• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN boat registration question

GlassEyeangler

I purchased a boat, motor and trailer at a garage sale last summer. The boat was actively registered in the state of WI, and the guy was selling it at his garage sale for his buddy across the border, as a favor. The license bureau is giving me the run around on getting the proper MN registration. They are questioning the trailer more than the boat, as it doesn't have a title. To my knowledge, you don't need a title for a 15' boat in the state of WI. I do have the proper WI boat registration, with the owners signature, which proves the sale of the boat took place; however, I don't have any paperwork on the trailer, nor has the trailer been licensed in this state.

Any recommendations? I want to get it registered quickly for obvious reasons...open water!

15' aluminum boat

25hp motor

trailer

confused.gif

Trailers have a title. I know it's weird that the boat has a reg card and the trailer has an acutal title.

If you don't have the title the right thing to do is have another one made up. This really shouldn't be that big of an issue and any deputy registrar should be able to help you. In the meantime I don't see why they won't issue out a temp tag for the trailer until a title and a permanent license can be issued.

I've purchased two boats and trailers from Wisconsin. The first one was a smaller boat and the trailer did not have a title because Wisconsin did not require it to be titled. When I got back to MN with it, I had to take photos showing every angle of the trailer, any identification, serial numbers, manufacturer etc. and then had to fill out some paperwork to get a title in MN.

I don't remember the second boat being that big of a deal but it was a bigger, heavier trailer and it may have been titled or maybe MN just accepted the serial number/manufacturer info. I just don't remember.

Anyway, there is a legitimate chance it was not titled in WI and there is a way to get a title that involves the photographs etc. You just need to push your license registration office for more of the info on what they need to get it titled in MN. You may have just talked to someone that hadn't encountered that situation before.

ccarlson

I agree with spargebag register trailer as homemeade, theyw ill give you a sticker and you are set for life, no need for a title.

Boat will be different, if it was titled prior then you will have to get it, the previous owner will have to release it. If it doesn't have title you can have him obtain a duplicate, if he does not cooperate you can have him served by a Sheriff, he has to provide title since it was on his name and you have proof of a legal sale.

Thanks to all of you that responded. Your comments and experiences are very helpful. I'm going to try and get the proper trailer license by telling them its a home built trailer, and as for the boat...I should be in good shape with the WI Boat Registration Cert card and receipt.

Again thanks for the feedback, and I'll let you know if it works.

smile.gif

I've been told you can buy a boat out of state...and not pay that state's sale tax, then bring the boat back and only pay MN sales tax on the trailer. Is this true? or BS? or illegal?

Yes claim the trailer as home made. You pay 10% tax on parts so rememer all those axels and tires you had in the garage.

Yes this isn BS. You pay not sales tax on the state you buy from but but pay tax and fees to the state you bring into. There is no free lunch. at leat not in this state.

Quote:

I've been told you can buy a boat out of state...and not pay that state's sale tax, then bring the boat back and only pay MN sales tax on the trailer. Is this true? or BS? or illegal?

Depending on the state you bought the boat, most of them they will charge no sales tax if you move it out of state within a short period

If you ever get stopped by the hyway patrol and he does a registration check, you will be in big trouble, he can tell a factory made from a home made, you are better off giving the make of the trailer and a estinate of what its worth when you reg. the trailer, After all 250 dollars times 6 1/2 per cent is $ 16.25. wink.gif

You don't pay sales tax on the boat when buying from a private party only the trailer. There must be a card for the trailer if it was licensed and that should tell you what it is. Otherwise call WI with the plate number and get the info.

Wisconsin doesn't require plates for trailers.

I have been living between Wisconsin and Minnesota but I mainly reside in MN. I just keep everything (snomobile, drop down ice house, three boats, and a three wheeler) registered in Wisconsin (they are all kept and mainly used in MN) I have a Minnesota DL and I've never had an issue when I'm checked on. I pretty much gave up on Minnesota's registration process after a huge hassle trying to track down everyone that owned an old 70's fiberglass boat I owned. I even have my car registered in WI. The only thing I need to have registered in MN is the canoe I take into the BWCA (Wisconsin doesn't require canoe registration)

I Bought a 1950 Willies Jeep in Wisc.It took me 22 months and special insurance,just to get a Mn. title for a nonroad ready vehicle!! Your HOME MADE trailor was made from 3 different trailors you say? UM good Idea.AND TRAILORS are not titled anymore,to save Dept.of motor vehicles time & money,they get registration for life.bill of sale or registration tab required.

the dmv has a blank for that you can have the previous owner sign saying it needed no tital in his state and then you can get it regestered wink.gif

The deed is done...got the boat registered and a perm permit for the trailer for just over $100.00. I really appreciate everyone's responses...they were very helpful.

smile.gif