• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
JBMasterAngler

Unusual Catches On The River

JBMasterAngler

I've caught lot's of fish (usually northerns) with lampreys attached to them, mostly on the upper croix. Those things are totally alien looking!!!

TurnUpTheFishing

First fish we caught with one was last spring. We then caught three other fish with them. they were only about 6-8" but they really are ugly little things. We killed 'em all.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

I took a super nice friend from Cambodia once and all he caught in 8 hours of fishing was a old set Bar-B-Que Tongs!! laugh.gif

I caught a long nose Gar by the Hudson Bridge once.

Hooked a 8-9 Lb Carp - by the TAIL once - MAN did that fight HARD !!! Thought I had a HUGE Sturgeon on.........

Definately gonna fish for the odd ones more this year - ball up some Night Crawlers & see what bites....... grin.gif

Prescott Rob

I was fishing a top water Zara Spook a couple years back and a seagull came in and dive bombed it. The hooks got him in the eye and he began to fly away with my lure still stuck. I had to set the hook to get him in and eventually got the hook out and he flew away just fine. Very entertaining!

JBMasterAngler

My nephew caught a seagull once. I wasn't there so I don't know how it happened, but I had a good laugh looking at the pictures. I caught a mallard when I was like 5 years old. ALMOST caught a juvenile loon this past fall...that would've sucked.

walleyecheeks

I took my brother out on the croix about 5yrs ago. Not an outdoors. We were fishing for some eyes near Stillwater. He's like I got a bite I told him give him the hook. So he did said its a small. Got it up to the boat and it was a top for a womens bathing suit. Then about 20mn later he got a clam and a nice one at that. He catches everthing but fish. blush.gif

fdr01

my old man was fishing under prescott bridge and he saw a hawk divebomb on a pigeon he said it exploded(the pigeon) and he caught the feathers.he also has caught numerous rod and reels,he gives me some, i lube em up,if there anygood i keep em.fdr

lotsofish

I almost caught a loon the other day... crazy.gif

I stopped by Long Lake (New Brighton) on Friday to cast a slip bobber from the pier and see if anything was going on. First cast out, about 10 seconds later, a loon surfaced right between me and my bobber heading right toward my line. I think it saw me and it started to go back under, but my line did catch on it's back and it drug it along a little bit. It turned out to be no big deal, but I was worried for a minute about hooking the thing.

I didn't stay too long, no bites.

HossFisher

There have been numerous times where i have almost hooked a loon. Fortunatly i never have hooked one. Once i was fishing a plastic worm on in 12ft of water as it got to the boat i started to reel it up and the second a pulled it out of the water a loon cruised by underneath the water. (it was chasing my plastic worm)!

river rat316

Had a loon cost me my Personal Best largemouth last year, I was playing it out next to the boat cuase I had a crankbait on and didn't want a handful of hooks and angry fish attached to it, and out shoots this loon from underneath the boat and takes a stab at the fish (the fish was almost bigger than the loon confused.gif) the loon missed once and came back again and missed, went underneath my boat, and I probably should have landed the fish then but I was to busy cleaning the crap out of my shorts grin.gif, and he came back a third time and nicks the line with his beak and off swims a huge largemouth with a vintage bagley in his grill! The worst part was the stupid loon surfaced about 10 feet from the boat, and I started to cuss it out and tell it if it wasn't the state bird it'd be a dead bird by now, and the dam thing stands up in the water and flaps it wings at me and dives back under confused.gifgrin.gif.... I sat there with a stupid look on my face cause I just got told off by a bird that probably thought I was responsible for ruining the biggest meal of his life grin.gif

JBMasterAngler

That loon flipped you the bird...literally!!! grin.gif

croixeyes

Unusual catches on the Croix mmmmmmmmmm.Lets see rod and reels,clams,beer cans,american eel,mudpuppy,underwear...they fit nice and loose grin.gifa bunch of lures including one of Turks secret baits a ton of old line and rigs and my dog.{dont let your crankbaits dangle around curious puppies}.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

This is odd (& kinda a relief...)

