• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog food recall

setterguy

Please take this recall very seriously. The cause of death is renal failure. I lost my setter (age 8) to renal failure this past summer(unrelated to this particular recall). It happens very fast. If you notice your dog drinking excessive water accompanied by loose stools and/or vomiting, see your vet asap. Renal failure is nothing to mess with. By the time most people notice something is wrong it is too late.

HB

I heard it only pertained to wet dog food, in cans. Is this true?

Latest reports are indicating that a rodenticide traced to a shipment of wheat from China used in the manufacture of the pet food is the cause of the problem. Reputedly the product is not labelled for use on wheat in the US but is used as a cancer drug. At least this will give vets trying to help those with sick pets a place to start effective treatment. Check http://abcnews.go.com/ for more details.

Isn't it amazing they have to import wheat from China when we supposedly have the bread bowl of the world right in our laps. This stuff was apparently in the high end pet food. Who can you trust? Kind of shows you get what you pay for

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/menu032407.html

Menu Foods (web link accessed from FDA link)

1-866-895-2708

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- TORONTO, ONTARIO -- March 24, 2007 -- As a result of reports from the FDA and various media outlets that some recalled lots of "cuts and gravy" style wet pet food remain on store shelves, Menu Foods has asked all retail outlets to immediately remove all impacted varieties of wet pet food posted at regardless of the date code.

Menu Foods remains concerned that consumers are able to purchase recalled items.

There is no known risk from items not listed on the recall list but an abundance of caution is called for in this situation. FDA has been apprised of this action.

*** I read that is was a wheat gluten additive that came from China. Also agree ==> why China?

[quote*** I read that is was a wheat gluten additive that came from China. Also agree ==> why China?

Just a semi-educated guess: World wheat supply has been tight especially with the drought in Australia, the price of ingredients reflects that. This spring marks one of the rare times in history where one could contract wheat for over $5 a bushel for the 2nd spring in a row. The Chinese suddenly have a "deal" on wheat/gluten they likely knew was contaminated (they are masters at playing trading games) and figured this would be a good way to get rid of it. If it got into the food chain, no big woop; the chemical is cleared as a cancer drug, would become pretty diluted in the overall scheme of things, probably cause no problem, never be detected. If it poisons some dogs and cats, hey, good luck trying to find the responsible parties in China. The pet owners affected will come after the pet food manufacturers first anyway. Unfortunately that's the way these things work. I hope no one reading these boards has been affected by this. I know I'd be pretty angry to find Gus and/or Lucy poisoned over someone's foolishness and greed. mad.gif

It is rather strange that a few on the list just got some heat last year from hunters and kennel owners. Could it be the Humane Society tanted a load of wheat to get back at P&G for pulling their sponsorship of anti-hunting and anti-breeder legislation? It might just be a cospiracy theory but I have to question what kind of sportsman would still be feeding the stuff in the pink bags after this? Although I never have used any of the brands listed (I tend to stay with companys that make food products not cleaners and diapers)I feel sorry for the people that are effected.

Recalled pet food contains chemicals, FDA says

WASHINGTON — Government testing found a chemical used to make plastics in recalled pet food linked to the deaths of dogs and cats, officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.

Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of cat and dog food earlier this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the Canadian company's products. It is not clear how many pets may have been poisoned by the apparently contaminated food, although anecdotal reports suggest hundreds if not thousands have died. The FDA alone has received more than 8,000 complaints.

The new finding comes a week after scientists at the New York State Food Laboratory identified a rat poison and cancer drug called aminopterin as the likely culprit. They've since detected melamine as well, though it's not clear how that chemical would have poisoned pets.

The recall involved nearly 100 brands of "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food made by Menu Foods. The recall covered products carrying names of major brand-name and private-label products sold throughout North America.

While drinking coffee with my fiance this morning, there was a story on the Today show about Organic dog food and the benefits. After this scare with the pesticides, I think it is going to be a change I am going to make. I'm careful about what I put in my body, I guess it only makes sense to do the same for my best friend.

I'm not going to comment on the Today Show story because I didn't see it. However, based on the reading from non-biased sources and working personally with some organic production, there are no guarantees the ingredients contained in the organic product would be more beneficial or safer than those found in the non-organic product. There are trade-offs on both sides. Some studies have indicated potential increased microbiological hazards from organic produce and animal products, yet others have not reached the same conclusions. Do what you think is right for yourself but I will continue to feed the product I am presently using.

