• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Cloud Dam

JBMasterAngler

The ice fishing is done for the year for me. I'm gonna be in st. cloud this weekend and was wondering where I might be able to wet a line. Would there be anything to catch (crappies or catfish or whatever) below the st. cloud dam or is the water too cold for anything to be active?

I know we used to pick up a few small crappies on the campus side. I don't fish for cat fish but I have caught some in the evening when fishing for walleyes. But I am not sure where you would find them now. Maybe on the east side of the bridge I believe there is kind of a hole on tha side. Good Luck.

Was it around this time of year? Were you just using minnows under a bobber? I'm hoping if there can be 2 days in a row of warm sunny weather the water would be warmer below the dam because of the surface discharge. In theory that would draw some fish close to the dam.

I was down on the university side the other day for an hour or so and didn't get anything. The water seems to be a little too cold yet. The other side of the (Contact Us Please) was frozen over last I checked so I haven't been able to get out over there. A week or two of warm, sunny weather and the fishing should pick up. You never know what you're going to catch in that river either.

I work at the hospital in St.Cloud and there was PLENTY of ice left in the river earlier this week. It has opened up quite a bit, but I'd say that water coming over the dam is still pretty cold. Give it until beginning, middle of April and that water will be a bit warmer for those crappies to start schooling up.

The crappies in good numbers below the dam? Sounds like I might be wasting my time fishing there this weekend, but who knows, I'll probably be back up there in a couple weeks.