• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite Lure/ Jig for the big Red

I had some success with a red/white ring worm with a double tail. I had this rigged on about 3/8 ounce jig. I caught my biggest wally ever on this rig.

About 99% of the time I'm using 1) a small jig and plastic (with or without minnow), 2) a slip rig with a straight hook or a floating jig, or 3) a shallow running reef runner or a bomber long-A.

I would have to say either a creek chup with a plain hook or a sucker with a plain hook!!! The bigger the better but around 6 inches is always good!!!

o yeah!!! We used to use 23 inch sucker minnows for muskies until the DNR said it was illegal!!!

By the way did Gander in Fargo here get any creek chubs????

Does anyone stick to one color over the next, my dad swears by a black mister twister in the river.

I haven't used a lot of creek chubs, becuase you never used to be able to get them here. However, I did used to use a lot of 5-8 inch suckers. Big walleyes will definitely take baits that size. I also used to fish with a guy who used to throw a 9 inch crank bait all the time- and he caught plenty of walleyes on it.

As far as color goes- I mix it up quite a bit. I throw a lot of white, yellow, and orange. But every color of the rainbow has been the hot ticket at one time or another. Experiment and see what works for you on any given day. Also, experiment with size of jig/lure/bait. Some days big is the ticket while other days small will produce big results.

Whistlers in pink or white with sumo Fatheads is my pick in the spring. Second choice would be white twisters on a 1/8 oz pink jig rigged with a sumo fathead minnow.

Come post spawn the bigger femails will go for larger baits pinned on a short leeder on the bottom. I have caught a few big girls post spawn on whole Goldeye heads while fishing early cats, they feed on easy meals at this time.

Post spawn recovery kicks in and cranks start to do well as do swimming plastics like swim shads. Love that THUMP of a chubby walleye on a swim shad.

Jigs and minnows rule most pre-spawn river bites on rivers, more or less.

Thanks for the post if I have my info correct you had known my uncle Einer Satter