 inch conduit. I couldn't come up with a clamp style that really worked on my boat so I decided to just drill some holes and bolt it on. Once duck hunting starts I really dont do any fishing anyways so I dont take it off, even though it would take much just four bolts and your off. Went with the blind material you can get most anywhere...the year previous with a slightly different proto type I used real grass hand picked and applied...looked great, took way to long to do and I had to keep adding clumps as season progressed. Here are some pics. One folded down, two up. Hope this gives you some ideas. Btw...it workes great.

blind003.jpg

blind002.jpg

blind001.jpg

I have an Beavertail on this boat. It is a Lund WS 16 I sold last year. My new rig is an 1800 Alaskan with the same blind. I have tried everything over the last 20 years, (homemade, Avery, etc.) and this is my favorite. It flips over like a portable fish house in 3 seconds. It takes 30 seconds to install and remove with no drilling. It is waterproof, windproof and if you pull into the rushes you will disappear.