• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Little D? my people tell me April 9 -- It is good to have "people"

Pelican Rapids area= April 7th (if there is a big wind next week). The ice I fished was pretty honeycombed on Saturday. It was like drilling through butter. The holes from the previous week were still open and bigger. So much for the ice season.

Skitterpop,

there is alot of ice fishing left, i just walked off a large lake near Pelican Rapids Monday night, there was alot of standing water at the shore lines and i imagine, buy the weekend you will need hip or chest waders,it will be well broken from shore, i have also taken a small duck boat after that to get to onto the better ice in April. Dale that used to own the bait shop many years back on the North end of Lida used to put a boat you could get back on forth and charge you, heavens now days a resort or bait shop on the lake, would never think of or do that. There was over two fet of ice just honey combed on top Monday, but yes it is going fast, but it will cool down, just depends on how much rain we get coming up here. There is no way that ice on Lida will be gone by the first few days in April, i know most people think im nuts venturing out on that black ice. My guess on Lida april 16th.

Lakes around the Grey Eagle Area are starting to pull away from the lake...some lakes are pushing 10 feet so far and trails are showing water. Ice heaves are showing water also. Wont be long if we get rain and sun

seems like little detroit goes off early,. one of the firsts., so i would say ., the morning of april 11th it will be open,. but who knows what the weather is going to be ., the sooner the better .,crappie!!!!!

I have driven up to Pelican Rapids in years past and all lakes

up to Fergus Falls were open including Pelican near ashby and have gotton on Lida, that lake is teh very last in that County

to go. Ripleys believe it or not!

April 14th, so i can go open water fishing on my 21st April 15th.

A. Shae

scoot --

You guys are stealing my date -- Don't anger Da Hitman. wink.gif

Move your dates up a few days with the wind, sun & rain it is going fast! Yeah baby!

Hey Guys,

Now it may look like my date may be early, but should warm up after this and break from shore good and the wind will catch it, get teh boats ready in a few weeks

All I know is, I will be amazed if this week doesn't solid the ice right back up on all lakes. I was looking forward to ice out up in Devils for the weekend after this coming one, but that for sure is not going to happen. It feels like January out there right now!

It's so funny because just 2 weekends ago, I was loading up the ice gear in the back of the truck to go ice fishing while wearing a Tshirt and shorts in 70 degree weather. I thought that was nuts so I just went to Wisco and fished the eye runs in the rivers there. Now, it doesn't seem so out of the ordinary to be loading up the ice gear agian... confused.gif Weird weather so far this year indeed!

Hey Crappie King are you the same Steve that used to wear that old army jacket and practically swim to the ice to get too Bass Harbor for slab suns and craps. I used to be out there with my dad and brother pulling our duck boat 1.5 miles on the ice to the spot. It used to be 20 sunnys per 5 gal. bucket and 100 fisherman on that north bay sitting under their tipped over duck boats in the rain drinking wine, mixing Syrian salad and pull up 1.25lbs sunnys hand over fist. Them were the good fricken days. Steve if you ever get a chance to get to Kelliher near Red Lake please stop the bait shop. Take er easy.

Slimy,

Ya, that was me back in my younger years, it was a old hooded Parka, from world war 2 my Dad used to wear and i took it over even when he was still alive, he passed away about 11 years ago. Ya that lake was the best in the country or State back then, one March my Dad and i got got our Photo in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press IN 1976, We had 60

sunfish or Bluegills all around One Pound 5 0z and bigger and the whore stories of the Crappie that i caught and what came out of there was unbelievable. I am going up this weekend ice fishing, everybody thought is was a over, but you coulden't fool this old timer, everbody thougght the ice would bve out early in april, i even said the 16th and i'll be wrong. The Big bluegills are gone in Lida but a few Crappie still around, but you get alot a small ones now days and a few big ones inbetween, the size limit, they must be over 11 inches, going north of Deroit Lakes this weeekend and will hit Red this Spring, do you own the bait shop in Kellier, give a holler back would ya! I wish i would have know years back to release some of those big gills and CRAPPIE, NOW DAYS I RELEASE MORE FISH.

Hey Slimy,

Now you got me going, im trying to place you guys, seems aufull familiar, you weren't the guys that owened that cabin

on the North Shore of Lida, there were always the chosen few

that would be out there every year with the Duck boats, you will need them in a couple weeks,but not me to dangerous and getting Old. Boy! you were right them were the Days. I will for sure stop in at the bait shop at Kellier and say high this Spring, what is your name anyway. I still have that old Parka with all the oil stains on the back from walking out with it hung over my shoulder and a minnow Bucket bucket and sticks with a rope hanging from a canvis

bag from the auger, them little red sleds came out right after that in the late 60s, walking threw all that heavy snow was a bear, not many people had the 4x4 trucks back then, now we all do thank God, please stay in touch.

Hey Steve, Ya my dad still has the place on the northend, but back then we used to stay at the public access in the back of dad's pickup, in the 70s. Dad / Freddy is still around but not doing so hot with parkinsons but I'm sure he remembers those days. We lived in St. Paul near Rice and Maryland, but too much has changed, even old man Gimp sold his bait shop acouple years ago so we made the big move up to the metropolis of Kelliher. I'm Mike Washenberger, and it was me, brother John, and Freddy my dad. Well, got to go, headin for Rainy for the 2nd time this week, boy do I miss the rat race. grin.gif

Hey Mike,

Sure now i remember your Dad Fred, wasen't it when hunting season came around, terry Washburn that lives by the Creek on Lida, used to try and steel Freds spot, or them two used to get into it then, say hi to your Dad, i haven't seen him in years hope he is geting along ok, you bet i remember you guys well and fishing those Gills down by the island that one year. I will for sure stop and see you guys when i get up to KELLIER.

Well I am guessing my ice off guess of April 12th is out the window. My new guess is my birthday the 23rd.