• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Westside Guy, Moving Northeast

Although I was reluctant, I agreed upgrade the homestead this past week, based on my hen's strong suggestions.

I will be moving from Cologne (near my favorite lakes Waconia and Minnetonka) to Roseville, within blocks from McCarrons Lake.

So now all I've learned in my 25 years fishing the west metro and those lakes are now a little farther away than I've hoped and will probably mainly fish them on the weekends.

I will probably be looking to the lakes in my immediate area: McCarrons, Phalen, Owasso, Snail, etc to put in some hours after I get off work on weekdays.

Who can give me a little insight on McCarrons other than what the DNR's lakefinder can tell me? or Owasso, others nearby, etc.

I am mainly an eye-guy but like to chase early pannies and muskies/other toothies later in the year. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

I suppose now I'll have to change my username to NEMuskeye... grin.gif

I hope your luck is better than mine. I lived in Eden Prairie for a couple of years, moved to Roseville 10 months ago, and am now looking for a house in Eden Prairie. I haven’t heard too many good things about the lake you speak of other than it has a few walleyes and an overabundance of depressingly small panfish. I fished Josephine a few times and found an overabundance of small panfish; same result at Snail Lake. I guess Johanna and Owasso can be hit or miss opportunities. I’ve read good reports about Bald Eagle, White Bear, and Big Marine. But after my experience in the NE metro, I found myself driving back to my west/southwest metro haunts. Good fishing.

I have fished McCarrons a few times with my neice off of the dock and caught some nice sunnies and haven't tried for much else there. I don't think the lake gets much pressure on it except from that dock. I drove by a couple of times this winter and never saw anyone on the lake. I was thinking of trying it a few times myself, but never made it out. You aren't too far from White Bear lake if you still wanted to target muskies and I also heard of people catching them in Gervais off of the fishing pier. It is all hear say about Gervais as I have never seen one caught, only heard about them. There are a lot of little good lakes around you that you could hit up after work that would be worth the effort as I don't think they are fished that much. Good luck wherever you try.

How about those that have fished Bald Eagle, WBL as well as Minnetonka and Waconia? How do the two bigger water bodies on the eastside compare? I'm anticipate that they're hit pretty hard in the summer.

McCarrons is a waste of time, nothing but potato chips and hordes of water skiers! Bald Eagle is very good for bass...I don't fish for muskies, but I hear it's pretty good. White Bear is a good overall lake, the access can be a zoo though. Big Marine is my favorite by far of the bunch! Excellent bass and pike, and some nice sunnies! Forest Lake is good for bass, pike, and sunnies too! I would avoid the city access though, try the lake #2 access along the northshore.

NEMuskieguy, there are some good lakes up in that neck of the woods - especially for bass & northern. The walleye lakes aren't as good, except for White Bear (I've heard rumors of the elusive Bald Eagle walleye but never in many hours of fishing managed to put even a 10" eye in the boat. Nasty little lake!). But there are some smaller lakes, a few of which have already been mentioned, that hold eyes. They're wary, pressured, & less likely to bite due to the constant churn during the day - but they're there. I've caught them, except in Bald Eagle. Did I mention I hate that lake?

I lived in St. Paul for ten years & moved to Eagan not too long ago, so now it's my turn to learn a bunch of new lakes. It's more fun to find a three-acre pond hidden in the brush down here full of good-sized bass than work my tail off for a few walleyes anyhow!

I'd stay away from McCarrons, as other guys said. Make sure you lock up in that area as well... crazy.gif I used to live near Como...

I live in WBL and hit WBL and Bald Eagle a lot, and used to live in St. Paul and hit Gervais a lot. Have had a couple trips to Gervais with 2 muskie days, nothing huge, but fun. Also got some nice walleyes there, with one day two twin 21" ers. Also got a 38" pike there a few years ago - yep, it was a dandy (released, but somebody prolly kept it by now...)

