• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake "Private Access"

So I went to Pelican Lake to do some fishing. Noticing that there was only one way onto the lake after the recent snowfall. So I proceeded onto the lake on what was supposidly private property. Which is fine, I just did not notice any signs. Ok so I am then asked to leave. Well was'nt I technically on public water (last I checked nobosy owned the lake) as of that time and there would be nothing this guy could do. I was asked to leave and I did so without conflict, but after thinking about it....this is the only access as fo right now. Couldnt this guy maybe be proactive rather than reactive. Put out a donation box for use of the access. I mean I asked him nicely and was told no way in hell, along with a fnheimer. All people want to do is fish, why play this out like some petty power trip. Just my two cents. We did learn to share in kindergarten.

Just curious what access you are refering to? is it the one that leads to the plowed road off the north side that people drive out of?

Off of 37, I believe it is the north side. There is a bunch of plowed road out there.

I would love to know if that ice is with in 33 feet from the center line of the road. Dont quote me but i think that is the measure from the center line which makes it legal to pass. The same situation happened on Schmidt lake and the land owner had to take his fence down for people to pass. cool.gif

YEa, it would be interesting, but come on this guy did not have to be such a jerk about it. All a guy wants to do is fish, not like I am out there to wreck anything. I would like to think that once your on the ice there is not anything this guy could do. He has to see this coming by having a 2 car wide road plowed right off the road to the lake.

If it is in fact private land and outside the easment i can see where he would be upset. If it's within the esment he realy can't do anything. I would assume because you were on the ice he can not make you leave. Now i would think he could make you walk a long ways to leave the lake and not cross his land. I believe they own the whole (Contact Us Please) side of the lake??? confused.gif

Guys, I want to chime in here before this message thread gets out of hand.... I am actually the guy that has the cable across the pennisula of land that leads to the plowed road to the lake that pennisula of land is private. You are right about an easement coming up to the road in the area where the ice road is plowed to the lake. The "gap" that opens to the lake has a pressure ridge in it and actually a pickup fell in there before the snow so I wouldn't recommend crossing as I can see it is very slushy. Jeep Guy give me a call 612/490-3378 and I would be happy to let you in the gate as long as I know you are going through no fees no nothing.. I am an active outdoorsman and enjoy the resources just as much as the next guy..... I borrowed my buddies account to post this so I won't reply any further.....

I know you are not going to reply, I will give you a call if I decide to come back out. I was not trying to start a negativity fest by posting, I understand that a few bad apples can make everything miserable for the rest, like I said before I was just looking for a place to fish.

Jeepguy - you make this sound like the landowner has an obligation to you to allow you to cross his property. The mind set of trespassing being ok "once you're on the lake" is a poor one. And thinking the landowner needs to be "proactive" in putting out a donation box is rediculous also. If a landowner wants to plow a road for themself to get to the lake they own land on then so be it.

If he put a donation box out it would get stolen by one of the MANY users of his property anyway.

I think this landowner is being very polite by allowing you back after you already trespassed, he must be a very nice guy.

And why is this the only access to the lake now? What about the public access??

I'm not looking to start a bunch of axe-grinding here, but when an opinionated post starts a thread like this I think the other side should be posted also...

Quote:

Jeepguy - you make this sound like the landowner has an obligation to you to allow you to cross his property. The mind set of trespassing being ok "once you're on the lake" is a poor one. And thinking the landowner needs to be "proactive" in putting out a donation box is rediculous also. If a landowner wants to plow a road for themself to get to the lake they own land on then so be it.

If he put a donation box out it would get stolen by one of the MANY users of his property anyway.

I think this landowner is being very polite by allowing you back after you already trespassed, he must be a very nice guy.

And why is this the only access to the lake now? What about the public access??

I'm not looking to start a bunch of axe-grinding here, but when an opinionated post starts a thread like this I think the other side should be posted also...

Agreed, I was unaware that I was tresspassing. And it is unfortunate that a donation box would probably get ripped off. Like I said before, a few bad apples can ruin something for everyone. He is in no way obligated to let anyone on his property, but you would like to think that by asking politely and being a responsible sportsman you could gain access to private lands.

As far as the public access goes, it is impossible as of last night to get out of it with a truck or 4 wheeler. The onyl way you could get out is with a snowmobile.

