• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Regulations for 2007, your thoughts?

I was reading the 2007 MN regs (http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2007.pdf) and found a new law regarding fish transport. the law says you can not transport fish in water to keep them alive unless you are on the lake were they were caught, so for instance if you were on Sallie and had 3 fish in the live well, and you picked up and moved to Mellisa with the fish still in the well, you can be cited. I am not so sure I like this reg. WHat are your thoughts?

I thought that was the case for the last couple years? I could be wrong though. confused.gif

Hello Paul,

I think the reason for the regulation was intented to prevent spread of eurasian milfoil. They want all water out of the boat when you transfer. There is milfoil being seen in ottertail county but it has not been seen in Becker yet but will probably be inevitable someday.

I was readin the book a couple weeks ago and I think it means they DO NOT want fish moved from lake to lake. Someone must have made a big deal out of it last year, ie guys bringin fish to a private pond. If ya have a kid along ya can keep a panfish under 10 inches alive!

Does anyone know how this is handled on lakes that are linked?

Hypo Question- What if I lived on Ottertail and there is a boatable river to Rush. Could I catch fish on Rush and boat (via the river) to Ottertail to my cabin??

Also what about slot fish between slot and non-slot lakes..

Hypo question #2- If ottertail had a min 11inch slot on Crappies, but I had boated up the river to Rush and caught and kept some crappies 9.5inchers. Boating (via a river) back accross Ottertail to the cabin,- Would I be legal??

Thanks for the help guys-

I can answer the slot question from personal experience. I grew up fishing the Minnesota River below the Lac Qui Parle water flow stopage system (similar to the word darn, which holds back Lac Qui Parle Lake. LQP was one of the first slots ever on Walleyes. 15" minimum. One of the hotspots for fishing the system was fishing from the top of the dam near the locks. Due to huge fishing pressure on the dam when you caught fish it was common practice to place your sringer(s) on a 100FT rope and tie them on the back side of the dam. When the 15" slot was introduced, it didn't affect the other side of the dam), UNTILL you stringered your fish on the Lake Side. I saw many a ticket written for 14" fish tied to the wrong side of the road.

ISU,

Keeping your livewell full would be legal, the law is intended for trailered boats. As stated above, it's intended to try to control the stocking of ponds and to reduce the risk of eurasion milfoil, spiny water flea and all the other wonderful toxins.

As for the slot question that would probably be un-enforcable on a chain of lakes. IMO

Quote:

ISU,

Keeping your livewell full would be legal, the law is intended for trailered boats. As stated above, it's intended to try to control the stocking of ponds and to reduce the risk of eurasion milfoil, spiny water flea and all the other wonderful toxins.

As for the slot question that would probably be un-enforcable on a chain of lakes. IMO

Kingr,

Are you "The Kinger"??

Red

Hiya -

Actually, and this is just me, but I wish they'd be more aggressive in enforcing this than they are now. There's a lot of good reasons for it. One of the biggest, and part of why I think they're getting out front on this, is VHS. VHS is a fish-killing virus that has been moving west from New York for the last 4 years or so. VHS has been responsible for major fish kills on the St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, and Lake St. Clair in the last couple years.

Basically, VHS is like Ebola for fish. They die from massive hemorage lesions all over their bodies. For a fishery, it's a nightmare. It's also highly contagious, and does NOT have to be spread by contact like more common fish pathogens like lymphosarcoma.

The VHS risk has meant some incredibly restrictive transport bans on fish in either affected or at-risk states. MN is on the at-risk list. Right now, VHS is in St. Mary's Lake, which is 40 miles from Lake Superior. So it getting here isn't a matter of if, but when. With VHS a possibility, transporting fish in water from watershed to watershed or lake to lake is bad news.

If you're going to lake hop, bring a cooler full of ice. Bleed your fish and ice 'em. They'll taste better besides.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

What are the growths on the walleyes on Upper Red Lake? I think I have heard they are harmless, but from my experience this winter about 40% of the wallleyes have them and they look not only painful but very unappetizing.

Quote:

Better believe it dog! So you are still alive?!!

Yah. Heading to DL this weekend. you?

Hi Lavoi -

It's commonly called 'cold water virus' if I remember right. It's a viral lesion that occurs during the winter. From what I understand, it's pretty harmless. Icky looking, but harmless.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote:

It's commonly called 'cold water virus' if I remember right. It's a viral lesion that occurs during the winter. From what I understand, it's pretty harmless. Icky looking, but harmless.

right on.

blackdog i think you are right ., i was coming off the lake one day and they were there explaining this to people., tyhey did ask me if my livewell was full or empty,. well i was full but i do it on shore., they dont want that either.,i didnt know that! ., he did say that this year they are going to force it pretty tough., so make sure you empty your livewell on the way back to the launch area., and make sure you are free of any type of weeds! good luck fishing this year everybody and be safe!!

• 2 weeks later...

Really doesn't sound like such a Big Deal! I think we can all live with that reg! Good thing the DNR hasn't made you leave your boat on the lake, just leave the water!