• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looper /north shore report

Quote:

The bite could be alot better even though I caught two of them today. One was a keeper 25" the other one to small 15". Rivers need some rain, that will bring more fish into the system. There were a few other fisherman catching fish but overall the river is slow. [image]

1001069lc8.jpg

at the french??

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• andrew chadwick

• vermilionwally

• youngie22

I finaly landed my first looper ,,,,Im not sure how many hours I have into looper fishing but its close to tripe digits ,,,I didnt witness too many loopers getting hooked ,,so I hope we get some warm weather and rain so it picks up some,,,,did see some guys from Linders Angling Edge filming but dont think they got any worth while footage

Randoid

Fellow FMer's.

I need some advice. I have a buddy, whose son is returning from Iraq on Friday, for a 3-week leave before returning. I have been asked to take him out next weekend, (along with Dad who caught his first steelhead ever a couple weeks ago, fishing with me at the Root), to try for his first steelhead.

Choices are unlimited, time is the factor.., as we only have 2-days.

I have been fishing steelhead/salmon for nearly 20-years, so no "how-to" or "where-to" advice is being asked for. What I am asking for is your suggestion, as to where to take this young man and his father.

I really want to take him to the North Shore, (lower), so he can perhaps catch a couple 'loopers, and keep them. However, I am hearing the rivers even on the lower-shore, are very low and clear. Even those fishing the mouths are not doing well. (I have gear for both rivers and lake-casting).

We could go to the Brule. He would have to have a little luck to catch one to take home, yet this is a precious stream, and fish should be released. I hear that there is a ton of snow, and if that should melt, the Brule will look like Starbuck's Mocha. I also hear it is a bit of combat-fishing.., not what this young man needs to experience right now. (That would probably be the case on the Shore too though)!!!

Final choice is back to Racine, WI.., and fish the Root. Most of the boys there are saying it's over. River is very high right now, but should be just about right by next Friday, (the 20th).

So fellow chasers of the chrome..., help me make a decision.

North Shore (lower).., South Shore (Brule).., or Lake Michigan tribs like the Root? Your thoughts are appreciated!!!!

A sincere Thank-You in advance.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Can't give you any advice on the Root but as far as the North Shore I think the mouth of the French would be his best bet.

Thank you sir.

Only thing that makes me gun-shy on that one is the crowds. (I know, there will be lot's of people just about everywhere.., but that place can be especially intense).

I will give your advice some serious consideration.

Have a great day.

guys were out in full force on the north shore this weekend. not a lot of fish being caught but there are a few around. we got a couple steelies but the water is still really cold.

I saw a few boats in the bay. Looks like they tried to get out of the entry but the ice blocking it wouldnt let them out.

Bluebird and French are where I assume the others came from.

Quote:

McQuade road access.

DNR site says it'll be open Fall of 2007. I'll call around today and see what I can find.

Were you able to find anything out on this?

insert fan fair here....Finally!!! the big lake finally gave up her first fish to me. This is my third year trying and today I landed a beauty Stealhead. Not only my first Lake Superior fish but my first stealhead to boot. I only had my camera phone for picture sake and not sure how to get that from phone to here so no pic. Really wasn't that busy out there today, picked up a bit towards eve, but for the most part it was pretty quiet. Saw a few people leave with nice stringers this morning the rest of the day was pretty slow. I will definitely be back. Oh, the stealy came on a black looper bug/waxies. Next step catch something to bring home.

I was out at the Lester today. Fished about a half hour, one bite but no fish. Using black looper bug and an inch or so of crawler. I wouldve stayed longer but the guys i was with wanted to leave so we fished the upper Lester a bit hoping for some brookies and browns but got nothing, too high to fish now water is really cold and moving fast frown.gif

Quote:

insert fan fair here....Finally!!! the big lake finally gave up her first fish to me. This is my third year trying and today I landed a beauty Stealhead. Not only my first Lake Superior fish but my first stealhead to boot. I only had my camera phone for picture sake and not sure how to get that from phone to here so no pic. Really wasn't that busy out there today, picked up a bit towards eve, but for the most part it was pretty quiet. Saw a few people leave with nice stringers this morning the rest of the day was pretty slow. I will definitely be back. Oh, the stealy came on a black looper bug/waxies. Next step catch something to bring home.

where was this? I was at the knife, french, and lester and didnt even see a fish caught.