JEEPGUY,

HOW COULD YOU MISS THE SIGNS THEY ARE ABOUT 50 YARDS APART SITTING ON SAW HORSES AND ON TREES.I DRIVE BY IT EVERYDAY YOU CANT MISS THE SIGNS. ITS STUPIDITY ON YOUR PART THAT YOU TRESPASSED. IF YOU WANT TO GET ON THE LAKE THAT BAD, BUY A PLOW, GO TO THE PUBLIC ACCESS AND PLOW YOUR OWN ROAD OR BUY A SNOWMOBILE. THE OWNER OWES YOU NOTHING. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE ONES WHO MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ON PRIVATE LAND TO FISH,HUNT ETC, BECAUSE YOU THINK THEY OWE YOU SOMETHING. THEY DONT. SITING ON THIS SITE SAYING THIS GUY IS A JERK FOR NOT LETTTING YOU ON, THE ONLY JERK I SEE HERE IS YOU.

Hey wise guy, the signs were flipped over that particular day. As far as "people like me" making it difficult to hunt and fish on private land, you are wrong. I do a good deal of hunting and I always ask for permission when using private land. Although it is unfortunate that land owners are usually not willing to let anyone hunt thier land these days, that is why I choose to do my hunting in North Dakota. At least there you can gain access to private land without having to knock on a couple hundred doors until someone finally grants you access. Finding private land around the metro seems to be a waste of time, unless you know someone pretty darn well. I did not say this guy owed me anything, I just thought that the use of cuss words was not needed in this case.

Right on JEEPGUY. Hes got a nasty mouth but hides behind a computer which make him brave.

Well Spoonbill, I think we can lay this topic to rest if ripping on someone's courage is the only thing you have left to say.

it was just funny to see people get all worked up. just adding to the fire.

JEEPGUY,

WHY IS IT THAT YOU HAVE TO KNOCK ON A COUPLE HUNDRED DOORS IN MINNESOTA OR ELSEWHERE. ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE DONT USE COMMON SENSE.SO THAT 50 YARDS OR SO IN BETWEEN THE LAKE AND THE ROAD,WHO DO THINK OWNES' IT.IF YOU USED YOUR HEAD YOU WOULD OF LOOKED AROUND A LITTLE BIT TO SEE THAT IT WAS NOT OWNED BY THE STATE, BECAUSE THEY POST IT WITH SIGNS, SO SOMEBODY MUST OWN IT..HOW ABOUT DOING A LITTLE INVESTIGATING, AND NOT JUST ASSUMING IT IS A ACCESS FOR PEOPLE TO GET ON THE LAKE.THE LAST TIME I CHECKED, LAND IN MINNESOAT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE POSTED,AND ONCE AGAIN YOU STILL TRESPASSED.LET ME GUESS YOU SAW SOMEONE ELSE DO IT SO YOU THOUGHT YOU WOULD DO IT TO.

ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YOU TO ASK YOURSELF, IF YOU SAW SOMEONE SHOOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT, WOULD YOU DO IT TOO?

THATS ALL I HAVE!

Does anyone remember the T.V. show Fishmasters. It was on channel 41 in the early ninety’s. It was a funny fishing show. The opening credits had them climbing over a fence, that had a sign on it that stated “no trespassing”. Check out their web site, URL is below. Further more I usually agree with land owners. In this case I do and I don’t. I myself am part of the problem. In the past I have walked on private land to get to better fishing waters . All though I always respect the fact this is not right and leave if I am asked. I also will ask permission if there is a way to do so. My grief in this post is to the cliché of the old man who hates all people and the aspect of fishing, but lives on a lake. Also he knows he is the best or in some cases the only access to get on lake. When I crossed private property with out permission. I go straight to lake and back. I am talking about foot travel, I will only cross in my truck if there is truck tracks there all ready. I do not start my own roads. This may not be right, but it what I have done in past. I do not condone, but will do a again. All I can say is respect private property and ask permission if possible. There is usually a hidden reason from the seventies or eighties that the old man will not let you pass. I was one of them. I grew up in a rural area of Minnesota and could never understand why a farmer would chase use out of his field in late fall while we were having a kegger. Now I am older and can understand why. Being sued!

Good luck and remember you could go to jail or have a hefty fine,

SHACKBASH

FISHMASTERS "WHOOOEEEE"

P.S.

I would shoot my self in the foot for a million dollors, even if I did not see someone else do it. My two cents. Thats all I am worth.

