• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Iron Silk Mono

TUMBLEWEED

Question

I am trying this for the first time. I opted for the 10

pound line. Has anybody used this line before?? How did it

perform?? I initially had some line twist while installing

it on two Shimano spinning reels. I was able to tame this

problem. It looks great for live baiting or cranking.

I had to go away from the Fireline stuff. It keeps turning

white, and doesn't feel "right" in a slip bobber rig

either. For those that don't know, Berkley's Iron Silk

is a toughened, co-polymer monofiliment line. I may try some for the ultra light set-ups. Maybe 6lb would be

good for stopping some of those bite-offs from our

toothy pike friends!!

8 answers to this question

I am 50/50 on the stuff, if you are an expierenced knotsmen go to work, let me know what works! a lot of the time it would cut itself and you would have to start over...I did a doubled up trilene knot and it would still cut thru but not all of the time... if I did get a knot that did not cut thru the stuff was as tough as nails, as far as pike biting it off.. it would still happen.. as far as nicks in the line like they advertised that it would not break... it did..,it is a step up from regular mono.. but not as advertised I had many frustrated moments with the iron silk, whether it was the knot tieing or it was break offs, the stuff just was not as expected! I like spiderline mono 10 lb. I like it a lot! Lloyd Christmas

I have tryed it and i dont like it at all!!!! Its just seem way to hard, just doesnt fell like it bends and its doesnt cast good at all. I went to from that to P-line CXX... Know that stuff is tough and i still soft. My .02 wink.gif

I also tried it for slipp bobber rigging, and it cut the line by moving my depth marker, I still have on one rod for trolling crawlers on a lindy rig, I had it on three different rods but I did not like it for casting. Wow I guess from reading my posts, that I am probably now at 10/90 or maybe 5/95 frown.gif I too was sold on it when it first came out! I think I will be replacing it!

Yikes!! Not what I wanted to hear. I am going to try a

few different knots. Maybe the palomar knot can tame the cutting problem?? I wil let ya know what I find out

I used to use the stuff for catfish, but it did not perform well. Any sugestions for a replacement. Trilene maxx maybe?

Don't like that stuff one bit either, Had a few bad experiences as did a buddy of mine. Preffer maxima for mono, seagaur for flouro, and fireline for abrasion resistance and no stretch when trolling.

LOL doesnt sound good at all... I just thought i was the only one!!! wink.gif