• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Eric Wettschreck

Prairie potholes and how to fish them.

Eric Wettschreck

I've been reading some of the posts in other sections of this site. They're jam packed full of good info. However, those of us who fish the prairie potholes know it's apples to oranges to the mid state and northern lakes. So I thought I'd get some tips rolling for those of us who fish the local lakes. No ones asking for honey holes and GPS coordinates (I'll gladly take them, however grin.gif), just a tip or 2 aboot fishing the warm, shallow lakes.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Early season pike are aboot as nasty aand mean tempered as the average mother-in-law. Play on their temper and success should follow. I like to literally drag a lure through the mud and silt. Sometimes I'll add a weight about a foot above the lure if I'm trolling. This way I know the lure is acutally dragging in the mud. If trolling for early season pike don't be afraid to speed it up a bit, get your lure in the mud, and leave a trail. Lure selection isn't nearly as important as getting that puppy down in the dirt and kicking things up. The standard ole reliable red and white daredevil is my go-to for just this presentation.

Who's next?

foxhunter

i like to put on my waders and take advantage of the shallow walleyes.

mskyfshntchr

One thing out of the norm I have had luck with for walleyes is using bass style cranks.

Fishing from shore with a strong wind pounding the shoreline has been most productive. Using a DT2 or DT4 style bass bait with rattles in it. Bright colors.

The fish are chasing baitfish on the windblown side of the lake and using a bigger profile bait with some rattles has been more productive than using a normal rapala. Normal rapalas outshine on calmer days, though.

I found this out by accident one day. I was fishing with 3' waves hitting shore and I saw a walleye break the surface about 5 feet from shore chasing bait. I had on a rapala and was not having any luck. When I checked the truck, I had another rod spooled up with a bass crank with a steel leader. So, I figured why not...2nd cast, WHAM! 20 inch walleye. And it has been producing for me ever since on those shallow potholes smile.gif

So much for them not liking leaders...

Rost

Post deleted by Rost

Eric Wettschreck

Yup, it's a real load of bull. grin.gif

Rost

yeah.. I had to get rid of it. Way to much to read without waders on. grin.gif.

Eric Wettschreck

Well, I was kidding. grin.gif

Don't have to take everythin so serious. Put it back up, there was some good info in there.

skinnylee

a SPINER AND A leech on a slow drift

PerchPounder

we usually drift really slow with a night crawler on the bottom for walleyes. grin.gif

sparcebag

I like to slow drift with 1/4 oz. weight 12-16" leader with a floating jig & leach,crawler.

123fish

Maybe it's so obvious no one has mentioned it but how about put on a shad rap and troll. Probably more fish caught on out prairie lakes that way than all other methods combined.