• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reserving camp sites

I have herd that this year maybe the last year for go find an open camp site. Has anyone else herd anything about this? If so how did they say this would be policed? I think it could have some benefits and down falls.

We camped there a few times last year and talked with some rangers and it was never mentioned. I guess I personally like it as first come first serve. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though I guess.

It is just a rumor. There are no plans to go to a reservation system anytime soon. There are times that I wish there was a reservation system, especially after I have burned a tank of gas looking for a site. But if that does happen it will be out in the future sometime.

There are two new group sites in the park for 14-30 people that can be reserved. There also is a $35 per night charge for using the group sites.

Duckster

Duckster, can you give me an idea where the group sites are? Lat and Longs will work if need be.

I think when they started the "permit"issuing a couple of years back they said then that they do limit the number of people they let use the park but it seems to me we've had times when we can't find a site either.(mostly on summer weekends)Still some of the best sights and fishing in the upper 48(imo)c63

Wade,

The group sites are on Kabetogama and Rainy. The Kab site is on the north shore of Kab near Cuculus Island. It is at the site of Jeno Palluci's old cabin if you know where that was.

The Rainy group site is on the west end of the Brule south of bouy C13

You can get reservations starting on June 4th at www.recreation.gov or 877-444-6777. If you want more info on the sites try www.nps.gov/voya Hope this helps.

Duckster

Thanks Duck. No problem with me, I use Sandpoint and namakan campsites.

Quote:

Wade,

The group sites are on Kabetogama and Rainy. The Kab site is on the north shore of Kab near Cuculus Island. It is at the site of Jeno Palluci's old cabin if you know where that was.

The Rainy group site is on the west end of the Brule south of bouy C13

You can get reservations starting on June 4th at
or 877-444-6777. If you want more info on the sites try
Hope this helps.

Duckster

I forgot that Palluci did have a cabin on Kab(jerk). Are all the sites by reservation now or can you still camp anywhere you want but just have to reserve the campsites that are set up by the Park Service

Sachem, the only sites requiring reservations at this time, are the two group sites mentioned by duckster. The remaining campsites are first come, first serve. Campers are not allowed overnights at houseboat sites, but otherwise they may stay at any of the other VNP campsites and only need to register as they go into the park.

Non VNP sites fall under some discretionary rules as to distance from existing campers and etc, might want to check regulations. good luck guts

Sachem,

You can camp anywhere still but need a permit. If you camp in a undesignated site you have to be at least 200 yards from a developed site, at least 1/4 mile from a developed area (boat ramp, visitor center), and at least 200 yards away from any structure. I prefer to camp in a designated site because of the food locker, table and fire-ring. I hope that this answers your questions.

Duckster

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.