• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Shed Freak,

Thought you might get a kick out of these. What a great weekend in the woods!

Drew

P.S. I know who found the monster's sheds from Exhibition Drive in 06. What a set!

sheds07023.jpg

sheds07022.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedfreak

• Monks

• Surface Tension

• SKIPPERS KID

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

FishingRealtor, thats just sick. In a sweet way.

Hey Fishing realtor, who found the set of the exhibition buck in 06?! I have been looking for him for the past 3 years, all I have to show is pic of him this last fall in Velvet, carrying 16 points. I was about 15 yards away from him. I want to see the sheds, i have always wanted to know how BIG he actually is? Did you find all thos sheds in one weekend? And how many acres do you have, or do you go on public as well? Nice pictures, I am more jealous than you know. If you could get back to me on here, or my email ( [email protected]) I would really love to see a pic or find out who found the sheds off the exhibition monster? Id appreciate it so much!!!!

Thanks.

SHEDFREAK32

Wow! Drew that must be the last 20 years of bow season hey? LOL. What nice racks you have. wink.gif

I agree Crankin that hat has to go. grin.gif

hey fishing realtor,

did you see the pics i had of the exhibition buck, or no?? I have seen him 5 times or so in the exact location, I am always in my car though when i see him. In fact he almost became a casualty on 3 occasions. I dont know of anyone having this years set of sheds, so I am not sure if he survived. However, I dont believe anyone got him in the city hunt, that doesnot mean someone did not take him illegally though. Lets hope thats not the case, It doesnt have to be me who gets him, but i would like to see him taken legally and see how well he scores.

SHEDFREAK32

PS. In the last picture you can see my head in the bottom left corner, thats how close i actually was to him, he just stood there and let me take pictures, its a wonder how he has survived. I have watched him on numerous occasions from 25 yards or less for up to 15 minutes sometimes!!

deer5.jpg

deer4.jpg

deer-1.jpg

deer3.jpg

Fellas,

Here is a pic without the hat, we found these in the last couple of years. Sheds are so hard to find! I use it for excercise so the boat goes faster...I'll need the weight reduction during the Grand Slam!

Shed Freak,

I saw those pictures of the Ex. Drive buck... I'm fairly certain that's the same buck my friend has the sheds from.

Drew

sheds07-2039.jpg

Nice work Drew! Any helpful hints on finding those things? Sometimes I think one could hit me on the head and I wouldn't see it! I went elk hunting this fall and missed a elk shed 20 yards away...my buddy shows up, and sees it right away! I've been out many times, and have only one to show for my efforts. confused.gif

Kyle

Kyle,

I guess the best advice I have for finding them is taking one with me. I throw it out in front of me with out looking. Next,I scan the ground looking for it. It's amazing how hard they are to find, even when you know where they are.I think this technique helps train my eyes to pick up the curve or a tine. Even by doing that, I still don't think I'm good at finding them I just spend tons of time looking.

Drew

Kyle, I have to agree with drew on the taking one with ya , it does help, also going very slow and looking over everything even in spots that you wouldn't even think a deer would go thats what works best for me I'm at 15 this year so far . good hunting!!

Kyle

p.s. nice name

I have never taken one with me just due to the fact that i dont carry a bag. A buddy of mine found one with me one time, and without realizing it he dropped it along the way and didnt realize it. I just dont wanna lose one I guess, but it does however seem like a really good idea to carry one along. When I have found them I have thrown them behind my back and tried finding them again though, and i agree its amazing how they seem to hide themselves. My strategy has always been going out late bow season in december when there is snow on the ground and seeing where the deer are traveling during the winter. I have found they seem to winter up in certain areas and seem to stay fairly close all winter, and almost always using the same areas to bed. WInter bedding areas are good places to search so if you can find out where they are bedding in early winter thats usually a good place to look come shed hunting season. Also I have found a lot of them just off the edges of fields or atv/snowmobile trails. They tend to be 10-20 yards off of them, but I have also found them within a few yards. The deer also dont like to walk through 2 feet of snow if they can help it. Find places where snow seems to be scarce, like certain sides of hill sides. One side always has more snow than the other side. That has also been a good place for me in the past. A high school friend and now shed hunting buddy wrote a book on strictly shed hunting. He just moved to the Duluth area so the book is easy to get. I actually picked it up right at his house. HIs name is Joe, and he will be glad to assist you. I actually learned a lot from the book. I have always looked for sheds but would only find about 4 a year and never more. I read the book in February this year, and since then I have found 14. Coincidence maybe, but I did use strategies I learned in the book.

