• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

We started to hear that the elusive musky is being pushed for introduction at DNR level by MUSKIES INC>the lakes being considered are NEST AND GREEN,because they already have them,or KORONIS.I vote for both what do you think?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

Hmmmmmmmm, where did you hear something like that?? It's wasn't from Bruce at the Little Crow Anglers meeting was it??

grin.gifwink.gif

J.

Really confused.gif I wonder what this will do to the walleye problem they are having on green right now. I am worried that musky will really slow down the reproduction of walleye, and any other species for that matter.

Always has to go to the whole "It's gonna crash the walleye population" confused.gif There are what, 20 walleye lakes in the area. Why can't we have one with musky's in it?? Look at Mille Lacs, Vermilion, Ect. I mean none of us really know what effect Muskys would/will have on Green so why does it always have to turn to that?? The other musky fisherman in the area, including myself would love to have a lake with a fishable population of musky's in it without driving at least an hour. Just a thought.

Its about time! If the area walleye fisherman were as concerned as they say they are about protecting the holy green lake walleye, they would practice a little catch and release or fight for slot limits. smirk.gif

I look forward to having the option of slinging bucktails for musky in one of our area lakes.

Amen EsoxCop!!!! Now let's hope the DNR pulls it off despite all the walleye critics out there.

Quote:

Its about time! If the area walleye fisherman were as concerned as they say they are about protecting the holy green lake walleye, they would practice a little catch and release or fight for slot limits.
smirk.gif

I look forward to having the option of slinging bucktails for musky in one of our area lakes.

We do have a group that is fighting for slot limits right now. There was also a meeting held about the green lake fishery. The walleye population is down riht now in green lake so no I do not think right now would be a good time to introduce musky into the mix. Maybe a few years from now if the fishery bounces back.

yeah, that figures....Lets get the WALLEYE fishery back in green lake before stocking musky. Ever think the the stocking of musky might accually help the fishery!!!!

Hey fish-4-fun, maybe if they intoduce musky's they will eat up all the smallie's and northerns grin.gifgrin.gif. I mean thats what most people say crashed the walleye population in the first place.

Like Esoxcop said, If people would practice a little C&R things would be different. Some walleye fisherman, not all, could learn alot from most musky fisherman's ethic's smirk.gif.

Back at the meeting in jan or feb on green lake they said that the main problem with the fishery is that they can not stock it to what they should because there are not enough walleye fry produced to go around each year and green has been shorted every year. The bass and northern are not the main problem, but they do add to the problem. I am not against getting musky into our area, I would just like it to wait untill they get green back to where it was and get a problem fixed before they do something that could make it worse.

A QUAINT LITTLE DRINKING TOWN WITH A FISHING PROBLEM,fish4fun,they really did slip up on stocking lake with walleye.It was fingerling that they totaly missed on.Fry does not take at all in Green.Other sad note is that if lake classification is changed,this does not mean that it will definatly get stocked.They will have to hold a meeting to make public mention and take feedback on MUSKIE stocking.I think they need some lakeshore property owners that fish in order to get lake in order,or at least get some of those that fish on lake board.Also city itself has to get behind proper stocking,buisness owners,clubs etc.area tourism sect..Sorry but I would like to see Muskie,I think they could get sunfish and rockies back in order.

I think everyone is assuming Green is going to get stocked. I hope it will, but Nest would be fine also. I really don't care which lake gets stocked, as long as one does.

I really get a kick out of people talking about the lakeshore owners association on green lake. I'll bet you the majority of them fish about once or twice a year and these are the people with the most input on what gets stocked in "THEIR" lake.

I would love to see more lakes stocked with muskies. But I have to admit I am biased. I grew up fishing Leech for Muskies and I am hooked.

One thing that might be go to do is to see what is happening with the stocking of Gull Lake in the Brainerd area. Last fall the public meetings were held. I have not heard much about them. But I heard that the comments were mixed.

