• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Private land

Saw557

Seems to me somebody...maybe Jnelson put a link on here last year to a list of private land owners that allow public turkey hunting. I looked on the MN DNR page and couldn't find it this year any ideas.

Thanks

Scott

How does this work?? I was looking over the list and saw someone listed that won't allow anyone to hunt anything!!!!!!!

The way I understand it after rereading the rules, The landowners get up to %20 of permits per area. You must still ask permission. The landowners can say no(unsafe or lack of birds). It seems one property can be used for several landowner tags. It might be different in other areas but in mine it is joke. It might be better to do some door knocking and get permission elsewhere.

Yeah, the way it reads (landowners may limit number of hunters) sounds like it could be easily taken advantage of. I guess I can't blame a guy for not wanting others educating the birds on his land. Not sure if that's how it works, but that's what I get out of it. I do, however, like the idea of turning private lands somewhat public in exchange for a couple tags.

In my opinion,this landowner thing is a joke.All the land owner has to say is that someone else is hunting on his land and say no to you,even if he has no one hunting.Also, I know land owners who get landowner tags,yet they have no turkeys on their land and go hunt somewhere else.The landowner thing is just a way they can get tags every year!

You bet, the landowner permit issue comes up every year, and I guess it depends on which side of the fence you're on, or how you're looking at it. And paintbrush, by no means am I picking on you!!!

Let me first say that I could, but don't, apply for the landowner permits based on our experience, and the experience of others that apply as such. This is for a number of reasons, primarily:

-Past hunter quarrels

-"Blanket" permission - folks think that your land is now "public" and show up to hunt morels, squirrels, deer, coon, etc., etc., etc.

-Trespassing onto neighbor's land from yours - then playing dumb

-Blocking field rd. access during planting season!

-People not asking permission, and just showing up, assuming the land is once again, public

-Rutting up fields to drive closer to where they want to hunt

The hope is that these nightmares are exceptions to the rules, rather than the rule, but our experience has shown that it happens at least once per season, often more. It takes only a bad apple or two to spoil the bunch for everyone. How many times would you allow someone into your yard to whip doughnuts or get you into trouble with the neihbors?

What people fail to understand that as a landowner, letting someone hunt on your land opens you up to multiple infringements upon your privacy, resources, and ultimately livelihood for many of those folks that make a living from their land (farmers). I'm not anti-permission or against letting anyone hunt either! I'm simply stating the flip-side to publishing your name on a list for the general public to go after.

I offer this as another side of the coin, should folks mistakenly think that the landowner turkey, deer, or other game permitting system is a one-sided gig solely benefitting landowners who by en-large never let people hunt anyway. It just isn't the case, as I hunt farms every year that are on this list, and know others that do as well.

If you're late in the game, and others have beaten you to the punch (remember, folks that live around there and hunt too, they often ask much earlier), don't play the blame game in the name of laziness.

I think the system is flawed too, the other direction smile.gif. You can get a tag yearly by doing your homework and putting in research, and the benefit of getting a tag via the landowner permit system is, for me, not even close to worth the headache and hassle.

Joel

I’m in total agreement with you paintbrush. The landowner license as it is stated, is a big joke. The idea is right, but in which the way it works needs major revision. I personally know of several people who have applied under landowner permits. Only to find the land they have applied under is a plowed field in the middle of hundreds of other plowed fields. Yes, the person does own a great wood lot (with lots of turkeys on it) about 15 miles away, but when asked to hunt it. The owner replied “you can hunt the land that is registered in the book, but not the wood lot, I don’t let anyone hunt in there.” As far as the land the person has registered there is no way there are turkeys in the area or on his land. But he is legally able to register this land under current regulations and apply as a landowner permit. Now, this is where I feel there needs change.

On another note, I think the state of Minnesota should look into the way Kansas does there spring landowner leasing. I honestly do not know a lot about it, but the way its wording in the Kansas turkey hand book, it allows a hunter to access private land, leased by the state. It is very similar to the Walk-in Area program of South Dakota. Just some food for thought!

These landowners have everyright to get a permit for killing a turkey. They own the land that feeds and shelters them, they pay the taxes on it and have to watch as the birds go right down the rows and pluck out the freshly planted seeds in the spring.

That should be the reason that they get preference and are able to purchase land owner tags. Not simply to allow someone else to hunt on it. If they do, good for them, if not, find somewhere else. Just my ops. BTW, I am not a land owner, but I know people that are and all are almost always full of Turkey hunters all season long.

If you get a landowner tag you should have to only harvest an animal on the land you got the tag on. Not down the street or accross the county.

Also, they should have to report how many hunters they allowed on their property during the season.

An open tag for a little work.

If you get a landowner tag, you should have to take the bird on your land. Not necessarily the land that you designate as open to hunting. I'm sure that their are a few landowners out there that abuse this, but for the most part, I have run across very few that due. The number of hunters that a landowner allows on their land is their business. If we start to regulate that landowners serve a quota of hunters, they will quit buying them and then you won't have any idea of what lands may or may not be able to be hunted.

If a guy gets a landowner permit every year, and doesn't let anyone else hunt on it thats his priority. I believe that as long as he is paying taxes and buying his license, and taging it legally (in season), he is entitled to the game on his property. I guess what I'm saying is that if they pay the taxes on the shelter, or they put in the crops, they should get a perk for it. Right or wrong, thats just how I feel. More than once I've seen full rows of oats taken out by turkeys.

The purpose of the landowner tags are to open up more lands for turkey hunters. Now, I have no problem with them be able to regulate people. I do have a problem with those who apply with their 40 acres of agricultural land in which there is absolutely no way turkeys are going to be on their property. Thus giving any land owner better odds at being drawing for a tag just because they own a plowed field.