• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i'm pumped!

fdr01

i dont know about any of you guys but i am totally pumped up about this year.i'm positive if the rotation turns out ok we will be central champs at least.speaking of which here is my rotation1)santana-of course2)ortiz-inning eater3)bonser-could be star4)garza-this kid is a stud5)perkins-gopher pride baby! also suitable would be slowey and if all else fails try ponson.our bullpen is sweet and i think it might be the best in baseball.so heres to the 07 season im calling it now world series champs.fdr

I suspect we'll see Silva, Ponson, and Ortiz all in the rotation at the beginning of the year. I view this as a 'set-up' year...see which of those young guys - Garza, Bonser, Baker, Perkins - can step up and be a solid starter.

Then next year, you have Santana, Liriano should be back, and two or maybe three of those four young guys. It will probably be mid-season 2008 before Liriano gets back into form, but if he can come back and Bonser and Garza can pan out, 2008 could be a very good year for the Twins.

I think their rotation is a bit short this season. And I don't want to see Garza and Bonser in the rotation and pitching a lot of innings this year, lest we have another Liriano-like situation on our hands. Bring 'em along slowly, let them develop - either in the minors or in the bullpen - and avoid an injury situation from overuse too early in their career (see: Liriano, Rafael Soriano, and others).

I pick the Twins to be just over .500 this year, probably miss out on the playoffs, but be very serious World Series contenders in 2008 when they can establish a stronger starting rotation.

Don't be too sure about Ponson. He hasn't done much yet although the next 20 days will determine the rotation. And Silva hasn't been a show-stopper either. Perkins had a good outing today, he's a lefty and he doesn't cost much. Ryan's investment in Ponson is short-term only. Plus, it looks like Ortiz has found a home. Cuts this week.

I would bet the starting roatation will be a revolving door...outside of Santana, I bet there will be a lot of mixing things around...

Revolving door starting rotation is right. There are six or seven guys behind Santana for four spots. And while I think Silva, Ponson, and Ortiz will all start the season in the rotation, all bets are off by the first part of June as to what the rotation will look like.

I'm fairly confident that our extended pitching staff (including whoever is in the minor leagues) will perform well. It's inevitable that some of our pitchers will perform above expectations, some below, everyone (except Santana maybe) will have a slump for part of the year, and a few will be injured. All in all though it's a pretty good crew and we should have some decent long relief if needed.

Bonser pitched very well today,,,,he maybe slotted #2 behind Santana

Pitching wins Championships.......

i realize that we dont want any harm to come to our younger pitchers but i just cant see us going anywhere with that pansy a** silva in the rotation i think the twins made a huge mistake resigning him.plus with our bullpen they only have to go 5-6 innings until they get there legs under them.the only downfall i see is they will get noticed and than want big $$$$$$ and we all know what happens than.fdr

Speaking of mistakes, what were the twins thinking picking up lecroy. I havent followed too closely but have they cut him yet? The argument for him was that he was a fun guy in spring training and in the clubhouse. I feel him and Lohse are the two biggest disappointments for the twins this decade, why bring back the bad memories.

I think they might be planning on sending him to the minors to help develop some of their young pitching talent. I read somewhere that he is actually pretty smart behind the plate and good at working with pitchers. He just can't throw a ball from behind the plate to 2nd base.

can you beleve they started lohse in front of santana.that is why i have to ? gardy on the starters he already had that oversight.so he is afraid to start some rook over ponson.i just dont get it and listening to some of santanas interveiws it still sticks in his craw that they left him in the pen so long.

I don't know that Lecroy was / is disapointing . He is not a great ball player by any means but I think he makes the game a little funner . You can time him to first with a sundial and he is as much a threat to steal 2nd as I am , but I like him .

The latest report is that Ortiz and Silva are firmly entrenched in the rotation.

