• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tick season Frontline or Advantix?

settersit

With tick season looming, I was wondering everyones thoughts on what they preferred to use. Although I've been useing Frontline on my setter for several years, I'm less than impressed, it seems every 3 weeks is the norm instead of monthly. I still seem to have to pick off a few "wigglers" at that. Advantix says it is also a reppellant which Fronline is not. My vet says Frontline stays on better if your dog is in wet conditions. I'd like to hear some more feedback as I only have 1 vial left and need to reorder. As a sidenote, he also said he's been getting excellent results from the Lyme vacine, much better than when originally brought out. I fiqure, anything that can help protect your best hunting buddy is a plus, to many good dogs have lost years of hunting time on account of this disease.

We used Frontline for the first two seasons we had our labs and then tried K9-Advantix last year.

In my opinion it is six one way, half a dozen the other. Either product will do the trick.

The Advantix is supposed to have a mosquito repellant. I thought it would be a good idea to try it in hopes that I would work on horse & deer flies to since those nasty buggers seem to like picking on pups. I really didn't notice it having any effect on the flies.

We have black labs and as you can imagine it is tough to see ticks on them. Two years ago about a hour after I had applied Frontline to Oscar he was walking through the kitchen and I saw a tick drop off of him. I thought that was pretty impressive.

I've had good luck with Bio-Spot. You can order it through some of the online vet catalogs. I've also seen it for sale at my local mill but it's a lot more expensive through them. I've found that, along with applying it the way instructed, putting a drop or two on each ear tip, my dogs don't have trouble with biting flies. I normally apply it once a month during fly season.

I would second Bio-Spot. You can get it at any big-box pet store without a prescription. I used Frontline and it worked well. A friend of mine turned me on to Bio-Spot and neither of my labs has had a tick. I think the big selling point for me was the price. Bio-Spot is much less expensive.

I've had very good luck with the Frontline. I live in a heavy wood tick area, sometimes after a walk you can watch the 'wood tick races' up your pantleg!!! Before Frontline, I was picking 20+ ticks a day off my labs! I do think that the stuff you get from the vet lasts longer than the stuff I pick up at Walmart, but its more expensive from the vet. 6 one way and 1/2 dozen the other. When I start seeing ticks again, I reapply. By July 1, tick season is done and I don't have to reapply any longer.

look to see if there is Permethrin in these drugs, it is a neurotoxin that can cause seizures. It happened to both my labs when i used the product about 4 years ago, now i use frontline and spray the dog with mosquito spray, anything with deet helps keep the ticks off while hunting.

I have two questions. Does Bio-spot match the staying power of Frontline or Advantix? I had heard that Bio-spot washes off in water. Seems to me like Bio-spot is applied to your dog's coat, rather than directly to the skin. I may be thinking of another product, though.

Also, do ticks show up again in the fall? I seem to remember hearing that ticks start popping up again in September/October. That's why I usually buy the six-month supply of Frontline.

I hunt grouse/deer in the Park Rapids area, and in the fall the deer ticks are lousy even got to visit my Dr during deer season after one hooked me up during deer camp. Have used frontline on my dogs with excellent results. Don't know why there is an expolsion of them in that area, never used to be a problem.

I swear ticks today have morphed into a new breed of Super-ticks. I pretty much resign myself to the fact deer ticks in particular are a year-round battle. For the past several years I have pulled deer ticks off my dog through the end of december and grouse season. If you get a nice day they'll be out, or what ever it is ticks do. The areas around Snake river, Mille Lacs and Solana are absolutely terrible. I have always used Advantage and just recently thought of switching, so this discussion is good.

I work in the woods year round and have had ticks on me right till freeze up. Lots of ticks till july but there still around later on.Had lymes two years in row, nasty stuff for dogs and humans. Spray boots and pants with deet and then when you come in throw clothes in dryer on high for 15 min. and fry the bastards. Then shower and check yourself in the mirror.

Biospot is applied just like Frontline. It comes in a little tube and is a slightly oily substance. I basically part the hair down the middle of my dogs' backs and apply the BioSpot. I apply it once a month and have yet to have a tick. The stuff works very well in my opinion. I did the Frontline thing for a number of years and had great success as well. Both are great products. The price of Biospot makes it my choice because I have two labs and I apply it from April until December.

This is just why I joined this forum, you get a across the board respondence from real people in the field. For the record I've used bio-spot, but as soon as I open it she takes off, I don't know if it's the smell or if there is a response to a oil burn or what. I think this season I'll try the Advantix and see how it does. Found the first tick on her today, I live in exreme SE MN, beware ticks are on the way!

I see this year's version of BioSpot has mosquito repellant in it too. I used to use it, mostly because it is cheaper, but I work my two dogs in water up to five times a week, and the Advantix seems to work better. No ticks on them last year, and no problems with it staying effective for a month's time.

Every vet I've talked too around my home in the Breezy Point/Brainerd area recommends Frontline and I've noticed when my GSP gets an attached tick, it dies often right away.