• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Newer year class fish

Random guy

...that didn't make it. I came across these fish on the ice. They ranged from 6"-7.5", left for the crows. I'm guessing they got culled out as the 13"-15" fish showed up.

littlecrappierw3.jpg

I hope there are many more of them that size swimming up there.

You guys have the best of both worlds up there with the huge crappies and numerous walleyes! grin.gif

I had a buddy who was doing netting for the PCA this past summer and he said when they netted the Blackduck where it came into Red and the Tamarack, there was literally thousands of young of the year crappies in their nets.

They obviously aren't swimming now laying dead on the ice. Stupid people need to lose their licenses for good.

I have a few choice words for people like that, but we cannot post them on a website such as this. I can only imagine that you guys are uncovering a mess over there jonny. When are people going to learn and stop wasting resources. They say "what goes around comes around" and I sure hope that all people who take part in actions such as this get whats coming for them, and as soon as possible. And people wonder why PETA and other such groups find it easy to target us...its a few bad eggs like this that make all the rest of us look like slobs that have no reguard for any of natures valuable gifts.

I guess that its better to have a few fish left on the ice, rather than the countless propane cylinders and garbage bags full of who knows what! The people who left the fish are losers! I dont understand it either. mad.gif

The only thing I can think of as to why people do that is because they think by getting rid of some of the small fish it'll help the others grow bigger. I hate seeing fish left on the ice. I've never seen any crappies, but many many little perch and lot's of eel pout. As bad as the fish is, seeing the propane tanks and trash is even worse!

Pout on the ice dont really bother me as they make good eagle food. Game fish however is another matter. There is no room for this. its one thing if one does not go back down the hole and you cant keep it but if you put it in the pail or livewell you need to live with it.

Quote:

Pout on the ice dont really bother me as they make good eagle food. Game fish however is another matter.

I believe 'pout are classified as a game fish... and throwing them on the ice is wanton waste... ie: breaking the law...

why intentionally kill something if you have no plans on putting it to use?... The eagles lived for eons without help from man throwing 'pout on the ice or by providing roadkills...

Good Luck!

Ken

The pout help keep the baitfish down so the gamefish will bite better on our lines!

Dudes! Eat the pout, they are some of the best meat you can catch in fresh water. I would take pout over walleye any day. Clean em like a bullhead and eat it like lobster.

Paul

Do you know what a bowling ball and a pout have in common?? If you had to you could eat a bowling ball. I have had them cooked every way you can imagine and they tasted like (*^&$&

. I know there are people who will eat coots as well but YUK to both. Just a thought though. in the early 1800's on the east coast lobster was considered garbage and feed in the poor houses and orphanages.

The trick to pout is they must be cleaned ASAP if they freeze or sit very long at all they get nasty.

It is somewhat messed up, I throw back walleye and crappies just because they don't really do much for me as table fare, now I catch a pout you would swear I just won the lottery.

Quote:

Paul

I have had them cooked every way you can imagine and they tasted like (*^&$&

Are you nuts!!!. grin.gif

Back straps boiled and dipped in butter equal poor mans Lobster.

the trick to getting people to eat pout is to not tell them that it is a pout until after they eat it. most people ive seen eat it can't really tell the difference between pout and walleye and even crappies.

I've heard of a method where you boil the pout in 7up? Has anyone ever heard that before? Or tried it?

I've heard of it, but never tried it. I would rather save my 7up and mix it with BV.

That's how we do it... boiled in 7-up, dipped in drawn garlic-butter... MMMM 'pout!

Good Luck!

Ken

The only Eel Pout I have tried were delicious. We boiled some in water and dipped in butter - great. Others were boiled and them dipped in cornmeal and deepfried. Both excellent. These pout were kept alive and unfrozen before eating.

If you have ever had fresh smelt, you know how good they can be. If you have then had frozen smelt you also know how bad they can be. Pout work the same way.

Eat those pout fresh and you will love em.

Ya know that sounds crazy but years ago I saw a fishing show and they were making fish in the dishwasher.If I hadn't of seen that I would say your are NUTS!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Ya know that sounds crazy but years ago I saw a fishing show and they were making fish in the dishwasher.If I hadn't of seen that I would say your are NUTS!!

I made trout that way once. It wasn't too bad.

Make sure not to add dirty dishes or dish soap! laugh.gif

How stoned do you have to be, to put your fish in the dishwasher?

I was wondering the same thing analyzer laugh.gif

As far as the 7 up , never tried it but have had it with Mountain Dew. It was supposed to sweeten the meat? In my opinion it great as it is and the only thing the Dew did was turn the fish a funny shade of light green--

I'd say just boil in water and dip in butter- it's great. like any other fish, don't overcook. If the weather is cold, i like to leave the pout on the ice just long enough to stiffen them a bit. Totally alive they are squirmy and a little slimier than slightly froze on the outside.

The worst thing you can do is let them freeze solid,then they aren't as good tasting and really slimy

I seen a recipe and showed to a friend of mine that is a Chef, I did it just to get him all worked up and it ended up pretty good, house smelled like salmon for four days from the steam although.