SHEDFREAK32

hey kyle( monks)

I kind of know who you are, I know your brother Kevin. I met him when he was dating Kaylee. I am married to Nicole Kane. How has your brother done this year? I talked sheds with him back In february a little bit. Dont ask me how i recognized you in the picture. I just remembered like last summer or the one before I was at A and Dubs with nik and Landon and you were parked next to us and she said you were kevin's brother. And i saw the pic on here, and i thought it was you but wasnt sure so I asked Nik, and she said it was. So yah anyways, thats my story, nice find on the matched set. And I have to get more than 15 now, cant let a younger guy beat me! I probably wont, seeing as how late its getting but....Do you usually find about the same amount every year, or is this year better than most, or worse? Kinda curious, its my first year up here looking so im not sure what to expect, back home, we didnt have as dense of a deer population, so i was only finding like 4 or 5 a year. Howd you do in the city hunt? As good as your brother?

Aaron

SHDFREAK32

Hey shedfreak,

Wow what a small world, hows Nichole, I haven't seen her since she worked at bk down off 27th, but anyhow I did ok in the hunt shot a 8 pionter that was decent not exactly what I was hoping for but he's nice. Kev has been out shed-hunting a few times but hasn't found one , Me on the other hand had a hot streak there in march that set is my best find so far got some really nice sides to, there all on the table in that pic with drew, and no its not always like that for me last year I only found 4 and put in way more time then this year so I guess its just luck right spots right time sort of thing . but good luck and keep me posted . tell nichole I say hi

over the years Ive found one moose shed, one complete caribou shed, along with several broken/ half eaten ones( NWT) part of an elk shed.

was wondering why i havent found any yet? now i know why, just wednesday afternoon i watched about 10 deer mill around the back woods which included a 6 or 8 pointer with both sides attatched, kinda late?

Yeah thats REAL late, I have heard stories of deer sometimes not dropping their antlers. I believe its rare but I have heard such stories. Keep at it, once this snow is gone, the sheds will be in view again, cant wait to get out again myself!

SHEDFREAk32

When is someone going to show some pictures of some BIG sheds?????

Hey I have seen some bucks with 1/2 racks as late as april 25, some deer just don't drop theres tell april maybe may who knows . why, beats me confused.gif

Yeah, thats the minimum size I take. wink.gif If you guys would just leave those sheds till they grow up, I could get some good ones! shocked.gifgrin.gif

I found # 15 this afternoon, a 4 point shed, probably a 2.5 yr old. Just need the snow to melt a little more yet, so they are easier to find. I scouted some new spots when we had this last snowfall, where I " believe" not many people to have walked through for sheds. So i found where the deer were traveling and bedding and plan to hit it hard when the snow melts. I went to one of the places today and thats where I found the shed. To me, it was a fairly easy find, not hidden at all. Makes me hope that means i was right about not a lot of people walking through there!! At the end of the year or once i get # 20 I will post a pic of all the sheds I found, that is unless I find a monster, Then I will for sure post that one. FOr the people who havent had the best luck this year, keep at it, some of the nicest shed I have found have been in April. Maybe due to people stopping in March, i dont know. I plan on looking into may, until the woods are thick and green and the mosquitoes are out. Yah, really lookin fwd to that!!

SHEDFREAK32

Shedfreak, you should email me your number I'm always looking for someone to go hiking with, I think we could double our finds if we combine our knowledge. What do you think of that? [email protected]

Quote:

When is someone going to show some pictures of some BIG sheds?????

Mr Wallace... Where are all the pictures of YOUR sheds? I post them as i find them, big or small.

SHEDFREAK32

number 15 on the year

Picture3-2007325.jpg

my sheds

Picture3-2007326.jpg

my " bigger" sheds

Picture3-2007327.jpg

My matched setsPicture3-2007328.jpg

my nontypical shed. Cant even tell if its a left or a right. Lies flat on the ground. Goes straight up like a big V. Weird

Picture3-2007329.jpg

Picture3-2007330.jpg

Picture3-2007331.jpg

Shedfreak32

Shedfreak, thanks for all the post and pics. I enjoy them, no matter what size they are. The weird one is kinda neat.