• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hummingbird sideimaging

senkoskipper

Question

So does anyone have one of these units? How does it work compared to your traditional sonar unit? From what i have seen on the commercial, im already sold. I want one so bad. Al Linder said it best "Imagine 100 feet of water around you just sucked out"

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Central Bassman

• katoguy

• Scott K

• sparcebag

If your home on weekends try to watch the fishing shows with linders,they have 2 times now used real time display through commericals.And 1 show devoted only to it.

From what I saw the fish are even harder to pick out and tell what kind they are. Ive seen the 797 and its a smaller type of screen maybe a little bigger than a Lowrance m68c model and is about 1200 or more with Navionics chip. The 997 is bigger and has a wider screen but sells for over 2000.

I've seen the Lindner's show. And like I said, I think it would be good. But keep in mind as much as I like the Lindner's..... They probably do more editing than anyone in the business and they are definitely paid to try and sell this unit.

I don't mean to sound so skeptical. I might get one myself down the road. I just would like to see it for myself in real use. I'm sure we all would.

I would love to see one of these in action before I spend that kind of money on this thing, so if any of you that have bought one already, and are looking for a fishing partner for an evening, look me up!

So where are you seeing the show with Al Linder and the hummingbird info. Satellite, uhf, vhf. I would like to see it!

Ive seen Al with it on at like 6am on some weekdays with a 30 minute segment on Humminbird Side Imaging on Fox Sports North. Lindners Edge airs Saturday and Sunday on Fsn and ch45 I think.

Do these only take Navionics cards or do they accept lakemaster also? I didn't see much on their site.

That's what I was afraid of.....Oh well, I'll wait until someone else comes out with a similar technology....hint Lowrance.....

type out side imaging . com and you'll be able to watch the clip. It is also on you tube. you tube . com and then search in the upper right hand corner for side imaging. Lindner is on clip 2 of 3.

They are on you tube... Sweet thanks i will have to look them up

WOW after watching them video. I want one. I think they are really cool. Im a big lowrances guy but this sideimaging is great and i think its a must for me.

Only if the lakemaster chip would work in this unit!!!

That is what I think. Lakemaster, I would find a way to afford it! I don't like the lake options of the Navionics chips.

Heres what I think of Lowrance. With 2 DOA units in a row I am saving for the Humminbird. Also from what I have seen of the Navionics chips on a sonar I like.

I just think the Lakemaster is alot easyer to read and use over the Navionics chips.

But im not planning on fishing in Minnesota all my life so i guess i will have to get use to using them

My Boat dealer has been waiting since february for a LCX 37

to put on my boat. Now he has been told it may be june or later! This Hummingbird is starting too look very good too me! I dont know why companys cant get there stuff together and get there new products out in time for spring! I think lowrance just lost a sale. If this is as good as it looks they may lose more then one!

Yea after watching them videos and hearing what everyone thinks about them i think i might become a Hummingbird guy. Even though i love Lowrance i think the side imaging can really help me. cool.gif

Just looking at those things at the sports show and at cabelas makes me want to buy one. It's like an underwater camera whithout the camera. Imagine what you might find on the bottom of your favorite lake. The pops is still confused on how those things work even after the dealer explaining it to us.

Just thinking about buying one of these again. Now that I let enough time pass that people had time to try them out. How are these things doing, are they the next best thing to sliced bread? Are they worth the$$? I am hoping that some people that has bought these will give me an update of what they think of them in action! Thanks for your help in advance!

I got a 797si, sliced bread doesn't stand a chance. Had the unit out a few times, the first time was on a very clear lake in a rocky area so I could see the rocks, they showed up on the SI just about as clear as i could see them through 8' of crystal clear water, it's also a good way to set your chart/ping speed by finding a particularly large rock and waiting to see how long it takes to appear on the screen. I was a bit skeptical when I bought it and was putting it on the boat, but once i got in the water and saw it for myself I was sold. I have a lot more experimenting to do with it, I've been out of town for the last week and won't be home until this coming wednesday. I'll get out and play with it more then, if you have any questions let me know.

If you fish a featureless lake(s) you won't be sold. Perhaps as weedlines become more defined?

Like it though, I have been fishing the Mankato area lakes for 30 years and find a few new things out each trip with SI. The regular sonar graph is also top notch, as well as the GPS screens (w/ Navionics chip).

I am getting the 977 Hummingbird! Can't wait. smile.gif

Just bought a 797, gonna put that on the dash. I'm looking forward to using it. Me thinks there oughta be enough structure on Cass to play with it! grin.gif

I'm gonna run the Humminbird as a sonar only... still going to run a globalmap networked to a new 522 up front.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

Just bought a 797, gonna put that on the dash. I'm looking forward to using it. Me thinks there oughta be enough structure on Cass to play with it!
grin.gif

I'm gonna run the Humminbird as a sonar only... still going to run a globalmap networked to a new 522 up front.

Good Luck!

Ken

I think that would be a super way to use this with what you already have. I wish they had a SI unit with/out GPS it would make it a little cheaper.

Can you network hummingbird units?? like you can the lowrance units??

Quote:

Can you network hummingbird units?? like you can the lowrance units??

Yes you can and it's actually less expensive than the Lowrance version. Check out Humminbird's website.

I don't know if the Low. 522's gps is any better than the 4800m's, but HB 997si has 16 satalite receiver that seems a lot more acurate than my 4800m with Nav. chips. HTB

I will have to do soem looking into it ones i get a new rig.

The only thing thing that i dont like about the Hummingbirds is that the lakemaster chip doesn't work in them. Do you guys that will change??