EsoxCop,they say that Green and Nest would be a paired group.Talked to some musky forever guys past few years and I wouldd really really like to see it happen.As far as green Lake Property owners,we the tax payers gave them a 31 million dollar water sewer and bike-walking path to make thier lifestyle a lot better,maybe they could let us guys that fish have some fish.After all we still let them put the docks and lifts in public waters dont we?They really dont have many fishermen as I found out doing weigh ins for tournaments and followup.I have to add this,we have a couple DNR landings that easily hit 2 to 3 million dollars.They seem to be putting them nearly everywhere around lake,are they simply a creature comfort for owners to get personall stuff into,because some of them do not have any parking space.Maybe when county commisioners were building and DNR keeps adding things they may be neglecting something called fish.Geeze I hope this does not just become a cruisers lake[remember my quote 2 years ago in paper[100 brats just cruising around]it was supposed to say 100 boats and they printed it wrong and after seeing it i now think it came out better .//////////Freind of mine on Lake Minnetonka said they pay for dock and lift permits in Mound,not all cities have charge.If the property owners association and city propose a $10.00 per lift and $10.00 per dock fee on these articles placed in public waters,and put it into a general stocking fund that guarentees private stocking above and beyond DNR stocking they could easily meet the 10% that is allowed without interuption Of DNR and maybe hit as much as $10,000.00 a year for additional stocking of all fish species we seem short on.

"Spread the word" All you muskys guys make sure and tell all your fishin buddys about it. That way when/if there are public input meetings on stocking musky's. We can get a bunch of guys that actually fish them to show up and show our support to stock them!!! grin.gif Green would be an awsome place to have them, all the structure. They could get very big cool.gif Nest or Koronis would be fun ones to fish too.

eyehead,when the meeting comes it will be well stocked with people. they put booths in at sports shows since70's 80's 90's and 2000's.I remember one guy camping out at civic center in Willmar sport show in 98 that was a hint of how a organized group works.Or 30 guys working St.Cloud shows at a time.They actually legislate action.They the MUSKY or MUSKIE fishermen will be heard in numbers.See you their

I'm all for muskies in Green....It might just scare off some of those recreational boaters and swimmers that are all over the lake! Think about it, who wants to go tubing or wake boarding with fisherman throwing foot long lures covered in hooks all around you?? grin.gif

If thats the case,chasing skiers pleasure boaters,and jet skiers off I hope they would consider Diamond!! But its just a big bowl not any structer.Maybe a rumor about the little fish in the Amazon,that swim? crawl? up your urethra! were accendently released in Diamond!!

LOTWSvirgin,I think northern count is less than 1 per net during electro fish.In some parts of county say Big Kandi its 10 or more per net.We already have Musky in both Green and Nest Lake that pours into it.These are also connected to Calhoun and flowage into and out of both.

The big question is--ARE MUSKS ANY GOOD TO EAT? I've never ate one. tongue.gif The only thing I've ever seen done with them is catch and let them go and say "what a beautifull fish" laugh.gif

LOTWSvirginI dont expect any great showing of fish soon if it does happenA fingerling musky is a one year pond tended fish that would be 9 to 12 inches in size.nest harvested 3 adult musky last season and Green one from what we have been told.Creel on Green said that several 13 to 15 pound northerns were speared this winter ,and no musky.Norway lake chain received Musky about 30 years ago ,those were all 2 to 2and 1/2 pounders,and we had a resort on Games and never heard of even one muskie being caught or speared.The musky strain that they want to introduce here now is different than the ones in now or at Norway.Its the big ones.

primetime49 curious as to what strain there talking of stocking it with?? Leech lake strain or some Wisconson fish??

Eyehead,the ones they told us were leach.I am getting more info from Muskies inc.today so hope theywill post on here.Also going to check with local DNR to see how specific plans are.

Juneau I caught and ate one once.Wont again!But I would eat one of those sturgeon,you caught in rainy!Or even those shovelnose outta the StCroix

An article in last Sunday stated,Mn.DNR now will stock only Leech strain,for growth,survivability,and something.I guess they learned its the best stocking strain to use.Maybe 2 Sundays ago? but I did read it.

I guess if you cook everything right they taste OK, BUT if your only going to stock fish for catch and release why not fish for carp and release them? Bullheads there you go! Oh they are a first cousin to a trout and some people do like them. laugh.giflaugh.gif

LOL.... If I went fishing for the sole purpose of keeping fish to cook, I would quit fishing. It would be alot cheaper to go to a store and buy fish smirk.gif.