• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

So why put a fish into a lake that its not native to? All that does is change the ecology of the lake, well people have done that for how many years.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

Why would someone stock Musky! look what happened with the carp stocking they werent native fish either!We tried eating those musky once.now they go right in the garden with the carp

Which grows better under the musks egg plant or tomatoes? Carp actually give out a little fish taste So I thinkmaybe the musks may be better. smirk.gif

Primetime, First off I lived on Norway when those fish were put in the lake. IT WAS NOT DONE BY THE DNR... local resorts around lake had this bright idea they would and catch big muskies. I know of only 2 fish caught and they got filleted. Figured the others either deaded or were eatin by the pike in the lake.

Second, I have talked with dnr officals. THERE IS NO WAY THEY WILL STOCK GREEN LAKE WITH MUSKIES. Plus if there are so many muskies in Nest lake, now why do they not show up on dnr reports. None in gill nets, which will catch all species, even snapping turtles. Seems the skies know what a gill looks like and swims around it. wink.gif

Jim it was inMn traveler booklet when these were introduced.250 total fish.You should come up to meetings where they DNR tell us intentions.WE get info from them.The group that came to them was acknowledged,plans to let us know of public hearing etc .If local resorts put some in it was additional stocking.Give us a date when local resorts put some in.It would be nice to see how much difference in time between stockings.Survival of 2 fish really doesnt look promising.i will look into lake owners association books and pry some lifetime owners to see if even more has been done.

The report of three fish from nest last year and one from green were from DNR at meeting last Thursday.Come on up to Nest Lake Proprty owners meeting and here more about this lake.Things like 18 inch crappie from cedar Point etc.

I have to eat the big musks, there's a size limit-- They should put one on carp then we would have a real trophy fish! tongue.giftongue.gif

LOTWSvirgin, the way our lakes are managed around here I wouldnt be suprised if the meetings were for cookies and tea, perhaps a good game of cards.

Diamond Lake meetings are more about how to remove weeds,and improve water quality,with out doing much to their property,as to not to affect their style of living while sipping tea.Ya know its always somebody else polluting not them.

This is a forum that requires input,different lakes associaions have different agendas.Fish management has not been a priority at ones I have attended.Unless you cosider removing roughfish.

Heres my thought Prime the lake associations are worthless! Just what do they do other than blow hot air.they all want something done only for there benefit.and at others cost! I suppose seeing your so defensive you belong to one.Have they helped by not mowing to waters edge! NO they complain about farmers run off.theres lots of things they COULD DO but its not there fault now there's your pre school!They want the DNR and tax payers to up grade their lake,WHY IS ALWAYS OTHERS!

It would be great to have muskies in the area. But IMHO I dont see them being stocked in Green or Nest any time soon. Not with the walleye smallmouth thing still fresh and ongoing. But how about Koronis?? Also, even if muskies were stocked today, wouldn't it take 10-20 years to have a viable fishery?

primetime49 and sparcebag, I wasnt implying any group other than the DNR. You guys are doing nothing more than trying to better our lakes and all us sportsmen out there including myself thank you for it. So chill man grin.gif

LOTWS, you nailed it. If they want muskies so bad why not try eagle lake. It's larger than some of the lakes in the twin cities with muskies. OH that right we want to completely hose up Green Lake. Lake Independence in Maple Plain is the best musky lake in the metro area. It is only 20 acres larger. Most of the guys from Muskies Inc fish Independence. I know for a fact as, I was a member, and had fishing booth at the Musky Expo for 3years.

SO PRIMETIME LEAVE GREEN LAKE ALONE..

As for muskies in Norway lake, 3/4 of the people who knew anything about muskies in Norway lake have all died. Start digging into the Norway stocking program and when you do get all facts, Then come back and share. I know we won't hear from you for years.

wink.gif

I see some of you see the light grin.gif

I wouldn't hold my breath on Muskys getting stocked in Green.

If you want to catch big toothy critters there's plenty of big northerns around.

tongue.gif

virgin and jiggin,thanks for your comments,i think.when the DNR comes to a club meeting and tells us about something like this we relay it to public.I dont have anything to do with Gren Lake stocking .But I would be in line at the door for The DNR open meeting whenit comes.Jim these are facts on Norway stocking,when did you say your private resorts stocked musky in Norway lake??,we were one of resorts since 1938.I asked two other resort owners and they said they never heard talk of private stock,but do remember musky being stocked.Jim if you want come up here and attend some of various meetings as others do.

sparcebag,do they hold a pinky finger up when sipping tea.I would like to see a lake club with cowboy coffee and stiff shot of brandy in it today.You know the kind that you chew the last part of grounds for a while before spitting it out.Your mention on recreational cruisers [bRATS]is an opinion as mine was.Geeze I hate it when the line is in the water and boats force a guy to reel it in or lose it.Than they wave at you and like an (Contact Us Please) we usually greet them back.

LOTWSvirgin....AKA Luke R. from Minnesota. I assume you got home from the bar after drinking copious amounts of liquid courage and decided it was time to use the fishing minnesota forum as an outlet for your anger. Your last post was inappropriate and childish and probably written at a .20 blood alcohol level.

You had to of been at Wilder or Kinbrae. I'm an "old" Lakefield boy! You don't happen to work with a young man by the name if Nathen S. If you do say hello I lived accross the street from him. Take care!

If you guys think green is crowded now. Go ahead stock muskies and just think of all the extra boats that will bring, I was on miltona a couple of times last year, what a joke could hardly fish way to much traffic. If you want to catch muskies go to leech no one fishes muskies up there anymore and there are tons of monsters to catch. Leave are local lakes alone they are way overfished the way it is.

It sounds to me that people are finally starting to agree with me.. Leave green alone untill the dnr can fix what has already been lost. Don't add musky to the mix.

FINALLY, If i knew when the so called meetings were, Then i could go. A small tribe of wish-I-was a muskie fisherman think adding muskies would be so great. They start comparing green and nest with Mille lacs. These are 2 completely different biological systems. Some guys need retake 5th grade science class. My wife teaches the kids about ecological systems, maybe many more poeple should rethink this.

Find a lake that does not have a large river system going through it.

If I want to catch muskies, I'm willing to drive an hour or 2 to large lakes, where muskies have reached trophy size.

Why be so cheap, you'll spend that much in gas going to all those meetings.

Man!!!! You guys should hit up the DNR for a job. I mean you seem to be able to predict the future. How do you know if musky's would effect our lakes, you dont?? Do I support Muskie's being introduced to ONE(doesnt have to be Green) of our lakes, sure I do. Do I know what/if there are any effects to stocking muskies to an area lake, NO nor do I pretend too, like some off you do. That's for our DNR to figure out. Jigginjim, your comment on "wish-I-was a muskie fisherman"?? Im sure that there are people that belong to a Muskies Inc. chapters like myself and fish these awseome fish quite a bit. So I dont know where you come off with that comment. Alright I'm done venting about this, way to many biologists in our area.

Didnt someone say they stocked some on norway??? Well that shows you how well it worked. If we are going to experiment with our lakes i think we should try slot limits. Not introduce a predator fish into our already hurting and overfished lakes.

LOTWSVIRGIN? IM JUST CURIOUS,,,,,, HOW ARE ANY OF US READERS WHO READ THIS SUPPOSED TO TAKE ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION SERIOUSLY WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WERE YOU WORK? confused.gif