• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Late Ice Crappie Lures

I am heading back up this weekend and I am wondering what the fav late season crappie lures are. I was up in the area over last weekend and used the flu flu and had on real nice 12 incher, but only a few others. I have a good selection of lures but most work better in the metro that up in the boorder country. Is it color that makes a difference? We are fishing about 30-35 feet of water and they are on the bottom and coming in around 25 feet so I was having better luck with dark color low and bright color high. Interested in any pointers or experence.

Good luck on the ice!!!

Go to Gateway, there they have a selection of southern crappie pro tubes that are reasonably priced. Black with a green or pink tail, black with a pink belly and white tail, and blue and white will be your best colors. Use them on a 1/16 oz jig and make sure they fish horizonatally. I have also used small jigging spoons and have done well on them. tip your spoons with a small chunk of scented plastics.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

Have you ever used any of the crappie bits from berkly? And thanks for the tip, I know I have seen them up at Phils store. What color jig head? Also, last weekend I did try the small buckshot rattler with no luck, how small of a jiging spoon, and is the at single hook or trebel, I have only tryed the trebel and it killed down in the metro this season.

Jeff,

There is just plain lead jigs that are small and will fit right up inside of the tubes.

The spoons that I use all have trebles on them. Some of the better ones are the forage minnow jigging spoons in the smallest size, I believe its a 1/8 oz. Small swedish pimples in gold should be good, and Custom Jigs and Spins demon jigging spoon in green and glow and also in pink and glow. Northland also make the eye dropper jigging spoons, but I have not had much luck on these.

When using the spoons, jigging like you would for walleyes draws them in and once they are interested little vibrating movements or sometimes just slowly pulling it away from the crappie will work.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

Thanks a lot Bill, I am headed to Frontier on Friday night and hope to get out Sat. and Sun morning depending on how sat. goes. I see you got a couple of inches, and rain may be on the way for Wed. between that and possible 58 on Sat. the water should be going down the holes hopfully getting those slabs active. Thanks again and good luck on the ice!!!

Thanks for the tips, I didn't get many on the plastics but the flu flu's where hot!!! Brought home the limit. Good luck out there.

Hi Big Jeff,

I'm heading up Wed. morning and I was wondering if you could share with me where you got the crappies? You could send me an email at [email protected] if you can offer me any assistance. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ps forgive me, but I don't even know where frontier is! thanks

The Crappie driller.

How were the ice conditions? What do you think it will be like this weekend?