"Fishmasters" was the greatest/and dumbest show ever

I loved it,didnt know anybody else watched it???

good too know I wasn't alone grin.gif

I watched almost every show. If that ain"t bad enough, I even have a couple episods on tape. I was young then. I was in high school. To bad fish brew never took off. It was supposed to get you drunk off of one can. May be we should start a fishmaster thread? Anyone else out there an old fishmasters fan?

I am in the same boat as Jeepguy. I drove along 37 on the north side of Pelican on Sunday. There were easy 20-30 vehicles parked up and down a side street that comes off of 37 then walking out onto Pelican. They did have to cross the 20-30 feet of land which did have a "No Tresspassing" staked right in the middle of the walking path. It amused me the efforts that land owner was going through to prevent fishermen from having access to public waters by crossing his 20 feet of frozen, snow covered land. I was out with my 5 year old son wanting to go fishing. Two weeks earlier we used the public access on the west side and drove on the ice to the north side. With the snow and slush on Sunday the minivan would not have made it. We did not go fishing this day because of land owners not allowing access to public waters (I understand it is their right).

I noticed that about 150 yards back on 37 towards St Michael there is an area where the water comes to the road and passes through a colvert with water on both sides of the road. It was all frozen but right at the bottom of the road shoulder there is a fence following the road. This water moves right into the cattails and then out into the lake. Is this water considered Pelican Lake and open to public access?

Hey, finally someone sees my point of view. Yes it is his right, but all a guy wants to do is go fishign with his kid. Hey, now that the temps have melted the snow, I would assume the lakes are going to be accessible by car for a week or so before the ice is not safe for driving. I am planning on getting out on some area lakes this week, actualyl I drove out onto Buffalo on saturday and it was a fairly easy drive...lots of tire tracks to follow.

Hey, we all show up in the end. I wish we could of been here sooner.

SHACKBASH,

I'M NOT A MEAN PERSON,BUT THAT BEING SAID, YOU ARE AS IGNORANT AS JEEPGUY IS.YOUR STAEMENTS AL0NE EXPLAINS IT ALL. I HOPE TO GOD FROM THIS DAY FORWARD YOU STOP REPRESENTING ALL FISHERMAN, HUNTERS ALIKE. YOU ARE AN EMBARESMENT TO US ALL.WE ARE ALL NOW DUMBER FOR READING ANYTHING YOU HAVE JUST SAID. GROW UP, AND IF YOU HAVE KIDS OR EVER DO, HOPEFULLY YOU WILL TEACH THEM THE RIGHT THING.

I dont know why I am getting into this argument. But some landowners do take it way to far and claim way more land than they actually own. I had a situation 2 years ago hunting were i got into a dispute with a landowner and just gave up for fear of being shot. I wanted to float shoot a river, the road crossed over the river so I was putting in there and this guy comes out screaming and yelling at calling me every name in the book for trespassing. By law I was not trespassing and this river went for miles that this guy was trying to deny everybody access to.

Now this situation on Pelican is different and that guy has all the rights to do what he wants with his land. The guy gave us all his phone number and just wants people to ask. THAT IS AWSOME. But my point is a landowner who tries to keep people off of public land with the use of force , in my case he threated to shoot us, is just as bad as the trespasser.

RATHER B HUNTING,

I AGREE WITH YOU ON RIVER HUNTING ISSUE,THAT SUCKS THAT HAPPENED TO YOU. TO A POINT THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ON WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU. THEY KNEW THEY WERE TRESPASSING.ONE GUY SAYS HES ALRIGHT WITH TRESPASSING. I AGREE SOME LAND OWNERS TAKE IT TO EXTREMES, BUT WHEN PEOPLE ARE LINING UP ACROSS THE STREET TO PARK AND THEN KNOWINGLY TRESPASSING. THATS WRONG AND YOU CANT SPIN IT ANY OTHER WAY.

ffjof, please turn the caps lock off, we don't need to have you yelling all the time grin.gif btw, some of us probably agree w/ what you are saying, but your lack of "tact" is uncalled for. to resort to the name-calling makes you look like almost as big of a j@ck@$$ as the trespassers.

I still would love to know if this so called trespassing is actually trespassing? If it is, it's terrible that people are taking for granted the easy access. If that water is with in the esement it's okay to pass. Now one would assume that if it were trespassing the cops would be out there ticketing every person who crossed? Or should i say if it was my land and it was in fact trespassing i would hope there would be something i could do? Not a good situation either way you spin it. I live very close and have chosen not to go out this way. smile.gif

Just my thoughts,