White Bear Lake is great walleye lake, but you have to fish deep and dawn or dusk or night for best results. Use light line and lively bait, and small hooks, though I have caught some trolling cranks. Great bass and pike lake for action, and some danies. Neighbor got a 23 smallie this summer, and my bro got a 23.5" smallie years ago. Great lake, clear water. Can get busy, very busy.

Bald Ealge is also great lake. Dirty water, shallower, actually easier to catch fish in, IMHO. Even walleyes. Yep, there are walleyes there. Lots of little ones, and some big ones. Last summer my bro got 3 muskies (37", 39" 41") in two mornings of fishing. Had bunch more follows and hit/misses and I lost a dandy before I got it close to the net. Lots of muskie fishermen there, sometimes gets crowded, but no biggie, most people are pretty nice and talkative and friendly.

Big Marine is great bass and pike lake. We have got eyes there, but nothing regularily, so that lake kind of ticks me off smile.gif but can always find bass or pike for action.

Got some tigers on Johanna and Joshepine, but haven't fished there much, with WBL and Bald Eagle close by.

Your best "new" water and a lot of fun can be found on the St. Croix. You are not that far away and it is really, really fun and good fishing. Might be too far to be your regular spot, but you will be missing out if you don't give it a few tries now and then. You name it, and you will catch it there. Maybe all in the same trip!

Welcome to the NE!!!! The other good thing about the NE is that you are real close to northbound 35E wink.gif

Hi Westside Guy -- what type of house are you selling and have you determined a price? -- just curious -- i know someone that might be interested

I would reccomend driving over to the St. Croix, Very clean water and some nice fish. It is probaby prettier and more scenic. But get off the water by 10am on Saturday and Sunday! shocked.gif

If you wanna go a little farther north there is the chisago chain as well. Probably the best bet for metro walleyes. I've caught lot's of small eyes out of south center. I've had good success with crappies on the entire chain as well. And they are all good bass and pike lakes. Traffic on hwy 8 sucks though.

Unotrouble,

I have already sold my house and it only took 9 months and two realtors. I got a lot less than I hoped, and had to drop my asking price $40K from the start of the process.

I probably would've had better luck here doing a post in the for-sale section with pics than through my realtors.

I've heard good things about the Forest Lake/Chisago areas, which is great to hear. I look forward to fishing those lakes now, it shouldn't be too terrible of a drive.

It sounds like if I stick to the bigger bodies: Chisago, WBL, Big Marine, Bald Eagle, etc, things should be ok. I will miss the west though.

If you prefer smaller lakes there's a few over here that would be right up your alley.

Comfort Lake, which is the first lake in the chisago chain you would pass on hwy 8 is a nice lake for bass and eyes. There is some natural reproduction in the lake too because of the sunrise river. It's about 200 acres.

Otter Lake is right along hwy 35 in WBL, you take the 95 WBL turn off, then left (north) on otter lake road and it'll take you right there. It's 300 acres and loaded with pike! Get's really weed choked in the summer though.

Big Carnelian is just south of big marine lake. It's almost 400 acres. Has good numbers of bass and pike. The DNR started stocking walleyes in it a few years ago, but I don't know how they're doing.

A few others to mention are Peltier, Kroon, DeMontreville, Square. Check them all out on the DNR lake finder. Trying to fish all these different lakes will keep you busy this summer. Have fun! Let us know how you do.

I dont think McCarrons is a bad lake, just tough to fish.

Gervais Chain can put out some good tiger muskie action but they run on the small side. Never caught any sizeable walleyes but I dont fish em much.

Bald Eagle and White Bear are both good lakes for muskie and walleye. Of the two I find Bald Eagle fishes easier.

Owasso and Johana can be frustrating to fish but if you stick em out they can reward you.

Id say fish the lakes in the area and pick a few that you like and fish them a bunch this summer and learn them. While it makes you better to be able to fish different waters its nice to have a few lakes close that you know the milk runs on.

EDIT* Going back through and reading Id second most of what Boxmn said and also second the St. Croix. It has awsome fishing and opens the two weeks before the MN opener. Also, dont feel like you have to stick to the big name lakes in the area they produce but their are lots smaller lakes that have very good fishing.