• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW DRENALIN

huntingmaxima

Just got my new Drenalin tonight. A little spendy but I guess you get what you pay for. Hope it is good as my last matthews. Shoots fast and is really smooth. Absolutely no vibration to it at all.

I love mine even better than my XT. Much smoother and weighted better with the little bit of extra length.

I talked to Dawn at Cabin Fever and I am going to go and shoot one. It may be time for a new bow and I am a Mathews dude for sure. cool.gif

Boy, it's really incredible what they've done with this year's bows. The new Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews are sooooooo much nicer than last years bows!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully tommorrow I can run to cabin fever and look at Mathews and see what all the talk is about.

I think you'll like it. I finally gave up my Legacy for one this season and although I didn't like the grip at first I've really come to like the bow. Very smooth and a bit more zip than the Legacy had. Light too.

no disrespect to anyone but whats with getting a new bow every single year. I mean really if it works why spend 800 on a bow thats going to be outdated in a year. I shoot a hoyt that cost 500 hundred and i truly believe its better than any matthews on the market and yes i have shot them. smoother, quieter and less vibration. Its perfectly tuned and i shoot 320 plus fps and get this, its ONE year old.

Zehn,

Exactly my thinking. My first Bow was a Hoyt Eclipse that I got at age 15. It shot deer. It needed a different pin for every 5 yards or so. At age 25 I got a Hoyt Vortec with the Cam and 1/2. I have 1 pin that I use to shoot out to 30 yards. I will never see myself buying a another bow again until it's time for my kids to go hunting. Really what more can you ask for?

I have owned two bows in the last 15 years. Every 6-8 years I like to buy a new one as they are better than what I now personally own.

I could still be using the bow that I owned 20 years ago and probably still harvest deer. The new equipment is better than my older technology.

As far as different types bows go, every archer has to find the bow that works for them. Just like guns, you need to find what fits you and what you are comfortable with. Many great bows for the archer today.

I replace mine every 2-3 years now, because I shoot about 80-100 arrows through it almost every day. I don't just pick it up a couple weeks before season and start practicing again. Just me, but I love to shoot bow. Cheap entertainment when considering how much I shoot it. It's either replace the string or just sell it a get a new one. I chose getting the new one.

Not to get off subject, but has anyone shot the Drenalin, Bowtech Guardian, and Hoyt Vectrix? I now know 3 good buds that have shot all three and all three claim the bowtech rules. Not to diss Hoyt or Mathews, because of the three, two of them are diehard fans of Mathews and Hoyt.

When I stopped the other day at Cabin Fever there were some guys shooting and they commented on how well they liked the new Mathews. I did not have time to wait to shoot it but they were impressed.

Reasons for buying a new bow,

Old one was an ultra max which was about 8-10 yrs old.

Had to go a lighter draw weight do to rotator cuff surg.

This is the best one I do not want to leave any $$ for the kids when I kroack! (Just kidding on this one)

Quote:

no disrespect to anyone but whats with getting a new bow every single year. I mean really if it works why spend 800 on a bow thats going to be outdated in a year. I shoot a hoyt that cost 500 hundred and i truly believe its better than any matthews on the market and yes i have shot them. smoother, quieter and less vibration. Its perfectly tuned and i shoot 320 plus fps and get this, its ONE year old.

Because the gear is just as much fun as the hunt/fish etc.

Thanks, since I found out we were about the same age, it just about whipped me first...

I don't know what I am more happy about, catching that or finally taking the time to figure out how to post pictures on FM...

Gus,

320 fps seems rather fast, is that a hunting setup, I'd assume not. If so, what bow are you shooting and what the heck are you shooting for arrows? You must be pushing that bow to its limit on arrow weight, I think the "experts" recommend an arrow weight nothing less than 5.5 gpi X draw weight.

I am just curious because I though my new drenalin shot fast. It is rated for 320 but I am sure shoots nowhere near that with my hunting setup on it. I would guess 270-290 fps at best, I still have to get it on the cronograph.

He must be shooting the 2006 Hoyt Turbo Tec (330 fps IBO) or the 2006 Ultra Tec (320 fps IBO). Both bows retailed for around 700-750 last year.

Knute78,

I see you are in Roch, Did you buy your Dren at Archery Headquarters? If so is Marty able to keep any in stock yet or do they still need to be ordered? thanks! grin.gif

Just shot the Drenalin,Guardian and the Mission X3 at Cabin Fever all shot good went with the Drenalin what a Great Bow can't find one bad thing to say about it.

Gus,

I'll check on Archery Headquarters tommorrow and see what the stock looks like on my way home from work. I actually got my Dren from Archery Country in St.Cloud because I know one of the guys who works there.

I know Marty's shop pretty well and stop in regularly to shoot when the weather isn't so hot, like now, so I'll take a peak for you.

I'll most likely be hanging around AH a few times next week/weekend. I'm staying with the family in Roch while hunting Turkeys. We usually end up shooting or just shooting the bull down there a couple times while in town. If all goes well early on in the week I might be looking to trade in my switchy..... oh man blush.gif

Gus,

Where you hunting at near Rochester? I didn't get drawn this year and decided to try and go after the birds with the bow and a blind. I have land near Rushford/Houston Area to hunt. Just wondering.

Chad

We are hunting 347 near Chattfield. I was drawn for A season this year and I am hoping to bag one with my Bow. In the off years where I don't get drawn I usually end up down in Missouri.

There are several bows on the market that will reach those speeds (320 fps) and more and shoot better than than really good bows. My 70 pound Tribute (set at 65 pounds..maybe a little less) is over 320 through the chrono and it has lots of room to spare. I could go much lighter with my arrow and field point/broadhead set up (I went with a little extra splpine to be safe). 320 seemed screaming fast at one time, that will be the standard in 3 years...thats my prediction!

I am not saying there are not bows that shoot that fast out there, but realistically it is just not the case with most bows as of now especially with hunting set-ups, I know 300 is acheivable, I have seen it.

I got this from the Archery Exchange website on IBO and AMO speed ratings.

"If we try to make some generalizations about the two different ratings we could say that the I.B.O. speed rating is much faster than most archers could achieve, and conversely the A.M.O. speed rating reflects a speed that is less than what most shooters could achieve with the same bow. If a bows I.B.O. speed rating is 320fps and its A.M.O. speed rating is 245fps that would mean the average archer would shoot that bow somewhere in the middle of that range.

All I am trying to say is that most bows are rated using IBO (It shows faster speeds in general, helps with marketing) in which there are ideal conditions set up for each bow. "Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 70lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 350(5 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing."

This is the rating system most bow manufacturers use to place a top end speed rating on their bows. I do believe that it is pushing many of the bows to their limits with arrow weight though.

You have to use pretty light arrows to achieve those IBO speeds. With the new bow technology it can be obtained. However, if a bow is rated 320 IBO the only way you are going to get it to shoot that fast is to use the exact settings used for the IBO rating test. To get faster than that one would need to shoot shorter arrows.