• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looper /north shore report

DNR said just over 33 deg at the French. Guy said he doesn't expect any straglers in hatchery until atleast middle of next week. Was fishable yesterday but not at all today. It won't be long and it will be primetime. As long as winds allow I think most of the shore line you can at leasttry and get a line wet. South of the Lester it is hour by hour.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• andrew chadwick

• vermilionwally

• youngie22

i got out on the north shore today, rivers are still cold but a few are fishable. Got one small steelie and lost another on chartruse yarn. Feels good to hook up for the first time this spring.

I am thinking about taking a trip up to Duluth for the day to try for some steelhead. Does anyone think it would be worth it or just wait? i already have a trip planned for the weekend of the 20th for up in Grand Marais.

Big winds and drizzle today but you may be able to fish the streams. Might be tough to feel whats going on though.

it's tough right now, but there are a few fish around. I live in duluth and am choosing to not go fishing today.

The North Shore is ugly today, winds are straight out of the East with 4-5 foot surf. Only people I saw on my ride up were the surfers. Good luck if anyone ventures out.

how long do ou think befor the lake settles down?ie less muddy? Is it even worth fishing if it is muddy?

It's always worth fishing, right now a spot such as bluebird landing or stoney point would be a good bet, but the clarity around the rivers change from day to day.

Has anyone been hitting the rivers yet? I am considering playing hooky on Monday but don't want to waste a day off and a 2 hour trip each way if they aren't in yet.

Hit the rivers today, didn't even see any fish caught/hooked...i'm thinking the rivers are a little too churned up with this rain...good luck!

Ive been driving all the way up too two harbors to try and find clean water, its hard to comeby.

I doubt its warming up to much...barely above freezing, cold rain. Winter storm watch for tuesday. This weather has got to go. It's april lets get some spring weather goin here. mad.gif

Outlook not so good. All we can do is try...or get ready for next week or whenever the water temps get a few degrees warmer.

The fish are in the river's cool.gif. I am out the door for another fight with them see ya there smile.gif.

I wish the winds would die down, can't drive from S. MN and get blown away by an east wind. I knew I should have been there yesterday. Any temp readings? French river hatchery says 36 degree water temps, w/ big chunks of ice still holding up river. Fish are getting caught out front of the french, and he said he counted 18 people fishing yesterday afternoon. I wish I would have caught one mad.gif

fishing is still slow, bumped a few yesterday, but I'll wait for the blizzard to die down before I get out again. i have a feeling that this will be a year where the run goes from slow to fantastic over night and then ends as soon as it started.

got my first looper out of a river this spring in the snow this afternoon, x legs under a indicator was the ticket, hooked one other loop but popped off. Nasty weather today but having the river to myself was worth it. grin.gif

With this snow and cold snap it will shut looper's down for a wile confused.gif.

Anyone go out today? I was thinking of trying it out on sat.

Josh

I was out there this afternoon at the French spectating with the girlfriend and saw one guy catch a nice one after only watching for 5 minutes. Even had the rods in the car, but the gf didn't want to brave the cold. Might get out there tomorrow morning.

Me and my buddy drove 3 hours last night in the storm to Duluth fished all day even at the french and my buddy only caught 1 looper about 16in. Five other guys there and they were hooking up every ten min for about an hour. i was using a looper bug with a bobber and had no luck. what do you guys tip the looper bugs with when you use them if anything?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Tip your bugs with a waxie or small piece of crawler.

No Bugs just a bare hook with waxes or yarn shocked.gif Works for me :grin.:

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is a looper? Is it a Kamloop? Is that another name for rainbow trout or is it another name for Steelhead(which I assume is a migratory rainbow)? Thanks!