• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gsp peeing in crate

eggdish

i picked up a new gsp pup 12 days ago, she is 8 weeks and 2 days old. the problem i have been having since friday night is she pees in her crate. she was fine sunday thru friday, but saturday morning it was wet. i blocked off the back half of the crate with an adjustable wall that i can move back as she grows, but this didn't seem to help. the area in there now is only twice as big as she is, just enough to turn around and lay down. i took out the towel we had in there for her to lay on tuesday, thinking that it was soaking it up and not making it seem wet to her, but she still goes pee in the crate. she won't poop in there (not yet anyway). she is let outside every day to go to the bathroom and play every three hours, day and night, whether we are there or not, (i have a good friend that i am going to owe alot of cases of beer to for letting her play during the day wink.gif), plus any other time we are with her and she starts sniffing around. i don't think she is nervouse when she is in there, she hardly makes a peep anymore and sometimes she is sleeping in the middle of the night or the morning when we go to let her out. she has only gone in the house a couple of times when we weren't watchting close enough, she sure is a quick little squirt that can be hard to keep track of. grin.gif i don't mind cleaning it up, but i really don't want her to get used to sitting in it. i'm afraid that if that happens, we will never get her house trained and she will be a very dirty dog. frown.gif she won't be in the crate during the day very much longer, i am building a kennel as soon as the ground thaws for her to be in during the day, but i would like to have the crate problem fixed before it is too late. i know this is getting long but i wanted to include as much info as possible. any advice would be greatly appreciated as i have no other ideas on how to fix this. confused.gif

I pretty much just went through that with two pups. Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Rememeber, she is only 8 weeks old. She'll figure it out in no time. stay the course.

I've had pups with bladder or vaginal infections do this. Watch puppy when outside to see if she countinues to try and pee numerous times after going the first time, with little or no discharge after first time. If that is case take urine sample and have vet test it. Vet may want to see dog too.