• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice conditions on Gun and or French

Hey everybody, I was wondering how the ice is on Gun and French lakes. I'm assuming the main parts of the lakes are fine, just a little more concerned how the shorelines are. Any information would be most appreciated. wink.gif Take care!

-BPB

I drove on the lake Sunday. At that time the landing was begining to get mushy. I would expect that if the weather warms this week, access will be difficult.

Where about on the lake would you be heading too.?

Crappie Todd,

Thanks for the quick responce. Its been a while since I've been up there. (on Gun) I got a few spots that have produced for me in the past that I would like to try. Usually I go directly across past the first island and fish the deeper water to the south of the second island. Then I maybe try more to the east along the south shore line. How was the bite last weekend? Thanks again.

-BPB

I fished it during the day. Crappies were active but running 7 to 9 inches. But thats about how big they are these days.

The popular spot was around the 2nd island.

Gun isn't what Gun once was. alot of fish but small.

What was the snow depth around Gun?? We are on Portage and

where wondering if we could get back to our campers yet?

I do not see any reason you could not. The snow is almost gone.

I was in the area on wednesday. Hardly any snow left. Water on the ice. There was about 2" of mushy stuff on top and the rest was solid ice. Did some fishing also and got enough keepers for a meal. Threw a lot of little ones back.

kb1965,

How was the landing on the lake you were on? Any info would be most appreicated. Thanks

-BPB

Landing was wet, and where the wheel tracks were it was a little slushy, but not bad. We used 4 wheelers on wednesday. If I make it out again I will use the wheeler. That is why I got it, and don't really need to take a chance anymore this year.

Last year, March 28th was the last trip on Gun with the big truck. The ice was thinner last year. I would agree that anything other than using your feet or a four wheeler from here on in this year would be risky. Moe snow melt this year and warmer temps. Makes for great ice fishing.

Last year the ice was out About April 12th. The norm for ice out once was April 25th. So last ice comes sooner now. in recent years it has been the second week in April.

So not much left after this week. One more trip mabey.

over 2 ft of ice in the area, there was a full size truck on french lake today. just be careful were you go, there are spots that are not good on all lakes here. I rode the wheeler out fishing this weekend, but with the temps and rain, it will be very bad ice soon.

Fished saturday. Beautiful day. warm no wind. fished the lake from end to end. trucks drivng on.

Sunday morning was heavy rain and fog. The ice was taking a beating.

I would imagine if yah put a long board across and jumped to the ice, then remains some good fishing. But I can't see it next weeknd. I think this is all she wrote for this year.

did yah all have a good winter on Gun.? I made it up a few times.