• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We were able to get a couple gallons last night, which was all we wanted. Probably averaged about 25 smelt per pull. Moby, it was good to meet you and glad we could get a few for you. It's fun to catch them and know somebody else will clean them wink.gif.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• Surface Tension

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The 2007 run is winding down so if you haven't gotten your smelt yet you better do it tonight. It was pretty slow early but the last pulls around midnight produced somewheres around 50 smelt per pull. Nice to see you guys and again and good to meet a couple more FM'ers.

How about that weather, smelting in shirts.

pretty slow night we came up with one. next year we'll use the sock seine was catching way more them our seine. when we were walking out the boys with badges were on their way down to the beach.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its good to see the CO's, even better to see compliance to the Fish&Game laws. After working the entire beach only one citation for a illegal seine length. The price of the ticket would have boughten a new Christensen sock net.

I have been reading these posts for some time now. Even used it to determine when to go up to the Lester. Was there last Thursday night. Dipped 63 smelt. Other did some better. I have been reading about this Christensen sock net,

Where do you get one and how much? Is there a link to a website to get a look at one?

Great site, Northlander's reports very helpful, DNR website bascially tells you when it is over, not very current data.

Also been to the point years back but not sure where the tot lot is, I assume it is a playground area?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Sure miss the old days of 20-30 years ago when we really had a blast, use to watch people fill a 30 gal garbage can on the beach and then rip the handles off trying to get up to car. Even seen several truck lined with plastic in the box filled to the top.

A big thanks to Northlander and others who posted. My two buddies Roy and Paul who fished with me at the B-Side Bash went up last Saturday night and came back with all the smelt they wanted. Living down in the cities they would have never known when to go and more than likely would have missed the run. Paul fryed up some last night and they sure were tasty. smile.gif Thanks!

Christiansen Nets is in the Duluth phone book.

We have sold many nets for them this year and next year it will be time for them to come on as a full sponsor of this forum. Then we can post contact info for everyone.

As ST stated the run is almost over. Maybe tonight and that should be about it.

Nice to see some fellow Fmers last night.

Ill be down checking it out tonight after work just because its so nice out.

Til next season boys, be safe and have a great fishing opener.

Thanks for the info on the net. I did get in contact with Christensen, I assume when I told them I was interested in the nets used for smelt off park point they know exactly what I was talking about. Gave me a quote, maybe I will need one for next year.

Time to break out the rod and reel.

Have you ever heard much about the smelt on Grindstone lake by Hickley? We stopped there one night on the way back from Duluth and there were people dipping. Not many smelt but they thought it was early at that time. One group used a sein and got about 150 on one pass. I thought it was real nice to not have to fight the waves and it was much warmer inland. They usually run before the North Shore runs as the water warms up sooner. The guy in the bait shop told us they also catch them though the ice with small hooks, can't remember the bait. They said there was some really big ones during the ice fishing period. Not sure if I can believe that, but if true should be a fast bite.

Thanks again for all the information on the thread, great site.

Hmm, thought I already posted this, but anyways,

Thanks to all who helped me out last night, northlander, et al. I had a great time and that cookie realy hit the spot.

I had a blast last night and got some smelt for my friends and I even though the run was not too crazy. Big thanks to Northlander, BD, ST, lota, and Chadwick for showing me the ways of the smelt (I think I still have some scales stuck in my teeth from my first successful pull grin.gif)

thanks again guys!!!

Went out on the point by the airport and got about a gallon in and hour & half. Enough for us. Also got a trout and 3 suckers - all with our little frabill net! (yah, we threw them back smile.gif ) A great night to be out - couldn't ask for nicer weather. Now I don't feel bad about skipping out during the windy wknd.

Waders, seign and dip net are away in the rafters and the Lund is ready to rock. Bring on the Walleye Opener.

I here ya steve it was good to get some for Bait. But it is time to fight some fish in the river laugh.gif.

I trolled out in front of park point yesterday and didnt see any clouds of smelt on the sonar ,,,I think its over for the year ,,time to chase some bigger fish

Good Luck on Opener

Randoid

Stick a fork in it cuzz its done. Now bring on the Walleye opener. grin.gifgrin.gif

well, I'd have to say all indicators point towards it being over with for the season.

what will we do until opener?

HA! I know, lets head to RED!! cool.gif

One question I wonder if someone knows the answer to. Can you use a cast net for smelt?

Thanks

Good question there my man.I dont know if it would be very effective unless you had them all piled up against a breakwall or something.

Well the way I look at it, when your running the sein you must have the smelt piled up somewhere close or you wouldn't catch them in the sein. Therefore I figure it might be a whole lot less work throwing out a cast net, even from shore you should be able to throw 25 foot, the length of the sein. One guy could work a cast net pretty well and not even get his feet wet. I got to thinking about that when you guys were talking about the big waves and how dangerous it could be. I think I will see what the DNR has to say about that.

I believe use of cast nets in inland waters is illegal ,,,not sure about any of the great lakes tho,,,I use a cast net to get minnows out of my pond but think smelting with it may be tooooo much work

Randoid

Cast nets would make smelting too EASY! Therefore, it has to be illegal. Dont you think? I dont know if it is truely illegal or not, but I think it has to be.

I guess it is illegal but I sent the DNR an email anyway to get the offical word. I looked through several locations on their website but couldn't come up with much except the size of seine nets.

Got the real information from the DNR and as some have already mentioned, Cast nets are not allowed for any fishing in Minnesota. Darn!!!

• 2 weeks later...

UMDSportsman, I was just putting my winter and spring fishing gear away when I remembered you still had my dipnet. Could you please email me so we can meet up and I can get that back? shiner2367atyahoodotcom.

Thanks!

Shiner2367- you have mail, sorry about the long wait. didn't know your email address, and you didn't reply on the thread i started with your name in the header.