• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I fished the Red in a couple spots a ways South of Fargo. The water was high and still really cookin' (fast). We managed a couple small male walleyes, but it was tough going. If we can avoid the rain for the next several days, things should shape up pretty quickly. A buddy of mine did well over the weekend, but he was downstream a ways from a traditional Spring haunt, suggesting to me that the fish haven't moved up to the spawning areas quite yet.

So... things should kick off nicely any time, starting South and working their way North.

Round 2 South of Fargo on the Red. Unfortunately, it was a big repeat of Round 1. Struggled mightely!!! Had a couple confirmed bites, but that's it. Tough sledding. Wanted to fish a couple more spots, but ended up short on time. Now that we're gone, I'm second guessing where we fished and wished I'd have headed the other way from the landing... Oh well, never know until ya try! If the weather straightens out things will really kick into gear towards the middle/end of next week South of Fargo. They should work their way North nicely from there. However, somebody's got to turn off the water wors!!! NO MORE RAIN for a little while, OK?

I'm a big catfishing fan and I know those guys won't be hungry for awhile. Every spring I try to catch some walleyes out of the red and I fail miserably. I usually use a jig with a white powerbait type called a 'twister tail' I think and just cast out into an eddy near a dam and slowly retrieve it. Put it this way, my luck the past 3 years is about 3 or 4 walleyes. What do you guys use crankbaits, jigs, livebait, etc, and what spots do you look for on the river besides dams.

Hillbilly,

There's two basic areas that I look for- 1) dams and 2) anywhere clean water is entering the river. There's a ton of dams around, so don't limit yourself to just one. Hit one, try another, keep moving until you find fish. Also, places where county ditches, tribs, creeks enter the river can produce. If you're not finding fish in these two spots, work downstream 1/4 to 1 mile looking for likely hidey-holes that walleyes may be using.

Jigs do the majority of my work in the spring. However, there are times when a slip rig (modified lindy rig) or a crank outproduces jigs. Try wide wobble, shallow running cranks like a shallow reef runner or bomber long A.

Good luck!

Stupid Rain!!!! Looks like I can leave the rods in the garage for another week.. mad.gif

HillBilly,

I catch quite a few walleyes and sauger with a white powergrub tipped with a minnow. I catch the majority of those fish in the spring within 10 feet from shore. They tend to hang out on the rocks right below the dam.

Scoot, I new you were hard core but where on earth are you finding a dry shore line to fish from. Looks like it might be a few days before I even think of getting on the river up this way. Lots of logs and still alot of ice flowing in the Forks. Spring is starting to look real good for me. Just can't wait for the trip up North again kid has been talking about it since last year.

First time down I fished from shore. Last trip I fished outta a boat. Shore would have been fine the second time too. I'm guessing the shore is looking pretty white right now though! Dang weather!!!

ibwhnt, I can't wait for the trip either! I've got a whole new crop of muskie lures that'll need to get tried. I think I might have a few more possible muskie fisherman this year, we'll see... Let's hope the smallies are as cooperative again and that the walleyes are a little more cooperative. Getting there before a big weather system would be nice this year instead of immediately after. I'll put you in charge of making sure that happens this year. grin.gif

Kent....Are you gonna make it up this way for the Sturgeon Incursion this year?

Scoot, I'd hoped to get an E from you last week.....Oh well.

I was thinking about going but I haven't even got the boat out yet, and am in no hurry when the weather is like this. Just don't have a spot to keep it until the back yard drains, unless I put a dock in.