• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice conditions out there

How are the ice conditions out there? I think i am going out Sunday evening for some crappies and sunnies are the lakes still good enough for 4wheeler travel or should a person be walking out there right now.

Fat ;ady is warming up.... Put both 4 wheelers through the ice today..... walking will be fine for another day or two but ice is pulling away from shore fast....... Good Luck to ya.....

Wear a life jacket

or better yet dont go on this crappy ice

is drowning worth a few panfish?

I know I am finished!@

I walked out on East Twin (Anoka Cty) yesterday AM - slush near the landing, good traction on the crust and still 16or more inches of solid ice. Shoreline was getting soft as I got of around 11:30. I'm sure last night's rain did nothing to improve the conditions.

Wear a set of picks, rubber boots and a life jacket, carry a spudbar, make sure a rope (and sunscreen) is part of your eqpt. Just be safe!

zzap, I believe I seen you leaving twin lake yesterday just as I was arriving at 11:30. Do you drive a Ford Pickup?

Did you have any luck?

Somebody drilled six holes in a line that I fished at for awhile with no bites. I met up with some buddies at Baxter (near blue lake), they had 25 sunfish. Biting slowed after I arrived at 1:00. Ice condition was o.k.

Back out at Baxter today. Ice conditions very slippery as one would expect after the rain. Very few people out. When I left at 11:30 there was nobody.

Went to Elk Lake after that to survey the ice and see if anybody was fishing. Ice was as expected and nobody fishing.

Ice spikes/cleets a necessity.

Was on clearwater the ice is very slippery and the acceces are going quick

Those were my holes lined up - I had no better luck than you. I even went out to the 50' hole with the same results. Around 10:30 I chatted with another fisherman who was pulling SMALL sunnies out of 12' of water.

I drive a white van, so it wasn't me you saw pulling out.

Any luck on Little Elk?

I didn't drop a line on Elk. It was too slippery (didn't have my ice cleets)and the wife and kids were getting impatient (and were afraid of falling in),I didn't see anyone else out there. We called it a day and went home. Caught 2 sunny's on Baxter earlier(also extreemly slippery) but the fish seemed to be pretty fussy and far between.

The boats gassed up and the day Buffalo blows open I'll be on it. ( If its not raining, Crazy not dumb) Go looking for crappies out in the middle of the lake. About 2 week later they should be in shore.