I'm gonna defend Silva here. Yeah, last year was nasty. A high ERA of almost 6. Yet, he got 11 wins (he was 11-14) and had a better than 2-1 strikeout to walk ratio. You can't throw a rookie in and expect an 11-14 record.

And lets not forget that 2005 had an ERA of 3.44 in 188 innings (and a ridiculous strikeout to walk ratio of almost 8:1). In 2004, 203 innings with 14 wins and an ERA of 4.21 with the customary 2:1 strikeout to walk ratio.

And he was injured most of 2005. The guy is a workhorse, and has a track record of success. You have to give him every opportunity to hold down a rotation spot.

I'd vote for Silva to be 4 or 5 starter unless he can prove otherwise. Lecroy has bad knees and is a liability at catcher. If Kubel can hit, he'll RH DH and Cirrilo will LH DH. Cirrilo will also play 1B. That doesn't leave much room for Lecroy.

There is no doubt that Bonser is the second best starter on this team. He took every opportunity and made the best of it last year, and is throwing GREAT already now. He is getting overlooked, and that is fine. Silva can get on the next plane back to whichever central american country he came from for all I care, he is a cancer to this team.

Agreed, the youngsters coming up are looking very impressive, only a matter of time when the Tigers and Chisox have to beef up their lineups even more to have a chance against our arms of steel wink.gif

the twins brought lecroy back so they have 3 catchers they want to be able to redmond as catcher and use mauer as dh occasionally and with mauer at dh that leaves no backup catcher those games that is the reason lecroy is back with the twins. i ask myself isnt there someone else who can catch that has better ability to throw guys out or who can at least run faster than their shadow.

They also have Ken Harvey and isn't he a backup catcher? I seen he is on the DL right now with something but maybe he will be the 3rd catcher??

Harvey is having arthroscopic knee surgery, and also has a chest muscle strain of some sort. His is out for at least two months. The Royals gave up on his ability to catch when he was with them, and he was almost exclusively a DH.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

i ask myself isnt there someone else who can catch that has better ability to throw guys out or who can at least run faster than their shadow.

Many more parts to a catcher game then throwing runners out. He does have a little pop in his bat and handles pitchers well. I like watching him, good guy in the clubhouse which is very important in a team game.

you talking about matt lecroy? 308 slugging percentage is not what id call pop in the bat. handling pitchers? 14 strikeouts in 39 plate appearances isnt exactly handling pitchers. He does have some character though.

I think he meant handling our pitching staff as far as calling the right pitches, knowing who throws what best and how well they can locate each of their pitches. We all know he isn't the best guy hitting the ball but I would take 3 LeCroy's in the locker room over one cancerous Barry Bonds or similar a-holes like that. I don't think he will make the big league team for the entire season but he has a great attitude for keeping the team upbeat if they get into a little rut.

Quote:

you talking about matt lecroy? handling pitchers? 14 strikeouts in 39 plate appearances isnt exactly handling pitchers.

Term used in regards to handling his own pitcher, calling a game. As for batting not looking at preseason numbers. He will do just fine during the season. Redmond will be seeing most of the relief play behind the plate. Not to mention the price was right. A little first base relief to.

yes i had misunderstood as far as handling pitchers wasnt trying to bash you bobby he is a great guy to have on the team as far as character goes.

o.k so back to the silva bashing this is why nobody takes us seriously.this guy should be pitching in the venezualian single A league.you gotta be kidding me that this guy gets into this rotation.what do you think is going to happen if he has to pitch in detroit or k.c or chicago during the early spring he might give up 10-12 runs in one inning.i realize he will be in the rotation but go back to my original post and that SHOULD be the rotation i'd rather have ponson! that silva.fdr

o.k so back to the silva bashin, he just makes me sick when he pitches I wish they would have spent the money on a young arm. But we don't see what is going on and Gardy likes him for some reason. I just hope he can put the hook on him before he loses to many games. Or perhaps he may surprise us all.. ( that would be a surprise)