• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tune up on 115 Yamaha 4 stroke

Northlander

Question

Hey Valv or any of you marine guys.

I need a tune up on my motor. 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. I do all the oils etc. myself. What can I expect to have the shop do if I did all the oils and plugs?

What all is there to do? Valvs and Synchronize carb?

What else should I have them look at when its in?

Thanks guys you are a great help to many of us who lack in the mechanics ability.

8 answers to this question

Northlander,

There should not be much more to do, other then change your fuel filter and lower unit grease. Also grease any zerts that you can find.

Cliff

Hey Northlander,

I have the same motor, may I ask why you feel you need a tune up? My thoughts are the reasons for needing the tune should steer the shop in the right direction (poor idling, loss of top end RPMs, etc.) should help them with what to look at first.

I'm asking because I'm going on year 5 and wondered if I should do anything else, clean the fuel injectors? Check some of the gaskets? All is running perfectly, but thinking of preventative maintenance.

Thanks

Chris

I am being told by a few that the impeller should be changed every other year or so. I am still debating about doing it myself cause the cost of this is about $150

cjac I have been told by a few friends with the same motor and by the shop that with as many hours as I put on my boat its time to have the valves checked out and synchronize the carb. My motor is a 03. I have no issues with my motor at all.

I change oil/filter, lower unit done and new plugs as well as grease zerts twice a year. Like I say my boats on the water every almost daily and I do a lot of runnin. May be overkill but I see it as a cheap way to make sure its always runnin. I hate it when I cant go fishin.

Quote:

...have the valves checked out and synchronize the carb. My motor is a 03. I have no issues with my motor at all.

I believe your motor is an EFI so you wouldn't have carbs to sync.

Some earlier F115's were carbeurated but they have been efi for the last 5 years or so. They do need to have the valves shimmed though after 2-300 hours or so. At least Yamaha recommends this. That won't be a cheap deal though. Its a pretty complex job. Good luck.

I have owned two Yamaha 115s a "01" and now a "04" and can see no reason to be doing any major motor work if the engine is running well. confused.gif

I got some dirty gas last summer and had major problems with plugged injectors and filters though! mad.gif

Had to have my injector screens cleaned two times and finally another in-line car type fuel filter installed. That took care of my problems! laugh.gif

Cliff