• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gizzard Shad Die-Off

marble-eye

Had a big Gizzard Shad die off the last few weeks on the Croix. They live for approx 3 to 4 years. Feed on algae. Cat's primary food source. I am sure that it is every species food source. They were all around 13", so 2004 must have been a big hatch. The eagles and gulls had a big feast. Will be interesting to see what will change for this year. Positions, colors and depths.

The more that die off the better. Actually the way nature works if they have a big die off then they will likely have a very good "spawn"...lol. All in all the system is in great shape in my opinion. It's nice to see the high water we have now, I'd like a normal rain fall this season, so us river guys can have some current from time to time.

Keep catchin'

Turk