I saw at least 4 loopers caught Sunday morning, in addition to a steelhead, at the French.

Ironman: Was yours the fish caught where the gentleman helping you shouted "Illegal fish! Illegal fish!"? If that guy wasn't a friend of yours, I'd say that was kind of rude.

Anyway, seems like most fish were caught on the south side of the outflow from the French using waxies on what looked like a white floating jig off the bottom. I left by noon, and there were definately a few decent stringers that left before I did.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Quote:

McQuade road access.

DNR site says it'll be open Fall of 2007. I'll call around today and see what I can find.

Orlip, I drove by today and talked with a couple guys from Northland. As already stated the lot needs another layer. I asked when they think that might be and was told it was on the top of the list. The barricade is still there and theres a snow drift under the overpass blocking the ramps so no one has used that access yet.

Umma Gumma,

I was standing in the outflow sunday morning and had to watch all the fish get caught just to my right. I dont get up enough to be dialed in. I just keep trying and hope I catch one someday.

Which one were you. Wasnt much conversation amongst us.

Terry

I was at the lester today and got a water temp of 41 , also got my first looper of the year today grin.gif a nice buck he was pretty dark though don't think theres alot of fresh fish yet, maybe after we get this rain there talking about tonight. Heard the Knife is a big hit any body know if this is true?

Got 38 degrees at the sucker on sunday. River is really running good and is pretty murky after the warm weather and rain last night. Spent the last four mornings at the French, and don't have anything to show yet. Could only spend a few hours each day, but it was beautiful the last three. Today was the only day that I didn't witness a single fish caught in the morning. Usually see a few come from the guys standing in the mouth. Had my son down there this morning, and he got to meet Sam Cook. Watch for pics in the News Tribune. Talked to my buddy who stopped by the hatchery, and he said that they pulled 65 fish out yesterday.

We fished hard all weekend on the shore. We were able to muster 5 steelhead for our group and lost 2 others. The water was as cold as 31 degrees in the morning and then reaching as high as 40 in the afternoon. But its the cold nights that is keeping the temps consistantly low. Hopefully next wkd is better. Here is a pic of the buck I caught Saturday morning. 25 incher.

Picture812.jpg

Well the lake was pretty flat the last two mornings ,,not too good for bobber fishing ,,,did see 3 fish landed yesterday and only one today ,,,since it doesnt look good for rain ,,at least the sunshine may warm up the streams some to help get things going

Randoid

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

McQuade road access.

Orlip, I drove by today and talked with a couple guys from Northland. As already stated the lot needs another layer. I asked when they think that might be and was told it was on the top of the list. The barricade is still there and theres a snow drift under the overpass blocking the ramps so no one has used that access yet.

Thanks for checking this out.

I'm going to be in town next Friday for a conference, and I was wondering when, where might be a good time to observe some looper fishing and chat with people. I don't think I'll bring my stuff just because if I do have time it'll only be a couple of hours, but I'd love to watch someone battle with one of these.

Head up to the French river. Normally this time of year, and especially since there is not really a significant run yet, there will be guys lined up there starting very early in the morning. I have caught a few of them there and know there are usually a couple caught each day. That would be your best bet for knowledge and the chance to see one. Enjoy it and have fun.

Since I'm coming up Monday-Tuesday and there has been little activity on the board, I'm going to assume that people are so busy hauling in loopers and steelhead that there is no time for a computer report. Ahhh yes good times, I'm sure that is exactly it. Regardless of the reality, trying should be a good time. It would be nice to know how folks are doing this weekend with the warmer weather/ a little rain, etc.

Karl laugh.gif

I was at the Lester today for about 2.5 hours, and didn't see anyone hook into anything. But, the Lester isn't known for being the most productive river up here by any means; people may have had decent luck elsewhere. But, overall it's been pretty slow around here lately.

KJC,

I can only give you a report for last Wednesday and Friday. I was not at the French today. The fishing for Loopers has been poor to say the least. I have only seen or heard of a few Loopers being caught at the French each day. I haven't seen or heard of a Coho being caught in the last three weeks.

I have heard of better numbers of Steelhead being seen further up the shore but I don't have any good info for you on that matter.

Hopefully things will start to pick up during the next couple of weeks. If not one can always start to shift towards pan fish once the local lakes start to open up.

Good luck on your trip up.

How do the rivers look after the rain we just got? They had to have come up some...didn't they?