Story Highlights• (Read on CNN's website)

These are a few of the "new" highlights that are ongoing in this ordeal. In the story, apparantly a dry dog food company also took shipment of this gluten, however they won't release the name of the producer.

NEW: FDA working to rule out any use of tainted wheat gluten in human food

• NEW: Agency investigating whether the gluten was used in dry pet food

• FDA says chemical used in plastics found in recalled pet food, sick animals

• Scientists not sure melamine was cause of pets' deaths

• 2 weeks later...

FYI......

April 19, 2007

Dear Royal Canin USA Customer,

It is with sincere regret that I inform you of a new and unfortunate development with some of our pet food products.

Although we have no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have decided to voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior

- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™

- Canine Skin Support SS21™

- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

• 3 weeks later...

Pet chef Express MN will solve all your food needs. They are organic and don't use any of the oversees products. Second Vote would go for Eagle Pack since again don't use the oversees products that the other 95% do. It is in the dry foods as well. My pets are my children so only the best for them!

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

This from Diamonds website:

05/23/07

Nutra Nuggets Recall Press Release

Diamond Pet Foods Recalls Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food

in 40 Lb. Bags Due to Melamine Cross Contamination

Meta, Mo. (May 23, 2007) – Diamond Pet Foods announced that it has recalled a limited quantity of Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Formula dry dog food in 40 lb. bags because of melamine cross contamination. To date, no animal deaths have been reported.

This action is limited to Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Formula dry dog food in 40 lb. bags with production codes of NLR0404A2SL or NLR0404B2SL, “Best Before” Oct. 9, 2008. The recalled product was manufactured at the company’s Lathrop, Calif. facility and sold through retailers in Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia, Canada. No other Nutra Nuggets products are affected.

The recalled product was manufactured at the same facility following production of other products that contained rice protein concentrate later found to be tainted with melamine, which is not an approved food substance. Pets who may have consumed the affected product should be monitored closely. Affected pets will usually drink a lot of water and will vomit within 24 hours after eating the food. Affected pets may exhibit the following symptoms, including but not limited to loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting. Consult your local veterinarian if your pet is exhibiting these symptoms.

Consumers who purchased Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Formula dry dog food in 40 lb. bags with production codes of NLR0404A2SL or NLR0404B2SL, “Best Before” Oct. 9, 2008, should stop using the product immediately and return unused portions to their retailer for a full refund. Consumers may also contact the Diamond Pet Foods Customer Information Center toll free at 1-866-214-6945 for further information. The Center, which is staffed by veterinarians, is open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CDT.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Pet chef Express MN will solve all your food needs. They are organic and don't use any of the oversees products... It is in the dry foods as well. My pets are my children so only the best for them!

Ralston-Purina peddles its dog food in just about every grocery store in MN. And Del Monte Foods mfgs many of the doggie treats and biscuits that are peddled through WalMart and other chains. Menu Foods operates packaging plants in New Jersey and Kansas that are used by many brands to package and can their dogfood.

I was using Purina's softpack dogfood when the first alarms went out around Mar 20th, and my grocer removed all the softpack items from its shelves. So I called the customer service number on the softpack package, and was advised to buy the top-of-the-line Alpo canned dogfood, also mfgd by Purina. I bought two multi-can packages, and my dog and I went on an extended trip. We got back in early April, two days after all the Alpo canned dogfood was finally recalled...

I still had all the empty Alpo cans, and 8 of them were on the recently-issued contaminated recall list. My vet examined my dog, told me her kidneys had almost completely failed, and recommended that she be put down. Three days later, on April 9th, I finally agreed.

I will never knowingly purchase another Purina or Del Monte product. I recently adopted a new dog, and I've been feeding her dog foods made with American ingredients suitable for human consumption. Brands like Fromm Family (Wisconsin) and Merrick (California)that produce both dry pellet and canned dogfoods, all suitable for human consumption. These foods are about 50% more expensive than the so-called premium dog foods that are not suitable for human consumption. I figure my dog is worth it, probably so is your dog...

• 3 weeks later...

Heard a quick blurb on the news tonite that there is now a concern with Chinese farmed seafood being unsafe due to introduced chemicals.

• 4 weeks later...

THERE IS A GOOD WAY TO AVOID YOUR PETFOOD PROBLEMS.BUY NUTRISOURCE.THEY ARE A MINNESOTA COMPANY. ALL THEIR INGREDIENTS COMES FROM THE MIDWEST. NOTHING OVERSEAS.