• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

thoughts on Suzuki

Dahitman44

I just got a trophy 185 (kids and wife) and it came with the 175 Suzuki and a 6-year warrenty and I had problems with my '83 two stroke versions of that motor.

Just wondering what you guys think and if I did the right thing. 175 is max on that boat, but that old 2stroke was a Piece of Garbage.

Please, guys put my mind at ease.

Who has one?

My bro-in-law has a 90hp Suzi 4-stroke and it is a great motor!

You'll be happy,

Corey Bechtold

Mille Lacs Guy might chime in here since he got the 150 Suzuki I believe, and he knows a thing or two about them, but my understading is you'll be just fine with that motor.

Congrats on the new rig!

Good choice Hit, I've heard great things about those Suzuki's. Did you get a 4 stroke? The Johnson 4 strokes are Suzuki's painted white, and I have two friends that have the 140 4 stroke and love them. You'll have to take me on a test drive laugh.gif

'83 to '07 is a big swing, lots has changed since then. I have a 90 4 Suzuki tiller and absolutely love it, just got it last September but put some hours on it fishing the river last fall and I could not be happier with it. My father in law has a 115 Suzuki 4 on his and same story.

I HAVE A 15 HORSE EVINRUDE 4 STROKE WHICH IS A SUZUKI I LOVE IT RUNS GREAT I HEARD AT ONE TIME THEY HELD TOP HONERS FOR LEAST PROBLEMS HAVE A GOOD ONE

Very surprised you had troubles with the older Suzuki. I have used many of them and they have always been TOTALLY dependable and very well built. I would not worry about your latest engine-I suspect you will have little or no trouble. I still have a couple small Suzies and they run every time we need them.

I have a 115 Johnzuki on my pontton. Great running motor! Quiet and very fuel efficient. Spent a week running around Vermilion last July. 22ft pontoon, 6 people, all the fishing gear. Used 27 gallons of gas for the week.

You should be in good shape with the Suzuki.. they make a pretty good 4 stroke.

marine_man

Great rig! The only thing "bad" I've heard about Suzuki is that they can be a little hard to prop. Since it's a 4 four stroke and has low gears compared to other outboards the prop selection isn't as big. I've heard of guys using stainless steel props up to 25 pitch with that motor. Ask if you can try a few props out before you settle on one.

Quote:

Great rig! The only thing "bad" I've heard about Suzuki is that they can be a little hard to prop. Since it's a 4 four stroke and has low gears compared to other outboards the prop selection isn't as big. I've heard of guys using stainless steel props up to 25 pitch with that motor. Ask if you can try a few props out before you settle on one.

Yes this is right. I run a 23 Pitch on my 140 but that makes it run like a dream. Decent top end and decent hole shot. They are a nice motor

I have a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke as well. Everyone comments on how quite and smooth that motor runs. You made a good choice.

JD Power and Associates had the Suzuki and the Honda tied for first place in customer satisfaction for 4-Stroke outboards last year. For what that's worth.

I researched outboards for three years before I finally went with a Suzuki DF60 last spring. Coming from all the message boards out there, there was a constant theme; guys who had the Suzukis just loved them and having problems with the motors seemed non-existent. I think you'll enjoy that motor and it should treat you well.

Thanks a lot you guys. You talked me off the roof. wink.gif

I did have problems with my 83 60 hp. -- we called it Sushi and that is what it was -- cold raw fish. wink.gif

I got it on a used boat from somebody I "trusted" maybe that was the problem as well. Plus nobidy in the F-M area would work on them besides a small shop -- had it in 3 times and finally got rid of it. I am sure the guy before me did not take care of it very well.

Anyone have the 175???

Just got mine back in late July 06,and love it. I have the 140 on a 18.5 monark.After the break in period was able to feel the hole shot power and top speed on the gps was 52mph. Not bad with 47 gallons of gas and a fat man.

