• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Snake River  King

question on Bait casters????

Snake River  King

Hello what do you guys think about baitcasters I am thinking about going to Cabelas and Im thinking about getting a Diawa brand reel I have had good luck with them, but my buddies are more partial to Shamano reels what do you guys think "Diawa or Shamano"???/

iffwalleyes

It pretty much is a wash. I personally like Shimano but have never used a Daiwa either. Both are good. Abu Garcia's are good bait casters too.

hanson

What kind of fishing are you planning to do with this baitcaster?

Are you looking at a "round" baitcaster or a "low-profile" baitcaster?

Lots of good options. I'm partial to Abu Garcia myself. I run a bunch of Ambassadeurs on my cattin' rods, 6500C3 & 7000C3 models. If you are looking for low profile, the new Revo models by Garcia look pretty sweet!

Snake River  King

I'm looking for a low-profile baitcaster, I am going to use it for walleyes jigging and bass for casting pretty much all around use I really don't want to spend more then a $140.00 on a combo

Bobb-o

I have never used a baitcaster for jigging for walleyes, but i would think that a spinning reel would be better for this.

Ray Esboldt

SRK,

I wouldn't recommend a baitcaster for vertical jigging either. You're just going to be frustrated when you're pulling line off the spool trying to get 1/8 oz. jig to the bottom. A spinning reel works much better. But, if you're interested in a combo for casting spinnerbaits and crankbaits for bass or even trolling crankbaits, a baitcaster is a good option.

I am a Shimano fan, but have had several Diawas that went for quite a while as well.

Deitz Dittrich

Rats, I wish I would have seen this.. I worked all weekend at Cabelas in Rogers and would have loved to have talked to you..

What did you end up getting?

Matt Johnson

I'm a big fan of Shimano and Quantum.

Shimano Citicas and Curados are both priced nice and perform very well. Will work well for a variety of situations.

Quantum Accurists are another good choice. The Accurist PT is the higher end, and the Accurist CX is slightly cheaper, but don't let that push you away from choosing it, it still performs very well.

And obviously both Shimano and Quantum make other higher-end casting reels as well, but the ones listed above a easier on the pocketbook.

If you're looking for a combo for less than $140, then you're going to have a tough time if you're looking to buy something that will withstand some abuse and last a few years, as well as perform the way you want it to. $200 will get you a decent combo, but $140 is pushing it in my opinion...

slotlimit

Is there a backlashmaster made that you can whip a spinnerbait into the wind as hard as you can and not get a backlash. I used to own a baitcaster about 15 years ago and paid $80.00 for it and it had a dial on the side that you could turn the magnets up and it worked great just as long as I was casting into the wind or if there was no wind at all. I'm sure in 15 years there is better technology. I was thinking of gettting one again with a line counter on it that I could use for trolling raps as well. Any suggestions? I'll never forget when I was casting underhand in the back deck of my buddies boat and I hit the motor with the lure....i had to completely cut all the line off. So I just have always used a spincasting reel. I can cast farther with my shimano/berkley lightning rod then all of them with their fancy baitcasters and g-loomis rods. NOt only that I never have down time taking out the backlashes. But you know how it is...if your friends have it you should have one too.

SupaMan

I bought a Curado last spring, and I love it... Baitcasters will always out perform other styles of reels if you are looking for some reeling speed... Cant beat 7:1 gear ratio!

mnfishman

I purchased a Bass Pro Extreme baitcaster a few years ago and it is the best one I have bought so far. I don't think it was too expensive either. $50 sounds about what I paid for it shipped.