• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

neighbor dog issue

Dahitman44

The yip-yip dog keeps coming into our yard and doing his business. We have a big problem with our neughbor in general -- his fault actually, he built a six foot high wall between our property.

Last year the wife built a nice flower garden with rocks to keep the pooch on his side but we could NOT go to the curb -- city ordinace.

WHAT CAN I PUT IN THE GRASS TO KEEP HIM ON HIS SIDE.

Any ideas -- there has to be something.

Thanks

see if your city has an ordinance that requires animals to be on a leash at all times, then contact the proper person to handle issuing them a ticket. Maybe take pics for proof.

Doesn't the wall keep the dog on the owners property? Try this. Take a 12 pack over to the neighbor and have a beer with him. Step in some of the dog craaaap and get it on your shoe. After talking about hunting and fishing for a while tell him you better get back and get going on your "Honey to do list". If the stink hasn't filled the house yet make a comment when putting your shoes back on that you must have got some of his dogs crappp on your shoe and ask him nicely if he could keep his dog from doing his business on your yard. That your wife would really like that. If a cold beer doesn't clear up the problem nothing will. Then rig up some motion sensor activated lawn sprinklers where his dog enters your yard. Nothing like a cold shower.

Ah, the bad neighbor syndrome.

Unless I'm not seeing something properly, I would think a 6' wall would keep out most dogs, unless it's supermandog.

I agree, the best avenue is a 12 pack and gentleman conversation. Maybe the dude doesn't even know poochie is making lawn sausage on your grass. After civil conversation, and the doggie is still coming by to make deposits, a garden hose or blaze orange spray paint works very well.

Guys -- you are right. There isn't anyone in our small town that I could not do this with except this guy. This guy is bad. All because I was doing my job at the paper and had to print some things about his brother -- our mayor that embarrassed him.

This guy thinks he is better than everyone in our town and will not waive at anyone on own block. He also will noit make eye-contact -- he will go into different doors a church even hide his face in his jacket on the stairs -- he is a piece of work.

The Great wall stops halfway up the frount yard (city ordinace). It looks really stupid. That is why the wife built the raised flower/shrub garden.

Does that explain more?

What can I do? Is there anything you might suggest?

Dude, I'm serious. Garden hoses work sometimes. Other times the dog likes getting squirted.

Blaze orange spray paint also works wonders. Both the dog and the dog owner greatly dislike it. It teaches a lesson when civil conversation doesn't work.

Get a air horn and wait by the fence, when the dog comes into your yard blast the horn.

Years ago I had a similar problem. I tried asking nicely several times, but the neighbor couple were pretty awful. One day I let my lab take care of the situation, but the fallout after he lifted his leg on the little furball was pretty horrendous. The little dog was absolutely drenched, and ran home and right into the house dripping.... Both husband and wife were hurling curse words at such a volume that another neighbor called the cops.

Not good. Funny at first, but not good.

A few days later I was strolling through Menards and noticed those glue papers that you use to catch mice. A light bulb went off in my head, and I purchased about a dozen of the big ones, and placed them where the neighbor dog liked to do his business.

That poor mutt got the papers stuck on all 4 paws, fell trying to run and got a few more plastered to his poofy fur. The neighbors purchased a cable shortly afterwards.

I do not know what your laws are, but I found that a paint ball gun works well. Low cost ones are available at some sporting goods stores. Make sure it is not set to high. The dog will not be seriously hurt, and its a pain getting the greasy paint out of the fur. grin.gif

Awesome funny answers but what about a smell that dogs don't like that I could use and a blocker.

Would that work? Kind of a liquid fence?

I heard one the other day that was new to me. Buy biggest container of black pepper or hot pepper that you can and spread it on the lawn. Dog comes over looking for that perfect spot he'll more then likley have that nose to the ground. Big old whiff of pepper will make him think twice about going in that area again. Not sure of anyone using this method but someone told me to try it with my neighbor's dog. Just wish people respected their neighbor alittle more and also take some responsibility for their dog!!! Leash, fence or invisible fence does wonders.

every time you find a yard biscuit, deliver it to their doorstep.

get the local police involved. after a certian amount of complaints, they will have to do something about it.

I'll never forget one day, I was over at a friends house having a beer in his garage when this neighbor-lady came over with a scoop shovel of $hit and through it into his garage at his feet. It was one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed. Between the PO'd scowl on her face and the look of "what the" on his face it was truly a priceless moment.

Try a super soaker squirt gun with doe urine mix. The dog may not mind the stink, but when he goes inside the owners should. Could be dangerous during the rut though......

All great swugestions. I like the pepper one, but will it hurt my pup's nose if he gets a whiff of it?

Don't get me wrong, guys, I know pups make mistakes, but these people just let their dog out and don't wat5ch him and don't care -- or his wife pretends to once in a while. I know dogs make mistakes, but the owners should watch him.

There are no such things as bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

Properly trained or kenneled or leashed or tied up this pooch would not be making land mine deposits on your yard.

I would suggest that any poop from his behind that ends up in your yard should be tossed back over the wall to it's rightful place.

I don't allow my own dog to go in my yard, I would certainly not put up with someone else's dog doing that.

GOOD LUCK!!

I believe there is a products made to keep cats away from windows indoors. It's a hard plastic "mat" that has plastic "pokers" that stick up. No harm done, but the critters don't like walking on them, and will avoid them.

Or, would it be possible to plant a thick hedge of thorny bushes? Maybe evergreens would work. I suppose doggy may go peepee on the shrubs, but then the doggy owner would have the dead brown parts of the shrubs to look at.

I thought about the hedge idea but it is too close to the street (codes) -- I need to think up something that dogs won't like to smell. Th thing is eveythning I can think of dogs like to smell. Or they check it out, at leasst.

Tabasco sauce?

Step in some crap and then go invite yourself into his house. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah -- funny. wink.gif

Think the tabasco would work or something like that?

I know 2 different guys who used tobasco to try to curb their labs from chewing... They both agreed it was just flavoring! One guy lost close to 1/3 of his dog's house in a year! I say it won't work... but it'd be cheap to try it...

Good Luck!

Ken

My lab started to gnaw on the corners of his dog house, what a knot head. I soaked the chew spots down with Bitter Apple spray, no more chew problems.

Anyone know how to stop the digging? If so please post on my other thread.

I got it a while ago (>5 yrs) at a pet store. Try googling it, you can buy it online as well.

Try going to Menards or Home Depot and purchase some of that wire fence to go around a flower garden. It's 12" to 18"high and just sticks into the ground. Run that from the end of the wooden fence to the street. And it's temporary. No ordnance against it. Both the neighbor and the dog should get the hint. Won't cost much either.

PoleBender

What I'd do is gather up the other dog's gifts and put them on their side of the lot line.

In regard to the tabasco - my dog liked the taste... didn't faze him at all. What did get his attention was a bunch of Cayenne pepper mixed together with some butter into a red paste. I put that on the shed (that he chewed a hole in) and he hasn't touched it since that first lick.

marine_man

MM --

That is a GREAT idea. Copper likes to eat the posts on the deck as well. That should really help.