• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hitch question?

erikwells

I just bought a 17 foot Starcraft Fish and Ski. I am also the new reluctant owner of a mini-van. First of all does that put me in nthe class 2 hitch catagory? Secondly anyone have a suggestion where I can have a shop put this on for me? Lastly how much should it cost? Can't get the boat on the water until I get a way to pull it.

Thanks,

EW

In the past I've used U-Haul. I would recommed them for quality and getting the job done right.

Quote:

I just bought a 17 foot Starcraft Fish and Ski. I am also the new reluctant owner of a mini-van. First of all does that put me in nthe class 2 hitch catagory? Secondly anyone have a suggestion where I can have a shop put this on for me? Lastly how much should it cost? Can't get the boat on the water until I get a way to pull it.

Thanks,

EW

Dude... "Minivan" and "Tow the boat" go together as well as "Grandfather" and "Erotic Back Massage!"

Just kidding

laugh.gif

wink.gif

I've heard good things about U-Haul as well...

I also go there for Propane as they charge by the pound instead of by the fill, and have a good price...

They're kind of an unsung place.

If you live in Elk River/Anoka area there is or used to be a place on (South side of) highway 10 between Anoka-Ramsey sports and the Vineyard. I think its called MN Hitch or something like that. I'm not sure what it cost though. Good Luck

Erik, depending on the model, you should be able to find a class III hitch for the 'grocery getter'. I did for our Venture, not to increase towing capacity, it won't (check your manual to make sure you're under the towing weight capacity - my was plenty strong/big for what I tow) but to avoid having to have two receivers, balls, etc. If your van doesn't have one, get a transmission cooler installed.

I think the class III looks better than the class II anyway grin.gif

You're correct that it does not increase the towing capacity of the vehicle but the hitch does have a towing capacity of its own and in most cases, it is less than many vehicles.

For example, my F150 has a towing capacity of 7200# however the classIII hitch is only rated to 3,000#.

Bob

I bought a hitch at Fleet farm and put it on myself. I did this on a 2002 Dodge Caravan. There were four bolts and it took about an hour.

I went with the class two hitch because I would not tow more than its capacity. It appears to me the class 3 hitches hang lower on the vehicle. I do not think it looks good hanging down and I was concerned about it draging snow or hitting the ground when exiting a drive way.

I'll second MN hitch. Had them put a Hidden Hitch on my Amigo. First class folks over there. However, I've heard good things about U-haul as well. I have an Uncle that wanted to put a hitch on a car, but they refused because they new it wouldn't handle it. Did the right thing instead of lining their pockets. That's first class in my book, too.

I have had UHaul put a hitch on one of my vehicles, did a good job and was reasonably priced. I have also put a hitch on our other vehicle myself. As long as you get the correct hitch for your vehicle, it is just a matter of securing 4 bolts. The wiring harness however is a whole different story crazy.gif