I was floating thru the Kinnickinnic channel with my (now ex) GF, she caught a nice4 lb walleye. Instead of my usual reeling up, I put the rod down to net her fish, and (of course) the vertical bait I had caught something, snagged and over the rod & reel went right into the water!! This is because the current was taking us downstream of course. Man, I swore, then no more than "5" minutes later, a guy was trolling behind us AND CAUGHT MY ROD & REEL !! ooo.gifcool.gif

He reeled 'er in and gave it back to me - what a great guy !!! smile.gif

...and what a relief getting a nice, new, Rod & Reel back !!! grin.gif

bassphish2005

I hooked a muskrat on a spinnerbait many years ago

used a paddle to dislodge the hook

didn't want the thing in my boat....no way

slipperybob

It was getting dark, we were still fishing...next thing I knew my line was getting a tug at and it was going up. I can see it, it was a bat! Darn bat attacked my slip bobber stopper and got tangled on the fishing line.

SupaMan

I once caught a bra on the river... SOmebody must have lost a bra and i caught it... 36D bra! This was about the weirdest thing i ever caught on the river grin.gif

Ebiz

In theory could you keep a rainbow trout this weekend? I've been looking through the regs and can't find anything about it in the border waters section. If I'm reading things correctly the inland stream trout season is open but only on streams not lakes (until May 12th). Assuming you would need a trout stamp of course.

Orlip

I believe the croix is considered a lake though is it not? (Lake St. Croix) In that case the season starts May 12

tunrevir

Post deleted by

Tunrevir~

john.wells

Quote:

I believe the croix is considered a lake though is it not? (Lake St. Croix) In that case the season starts May 12

It is a border water regardless of classification. If there was any discrepencies, it would be clearly stated in the regulations. Therefore, it DOES open this Saturday.

john.wells

I just went back to the post and realized that the response was in regard to whether or not a trout could be kept; not of the general "walleye" opener on the river. That is a good question, and I am sure a lawyer would have fun with it. In my opinion, and I stress opinion, I would believe that you would be legal in the sense that the St. Croix, regardless of language of classification, would be a legal body of water due to the fact that it is, in effect, a stream. It is also not considered an inland water, which is also a provision stated in the manual in regard to season dates. A point to consider on legality- the manual also states that the book is merely a synopsis of the laws, and does not necessarily reflect the complete set of laws. There may be some obscurities that are covered, such as this, that even a warden may not have knowledge of. I would personally keep one if caught under the premise of the manual stating "stream trout", and not "inland lakes", for the taking of trout.

catflisher

back in 86' when i first started fishin' the croix,we'd fish up by the railroad bridge north of the hudson bridge...ducks would come around looking for handouts.i decided to tie a fathead to my line(no hook!!!) and cast it to them..sure enuf,one would take it,swim away and i would wait a bit,then pull the minnow back away or out of him..this went on back and forth until he finally gave up...it took a while tho'..kids,don't do this at home...

Orlip

I would only assume the fishing was just to good to allow you the time for this. smirk.gifwink.gif

Ebiz

Quote:

That is a good question, and I am sure a lawyer would have fun with it

That's what I was thinking

slipperybob

Quote:

In theory could you keep a rainbow trout this weekend? I've been looking through the regs and can't find anything about it in the border waters section. If I'm reading things correctly the inland stream trout season is open but only on streams not lakes (until May 12th). Assuming you would need a trout stamp of course.

You'll need a trout stamp for sure. The St. Croix River is a river. If you catch trout you may keep it. If you're on Lake St. Croix it's a lake. Just like Lake Pepin on the Mississippi river.

I did catch a trout, had a conservation officer verified it. He wanted to make sure I had a trout stamp. He let me keep it. That was years ago, but I don't remember which date for time of season it was, only spring time. If another conservation officer tells me no then I'll obey him.