• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2" Blazers - The Best Fletching??

LoneRanger

Well, I'm new to archery, so when I got my setup in December, I had to get the newest thing: Quickspins. Through shooting them, I figured out that I don't like them because they are loud, slow, and not that accurate. After I damaged a couple (oh, they're not very durabel either) I put on regular 4" vanes and I like them.

But then, when I was shooting at the range last week, a guy tells me to try 2" Blazers. I took 3 arrows up and had them done and they are awesome! Now I must note that I do have a left helical on them, and I have heard that some guys say you can't put a helical on a Blazer because they are too stiff, but the guys at Mike's did it no problem. These little things are durable, quiet, and accurate. They said I should shoot mechanicals with them, but I don't think that would be a problem after I looked at the new Rage broadheads. Anyways, I am sold.

Is there any reason why everyone is not shooting these things?

You have me a little confused?

First off, best is relitive, To each person. What works best for one person may or may not work best for another. Are blazers a very good fletching.. Sure they are. Best?... I dont know about that?... but then again, I can't say what is best...

Now, back to your statements... Quickspins... I like em' I think they too are a very good vane. Do they slow your arrow down.. Sure.. That is thier job! If they didn't slow your arrow down, it wouldn't stabilize your arrow. Do they slow your arrow down more than any other vane. Maybe out at 40 yards?.. But that is going to depend on how much twist you put on them.

Noise?.. I have shot quickspin, and do not notice that they make any more noise than any other vane or feather. I would say they are quieter than feathers by quite a bit, and maybe only slightly more of a hiss than a regular 4" feather, but that again is because its working harder to stabilize the arrow.

Durability? I shot them for 2 whole seasons and never had one fail. And I would not even want to guess how many shots we are talking about.. A TON!

Right now I am shooting feathers... why... They were PURDY...

Like I said in another post, I am rather new to this sport....but I have tinkered with lots of different fletching....and here is my two cents.

I started out using 4 inch NAP Quick Spins....I liked them but I had some issues. I, too, thought they were not very durable. I was shooting them thru a whisker Biscuit and found that over time, they would wrinkle or get wavy. They also weigh about 12 grains each...sorta heavy...and I had some difficulty with FOC with my arrow set up.

I would also agree that they do slow your arrow down at longer distances, but like Deitz said, that is part of the whole stabilization thing. As far as noise goes, I agree they do have a different noise to them. I stood down range (25 yrds) as a friend shot them...and yes they do push a lot of air and make a distinctive noise. I am not sure if it would really matter or not.

I switched over to 2inch blazers and have been very happy. They seem to work very well for me and my set-up. I am also interested in trying the newest NAP Quick Spins. I believe they are called Quick Spin Speed Hunter ST. They are the same shape and size as the 2inch blazers but will have Quick Spin’s patented “kicker and grooves” design. They also made them out of a different martial that is said to be “super tough” and will last longer. They are also suppose to be the same weight as the Blazers.....I think that is around 5grains........sorta the best of both worlds. There is more info about these vanes on NAP's website.

The bottom line, use what works best for you. I like Blazers a lot....are they the best fletching????...I think that is all relative to the user.

Good luck

Cliffy

Thanks Cliffy! Please let us all know about those new little quickspin vanes if you try them out.

i think the blazers are the way to go also. shot them through a bisquit for one year now, and like them alot more than a regular 4 inch vane. best?? its all personal preference.

I shoot montec G5s with mine. took a while to find what fixed blade wouild shoot the best and the G5 works for me. shouldnt have a problem with and expandable

Very happy with the Blazers I don't seem to have any problems with them I have been using the Bohning tower fletcher built for Blazers and puts 3 on at a time perfect!! The 7 year old seems to have alittle harder time keeping vanes on by bounching them off the cement, gravel and just plain losing arrows!!!! I should buy some stock in arrows!!!

I am shooting the 2" Blazers with a Muzzy MX-4, and I had no problem with arrow flight.

This is was taken right from Bohnings website, and if I am reading it correctly, helical is not required with Blazer's since the "steering" of the arrow is addressed immediately upon release.

Quote:

*More Information The Blazer™ Vane What It Is And Why It Works. Bohning's revolutionary new Blazer™ Broadhead Vane has changed the way archers think about arrow guidance, especially with fixed-blade broadheads. Most of us have been led to believe that more is better when it comes to our vanes and feathers making our broadheads fly like our field points. The Blazer™ Vane proves that theory wrong by out performing 4 or 5 inch vanes or feathers…and the Blazer™ is only two inches long. HOW CAN THAT BE POSSIBLE? Independent testing shows that while some spin is necessary for accurate flight, too much can cause your arrow to lose speed very rapidly. What is required is a guidance system that will take over and steer the arrow regardless of what the broadhead is doing. The Blazer™, with its unique design begins steering and correcting immediately. The combination of the steep leading edge angle, and material stiffness, enables the air to flow over the vane in a manner that actually creates lift and leaves the tip of each vane inside undisturbed air. This is similar to the drafting principle used in auto racing. This airflow created by the precise leading edge angle allows the tip of each vane to act like a rudder, which is very noticeable at longer distances with the flatter trajectory Blazer™ vanes provide. Just give the Blazer™ a try and you will believe! Weighs 5 grains, .6 inches high.

Bohning Website

I have tried the blazers and was not impressed. For my setup I would have to drop the poundage of the bow to be able to use them. I like to bare shaft tune my bow and have found groupings get much tighter if your arrow is leaving the bow straight (obviously). This takes a lot of time to maintain, so with my setup the blazers stick out too far and will contact my trophy taker drop away rest. I use NAP 2.25" quickspins and have noticed them to be quieter than regular 4" vanes that come on goldtip arrows. However, if I was shooting a whisker biscuit you could not pay me to shoot quickspins because they can thrash the kickers. As far as wrinkles go they say to use a hair dryer on them to heat them and the wrinkles go away. Like everyone else said, it's personal preference.