I have 2005 Johnson 140 4 stk and overall like it a lot on Alumacraft 175CS (rated for 150). Motor runs great, starts great, great fuel economy. Only thing I am a little disapointed in is the top end and hole shot. I have 3 blade alum prop (dont know pitch ect) My boat is loaded with accesories, but thought I would get better than 42-43 mph gps, maybe I am wrong? Also I tried water skiing behind and could barely get up on 1 ski after a lot of dragging. I though about trying a different prop, but a few mph is not that big of a deal, and 95% of the time is used for fishing.

Matt

If you prop it for a better top end, you're going to have even more problems getting up on one ski. Drop the pitch and you should be able to ski better, but you'll lose the top end, too. 4 strokes are also not really good for skiing; you'd get way better pop off the line with a two stroke.

Ralph,

What is a good SS prop (pitch, blades, ect.)you would suggest for me for top end. I have buddies with tow boats if I really want to ski which is not that much anymore. I have done a little research, but am still confused.

Thanks, Matt

I'm no expert, so I really have not idea what would work with your particular set-up. Your best bet would be to contact a prop shop. They should be able to give you a good starting point and then work with you to find the best prop for your situation.

I have the Johnson 140 on a 1800 Lund Fisherman and the top end is around 42mph which is good enough. My boat came with an Aluminum prop and was a bit sluggish getting on plane and topped out at 36 mph. I talked to Jay Soderbloom and ordered a SS prop from him (13 1/4-19 Turbo, 3 prop) and it gave me a bit more top end (6 mph) and much better hole shot (it gets up right now) which my kids enjoy when skiing.

I ran the 175 suzuki on a 175 tournament pro last year, all I can say is I love it. I have ran other 4 strokes in the past, and this suzuki is top notch. I also had to try a few different stainless props to get the correct one. I wouldn't say its hard to prop this motor, dealers just didn't know what prop to put on because the motor was brand new last year. They were looking for feedback from me to help them. All I can say is when you hit the throttle you better be holding on to something. I wouldn't buy a suzuki unless your are looking for a quiet, gas efficient, clean,and powerfull motor. smirk.gif

I have a 150 Suzuki on order with my new boat. I have done a lot of research on the Suzuki 150 and 175 over the past year and have not heard of hardly any problems. Especially no major problems, i.e., blowing them up like one poster mentioned.

I would say these motors are not difficult to prop they are just different to prop compared to most other 4 strokes. The reason is that Suzuki runs a much lower gear ratio that allows you to spin a larger diameter prop while also getting a very good hole shot with the large diameter prop. I have heard of guys running 25 to 27 pitch props on some aluminum boats with the Suzuki DF 150 and 175. I will be running a 20 foot fiberglass boat with the 150 and will either need a 21 or 23 pitch. A comparable Yamaha or Mercury would probably run a 17 to 19 pitch on the same boat.

The Suzuki also has really improved the fuel injection as compared to older four strokes. It has a new and improved electronic fuel injection system that is really smooth and easy on the gas as well.

It is also important to note the large displacement of both the 150 and 175 Suzuki's. I know the 150 has the largest displacement in it's class. There is a saying there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to power on any type of engine and Suzuki has the highest displacement.

The DF 140 is good motor but it is considered a weak 140 because it actually has the same displacement as the 115 and possible even the 90 Suzuki. It just runs a higher RPM thus creating more power on the high end not necessarily on the low end of the RPM range.

Bottom, line right now is that Suzuki probably makes the best four stroke motors if you look at the technology they have. They were tied with Honda for number one in 4 strokes for customer satisfaction by JD Power. I am looking forward to mine I know that.

Quote:

Just got mine back in late July 06,and love it. I have the 140 on a 18.5 monark.After the break in period was able to feel the hole shot power and top speed on the gps was 52mph. Not bad with 47 gallons of gas and a fat man.

What prop are your running on your setup? I have the same rig and moved up to a higher pitch than the dealer put on but still run too high on the rpms at WOT.

I have heard that the Stainless steel props are the only way to go. There is too much torque on the ulum. and they bend and don;t have the hole shot they should.

That is what I hear. All of the new 150-175 come with SS props -- i guess they learned. smirk.gif

guys --

Thanks for your posts. I have heard very good things about this motor and it is noce to hear it from the people that have it.

Thanks

Hitman