• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"must have" lures

52#FLATHEAD

I am just barely getting started in walleye fishing. I have fairly limited funds & would like some advice on what lures I "must have" to do some lake trolling, river & dam fishing. Thanks smile.gif

There is a lot of good advice in the "Walleye" forum.

If you are on a budget than there are a few lures that I will suggest...

Trolling Crankbaits:

Rapala Husky Jerks (size 10,12 or 14)

Berkley Frenzy Firestick minnows (a great value and a real sleeper bait)

New Berkley Flicker Shads or Rapala Shad Raps (a great all around choice)

Soft Plastics:

3"+4" Berkley Power Minnows or Gulp!

Various ringworms (many companies make these)

Jigs:

1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2oz jigheads (Fireballs are good but a bit spendy so decide what you really need)

Picking out what colors and sizes depends on the waters you plan on fishing. On clear lakes look for natural colord baits. For stained waters go with brighter baits/colors.

If you can't decide than go with Firetiger. This has been a favorite of mine.

There are so many baits, colors, sizes that it's hard to pin down just a few. Just look at where you want to fish, how you prefer to fish, and what you have confidence doing and start from there.

I hope this helps,

Corey Bechtold

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Your tackle box should be stocked with the basics that'll enable to cover your bases as far as presentation goes. Using a presentation thats not the best for a situation is like putting a square peg into a round hole.

Jigs are versatile in that they can be used in a lot of situations. You can drift with them, throw out from shore and bounce them back, but where a jig shines is working structure over. With one cast you can cover all that depth on break or hump and you can do it and and stay in the zone the whole time.

Stick baits, cover the depths with Original floaters - deep running sticks.

An assortment of slip sinkers and split shots.

#4 Mustad hooks and some #2 if your using large shinners or suckers.

Barrel and snap swivels.

Corkies/floaters.

Worm inflater.

Lindy Rigs, you have everything to make them yourself.

Minnow/Leech/Worm harnesses. I make my own and use the same for all with 2 hooks.

Slip bobbers

I can fish Spring - Fall with just those and not miss not having something that'll match any situation.

Down home in Southern, mn and in the ely area where im going to school I do best with Jigs early season through about june-july. From there you cant go wrong with 3-7 jointed shad raps in baitfish or natural colors and rattlin raps in 3-7 in the same colors. I especially like the crawfish and or firetiger. rattlin raps can be controled to desired depth and the jointeds run about 3-6 feet. You can cast, troll the cranks, and you can do everythign with jigs.

On a limited budget, I have found the Storm lures and Rattlin' Rogues to be cheaper than the Rapalas. Of course you won't have as wide of a selection to choose from, but it is another option.

Trolling or casting crankbaits is one of my favorite ways to catch walleyes in the spring or fall. Nothing like that aggressive hit from a hungry marble eye!!!

Rapalas are worth every penny until you find the one out of 100 that dosent run right no matter what you do...that being said thyre more money but I think theve caught more fish too....

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one lure it would certainly be the original floating rapala. I would just hope id have some fireline for it though! grin.gif

Fireline, Bottom Bouncers 1oz, Spinners (white and Gold), and everything thing else that's been said unless someone mentioned something besides fireline. It's Merc....10 horse!

wally divers will save you a little cash, and they run pretty good. anything that says berkely or rapala will catch walleyes. other necessities could be narrowed down depending on the waters you fish and from where(boat or shore).

my old trick for saving money on cranks is to walk a heavily fished, small lakes or ponds right after ice out. all the floating lures that have been lost in the weeds, or stuck in a fishes mouth have had all winter to work free and have just been sitting under the ice. if you have a lake with lots of accesible shoreline, you WILL find crankbaits right after ice out. smirk.gif

There's a pretty good arcticle in the new In-Fisherman Mag about new cranks for eye's, good read. The new Rapala Minnow Rap looks like a winner smirk.gif

I like the shad raps #5&7 from rapala, the minnow raps work well too. I like to hit Gander, Walmart, Holiday, Fleetfarms and anywhere else they sell tackle about this time of year as they are moving out last years baits in the bargin bins and you can buy 5-7 dollar baits on closeout alot of times for two or three bucks and sometimes less. The good old countdown rap is a favorite too as it casts a mile and if you have a set depth you are fishing it can be real effective! I will be looking at the flicker shad as well because they seem to be priced right and have the right shape for eyes but I haven't fished them yet.

Tunrevir~

The best way I have found to get a good supply of lures is to start doing your grocery shopping at a Wallmart supersenter. So what you do is, when you buy your groceries, throw in a rappala every time. Then you can start acumulating a decent amount of lures while it all comes out of the food budget.

Yep! Oh and if you have little ones you have to volunteer to go and get the diapers and wipes. Nice thing is is mama is happy because you are so wiling to help out with the household duties and.....dooooh, here comes my wife.

Tunrevir~ grin.gif

I fish rivers quite a bit and snag expensive cranks. When you're picking up your lures get one of those contraptions that slides down your line to your whatever your snagged on, bounce up and down a few times and will usually free your lure. Costs about 10 dollars, pays for itself in one trip.

52 Flathead,

All lures listed above are great, but if you want a budget savvy solution to walleye fishing...keep it simple. I have a ton of different lures in my box that I never use. The two things that I use the most are slip bobber and leech and plain live bait Lindy rig. Both fished as light and simple as possible and almost always a red hook.

I fish in shallow water every spring with a spinner and leech. Eagle Claw makes a 4 and 6 pack of ready-made spinners. The spinner blades are small...a little smaller than a dime, and come equiped with a #2 size hook. The leader is usually 8lb test line. The best colors for spring in my experience have been, chartruse, orange and pink. You can find them in the hook section, and they're around $2 - $3 a pack. I almost always buy jumbo sized leeches too.

Good luck, and happy fishing!

Although I do not fish walleye very often any more I used to and would have to agree with the shad rap as a choice if I could only have a few lures. Very versatile can cast or troll and it will catch just about anything you want. I used to have good luck casting them into the shallows around points and rip-rap. Good Fishing!!

lindy rigs/little joe spinners, on a slow drift, my bread n butter go to walleye rig, i always like leeches on mine but minnows and crawlers work to