• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OK Who is going to leave????

fishing tech

Now that the gophers season is over, Who will be leaving early? 4, 9, 10? Myself be a big fan would like them all to return but, school work vs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

okposo and johnson are good players, but they are far from great. I would say 2 more seasons for both of them, they are just not that good yet. Look at the stats. okposo is a very lazy player and johnson lets these guys go by him low in the zone and score on a wrap around, I mean come on that move worked in squirts when there was no checking. Bottom line is they are just not good enough yet.

Briggs and Vannelli are gone due to graduation.

Johnson I would assume is gone Okposo is ready for the next step but I hope and think he will stay for another year.

Goligoski could leave also.

Wheeler should be back.

As always we will reload and be force in the greatest sport on earth..... grin.gif

I understand that, but Johnson has already said he wants to move on to the next level. Okposo is close I think is close but would love to see him and the others in the maroon and gold.

Star Trib had an article about this today. Of all the players that left early last year, the only one in the NHL right now is Kessel. That means Chucko, Irmen, and the should-have-been Hobey: Ryan Potulny wink.gif. These kids should talk to Mike Crowley....

Quote:

okposo is a very lazy player

what games were you watching? confused.gif I watched every game this season except the Alaska games they didn't televise, and all I saw was Okposo often getting double-teamed, hooked, slashed, or all three. He's always having to break through checks. It's a wonder he even got any goals they way he was covered during the second half of the season.

If you want to talk about lazy, look in Gordon's corner. He's always suck-holeing back on the opponent blueline for the "big play" that never materializes, and when it comes time to back check he's rarely in the defensive zone covering someone... mad.gif Total under-acheiver

I think Johnson will be gone; I'm surprised he hasn't announce that he's gone pro yet. Okposo and Bariball should stay another year, along with wheeler; they'll definitely all be gone for 2008-2009

Quote:

okposo is a very lazy player and johnson lets these guys go by him low in the zone and score on a wrap around, I mean come on that move worked in squirts when there was no checking.

Okposo lazy??? I'm with Deadhead, what have you been watching. I feel he is more NHL ready than Johnson and he is an absolute stud on BOTH ends of the ice. Although Johnson probably has more potential long term potential with his size.

As far as Johnson I think he needs work and should stay as he coughs the puck up to often but I'm no expert. On that goal he got "beat" by Porter who is one of the fastest players in the WCHA. In all honesty he really didn't get beat, he kept him below the goal line and the wrap around was from behind the net almost. Frazee has to make that save.

Johnson should have stepped out and forced him into the corner or ridden him into the boards. As far as porter being fast that may be, but there are alot of fast skaters in the nhl. so if johnson goes pro he shouldn't go out when gaborik or other fast skaters are out there? My point is that there are still alot of things for him to work on before he is ready for the nhl. I am not arguing about okposo and johnson being good, I am just saying they are not ready for the nhl. Okposo getting double teamed is just an excuse, if you look at the stats he didn't even lead the team in points, if 2 guys are covering 1 than someone is open and he needs to find them. more assists. Look at all the studs in the nhl with alot of points crosby, thorton, st. louis. teams focus on stopping them and they still pick the teams apart. thats what good nhl players do, if okposo can't do this in college, how will he do it in the nhl? I am a gopher fan, but I have seen better players in the past that were ready, imo. theses guys are not.

Quote:

I am just saying they are not ready for the NHL.

You could say that about 99 percent of all drafted players.

The sooner Johnson gets to an NHL camp and starts playing whether its AHL or not the sooner he will be an established NHL player.

Quote:

My point is that there are still alot of things for him to work on

As much as I want him to stay obviously he's going to improve more in a NHL camp then at the U.

None of the underclassmen should leave. Gophers have a young team that overacheived. Look at how many players in past years have jumped to the pros and haven't made it. If they would have stayed to mature physically/mentally maybe they would be playing in the nhl. Those that have stayed such as the Jordan Leopold's are playing in the nhl. Lucia thinks many of them would be better off staying to gain the experience and mature and become more dominant. These players should tell themselves that they have some unfinished business here and should comeback and win a national title that they deserve. At least they could say that they were champions once if they don't make it at the pro level. I think they shouldn't jump to the pros until after their junior year.

Quote:

If they would have stayed to mature physically/mentally maybe they would be playing in the nhl.

I don't buy that at all.

Quote:

Lucia thinks many of them would be better off staying to gain the experience and mature and become more dominant.

No he doesn't he wants them stay and play for his team as long as possible.

The way I heard it was that he was not going now to finish the season w/ st. louis (like Piskula from UW is doing w/ the kings). It also was stated that he is still undecided for next year; hopefully he stays.

• 2 weeks later...

First-round draft pick T.J. Oshie said Wednesday that he will return to UND for his junior season instead of signing a three-year contract with the St. Louis Blues.

"It was hard turning down the money, but that's not the most important thing," Oshie said. "Being here the last two years they've been the best of my life. I've made a lot of great friendships and our team has a close, family mentality. It would be tough to give that up."

Oshie is the third UND underclassman who has decided against turning pro in favor of returning to college. Hobey Baker Award winner Ryan Duncan and second-team All-America defenseman Taylor Chorney said Tuesday that they also will return.

Oshie had 17 goals and 35 assists for 52 points in 43 games. He was a third-team all-WCHA selection this season.

The Blues wanted to sign Oshie at the conclusion of the season, but the Warroad, Minn., native said no formal offer was made when he informed them of his decision to come back to UND.

"St. Louis made this hard because I loved what I saw there," Oshie said. "But they weren't forcing me to go one way or another. They were comfortable with whatever decision I made. I decided the route I want to take and it feels good to know they are going to support me."

IMO,thats what seperates UND from UM these days; they're players seem to stick around longer and I think that makes them better down the stretch than what UM has been the past few years. I hope the gophs keep this bunch around for a year or so, I think they could be good with the experience they gained last year, because it sure looks like UND will be good next year.

wow and Barry Melrose said that they all would be gone next year, he doesnt know college hockey. I didnt like him much as a announcer during the frozen four. From the sounds of it Chorney, Oshie, and Duncan is staying. so whats the word with Toews? leaving or anything?

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

so whats the word with Toews

I would assume he will sign with the Hawks shortly after the WC.

Has Okposo signed yet.....I'm guessing now he'll be gone shortly also.

I'm originally from East Grand Forks and I read the Grand Forks herald online alot. I'm pretty sure he is staying. Sounds like they think they have unfinished business to do. I think they have a good chance of doing it to. Tough for me to say becaouse I'm a gophs fan.

I believe Toews is going. I think the Blackhawks are relying on him to come play. The kid isnt even in the NHL and he has been a great contributer for Team Canada over that the WC.