• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looper /north shore report

Im heading up to Two harbors to the cabin this weekend, i was thinking about trying a little looper fishing up there. Have never fished for them, but i have the equipment. Any suggestions on rigging up a rod would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• andrew chadwick

• vermilionwally

• youngie22

Where are you fishing in Two Harbors? I've fished the breakwater a few times, only caught one fish on each of two different days... I was using a looper bug under a ross bobber, tipped with a waxy. My buddies that helped me get set up recommended 6 lb Maxima monofilament for the line, and that's seemed to work really well for me. Set your bobber down about 5 ft if you are fishing the breakwater. Then just throw your bobber out as far as you can, and very slowly real in. If they're out there and willing to bite, you'll find them that way.

If you want some great info before you go out your fisrt time... Check out the thread below this oned titles "how to guide for loopers" Stfcatfish wrote a very good beginners guide that you should read very closly and you should have a good time if the winds and weather is nice to you.

walleyepro:

If you'll be fishing from the wall, you should also do a search for a how-to I wrote on fishing the Two Harbors Breakwall.

If you're targeting loopers, the wall is not the best location right now, as loopers are staging at river mouths, and will be for awhile. Hitting the mouth of the Stewart would be one looper option, but looper numbers probably will be fairly low there, as most stage around rivers between T.H. and Duluth.

Any one who has been brave enough to get their boots wet... Have you gotten any stream temps? Still hovering at 35/ 36... This stupid weather is no good for anything. Unless you plow snow on a per time basis, and you got dumped on. All we have is this cold weather and wind. Nothing is fun in that. Thanx for the info.

What is that going to do for the run? We have stream temps dropping a little down here do, probably a bit more up there??

I was down at the lester yesterday and got a temp of 35 with ice at the first corner under the bridge. I did see a couple fish up by the rock wall but they were most likely fish from last fall they looked really dark. lets all prey for some warm rain grin.gif I'm sick of this dang snow and ice crap mad.gif How about you guys ?

North shore from Grand Marais to Grand Portage, the rivers are locked up solid iced over. A couple of streams have a thin open stream, but the water is LOW! Not looking good up here.

Fishtalker,

Thanks for the report, a few tribs are open down here but have been freezing overnight. Some reports of fish in the rivers, but still pretty sparce.

BTW, welcome to FM!!!

There was fish in the French last Saturday. Seen 3 get caught in 3 hours. Pretty slow.

Kyle

Was wonderin about putting a 22 ft boat in the big lake this coming weekend. Where would be a good place to launch and is the new landing open. Debating on fishing the shore or trying Port Wing area in Wis.

Your best bet will either be Bark Bay over by Port Wing or you may possibly be able to pull off Rice's point under the high bridge in Duluth. I am maybe shooting for my first run this year on Friday out of Rice's. I will let you know after this storm.

Cheffrey,

Dont know if you noticed but the ice pack has moved in front of the duluth entry, blocking the way into the lake. At least it was still there as of 6am today. Ice runs from the cornerby the Memorial at an angle all the way to the WI shore. We'll see what the winds do to it in the next couple days. Was hoping to maybe put the boat in the water at Rices even just for a short shakedown cruise on sunday.

Xplorer

PS: Nice paint job on the boat, really sharp looking!

I saw a boat on the lake when i was off the Stewart yesterday. Kind of surreal looking as i'm surrounded by skim ice. No fish for me. Also took a walk upriver, it's low with a little color, but still too icy to fish. The second hole up is completely iced over.

I might be out in the boat off the north shore fri. also. Have to see what the ice and weather does. Might try the new launch at the Mcquade or carry the small boat in somewhere.

Quote:

I might be out in the boat off the north shore fri. also. Have to see what the ice and weather does. Might try the new launch at the Mcquade or cary the small boat in somewhere.

Is Mcquade open?

I was told it was ice free and the docks were in. Guess I'll find out.

outdoor ran,

From what I can see the McQuade road access is not open. The lot you would enter to get to the docks has been roped off all winter. The lot still needs it's second lift of black top. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I may be wrong but it doesn't look like it's ready to go to me.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

McQuade road access.

DNR site says it'll be open Fall of 2007. I'll call around today and see what I can find.

Thanks for the info. Looks like sun. or mon. for us to hit the water. I will check for up dates. Good Luck and thanks again.

Quote:

The lot still needs it's second lift of black top.

The norm for state funded jobs is to let the asphalt go through a complete freeze thaw cycle before final lift of asphalt is put on. This way if a soft spot or other problem shows up it can be repaired without affecting the looks of the finished product.

I would think they would want traffic on there to determine if there is soft areas but who knows.

How we doin up there. More sno down here for trout opener. Any current water temps? I would imagine they haven't budged much. But, 39.8 degrees would be "cool". Looks like a nice weekend compared to what we have been dealing with lately. Can't wait to get back up to the shore grin.gif

So BD110, if yer up that way you must be fishing? Any reports or are you slamming them and keeping it "hush hush"? grin.gif Let me know!

Brian

Are the loopers starting to turn on yet?

bmc,

You are correct in the fact that I have been up the shore. As far as fishing goes it has been hit and miss. If you don't find skim ice to fight with it's just a fact that the wind will be blowing to hard.

It's not all bad there has been a couple fish-able days here and there. If I have to rate the numbers of fish at this point I'll say poor to very slow.

But you know me that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a try or a little extra effort.

The bite could be alot better even though I caught two of them today. One was a keeper 25" the other one to small 15". Rivers need some rain, that will bring more fish into the system. There were a few other fisherman catching fish but overall the river is slow. [image]1001069lc8.jpg[/image]