• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Edgecrusher

Spring Shore Fishing Around New Ulm ?

Edgecrusher

Hello everybody, I'm new to New Ulm and I'm stuck here for 6 months of work. I'm going crazy in the hotel and need your help. I'm looking for spots to panfish, but I know nothing about New Ulm, its MN/Cottonwood river and area lakes. And to top it off, I don't have a boat so I will have to fish from shore. Can anyone offer advice (specifically where and when) to point me in the right direction for connecting with some spring panfish within 30 miles? I look foward to passing on my findings while I'm here. My sanity thanks you.

Scott26

Clear lake and hanska offer your best shore fishing and are the closest...maybe sleepy eye but never fished that lake.

River wise....anything in town is "ok" i guess if you like river fishing.

delta hunter

Clear Lake south of New Ulm as good numbers of bluegills and crappies. The crappies are on the smaller side, but the gills get to pretty good sizes when you find them. Your going to want to hit Clear before if really green's up. Last year in mid april I went out there in my waders and just walked the shoreline casting a slip bobber rigged with worms and did really good on the gills.

Hanksa can be a real hit or miss situation. The last weekend of walleye fishing this year, me and my cousin did really good on crappies. We caught quite a few in the 10-12 inch range. There are also good sized gills and breen's. I did catch a 11 1/2" breen in the middle of Feb.. I was in a little bit of shock when that one came up the hole! I would try by the beach, t dock and in between. Don't be surprized if you hook into a couple of eyes if you go to Hanksa.

Team Otter

Good information delta. Thanks for sharing.

Please shoot me an e-mail when you have time. Thanks.

info@tightlinesguiding.com

harvey lee

Dont forget the river as there are some good eye spots and also some great cat fishing. What beats a 30-40# flathead for fishing? Only in the river. smile.gif

eyepatrol

I agree with Harvey Lee. Go catfishing! Leave those pesky little crappies for the rest of us. wink.giflaugh.gif

harvey lee

Eric, you have that all mixed up. You crappie fish part of the day and then go cattin. The best of both worlds.

Edgecrusher

Ha. I'm not familiar with fishing for cats, but I can see why a 30-40# fish would get you excited. I do love the potential for pulling big crappies out of the shallows this time of the year. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Sounds like there is hope for me. I can't wait to get out there and learn new waters. Roughly how much longer until the crappies move shallow enough to get at from shore?

harvey lee

Dependant on the water temps when they will be in close. On the lakes I fish this could be a few weeks yet before it really cranks up. When the ice first goes out I'll start in approx 30fow and move in with the fish as the water warms up. Thats not to say that you cannot get some now but the real action from shore or the shallows for me will be abit yet.

If I remember correctly, my shallow bite doesnt really heat up untuil the last of April or the first part of May. That is also dependant on water temps. I would say when the water warms to the high 50's to low 60's you will be in business.

eyepatrol

I agree with HL. I'm not a great crappie fisherman, but last year when the surface temps hit 58 - 60 degrees, I found them in the shallows (4'). I've yet to catch what I consider an ice-out crappie, but maybe next weekend if all goes well.

TO's seminar a couple days ago certainly provided some good info on fishing for ice-out crappies, and I intend to put that info to use here as soon as possible.

By the way Edgecrusher....Welcome to FM! Good to have you on board! There's some great people on this site. And keep your eye open for get-togethers. They are a great opportunity to put faces to those names!

delta hunter

TO - you've got mail!!

I also would have to agree with fishing the river! Both the minnesota and the cottonwood! I usually don't really fish for flatheads until the dog days of summer, only because I choose to focus on the eyes in the spring and fall months. I usually fish by riverside park, there is a nice culvert going into the river. Plus there is a nice sandbar going strait out from the landing right there. I usually with cast rapapla's or powergrubs and also jig livebait. The cottonwood is good for channel cats in the spring months twoo when the water is up a little bit. I usually will fish the cottonwood by Hoffman Const.. Well I wish you luck with your fishing adventures and wanted to welcome you to fishing minnesota!!

riverrat56

Sleepy Eye can offer good shore fishing, also has a few docks, lots of smaller sunnies, once bass opens up, casting along the highway can provide some good action.

Clear is a good bet for small crappies and sunnies, fish the pier with jigs or minnows on bobbers.

Hanska can provide some crappies and sunnies in the boat channel in the county park, but bullheads will get any live bait you toss out, stick to plastics. Walleyes can be caught there or in the creek going out the lake.

St.James lake is on the fringe of that 30 mile range, lots of nice docks to fish off of, decent population of pan fish, lots of 12-14 inch bass.

The river can be good anyplace in town, Minnecon landing, Riverside, and Eckstein all offer shore fishing on the Minnesota. Riverside gives up some nice walleyes on jigs around opener. Otherwise dunk a nightcrawler on the bottom to catch carp or anything else that swims.