• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS

planofslayer

I don't know if this is the right site for this question but I thought since most of you guys on Mille Lacs use GPS's then I'd ask here. I'm looking to get a GPS, mainly for fishing, and want some input from some of you guys with GPS experience. What do you guys suggest and why?

I use an H2O C and have the new lakemaster chip and haven't had any bad experiences yet.

i have the h20c also with the lakemaster chip. had i the chance to do it again i would not get the colored unit. its great for icefishing and fishing at night. in the sunlight, its harder to see than the black & white one.

regards,

minnesotatuff

if you have access to a plug in for H2O C...I would say get this unit. I own the color, and use it for icefishing only...plug it in off the ATV so I can have the back light on...great unit and very easy to see in all conditions. But, if you are just running the unit off batteries, in sunlight you cannot see the screen very well (you will find yourself turning the backlight on to see it, which eats batteries up in a half hour or so...so you need to plug it in. If you don't have access to a plug in on a ATV/Sled, then I would go black/white unit.

I use a Garmin 276C and have had it for quite a few years.

Use it for both travel and lake. Have a mount in the truck, on the ATV as well as it is also a handheld unit. (3" x 6" x 1 1/2"). I bought this unit because it is small enough to be a handheld, portable unit and fit in your pocket as well as having a large enough screen to get a good picture.

I have the Lakemaster program loading into it as well as Road and Street atlas. Use it while traveling to get directions, shortest routes, ETA, etc...

When on the lake, I switch to marine mode and use it for the structure, flats, tracks, waypoints, etc....

I have a few friends that use the H20 and love it as well.

I guess I would see what your needs would be and check around.

Good Luck!!

H20 and the Lakemaster Chip - no complaints here. Nowadays I wouldn't be on the pond with our it.

How many different lakes do you get with the Lakemaster chip? And what was the cost of it? Thanks for the replies!

I also have the H2Oc and the lakemaster chip, you get a ton of lakes, most likely more than you will ever need. I believe I paid $100 for the chip. That was almost two years ago, and I know that there are updated chips available now. More lakes added and probably more accurate road maps.

planofslayer,

I use a Humming Bird matrix fishing system. It combo's my graff and GPS all in one. I have 10 series.

Quote:

How many different lakes do you get with the Lakemaster chip? And what was the cost of it? Thanks for the replies!

Check out lakemaster promaps website, search around a bit and you can find the pdf file that lists all the lakes on it. $100 for the new one and i think the older one is $60 or $70.

I have the new Lakemaster chip in a H2O. It is a wonderfull piece of equipment and I would fish without it now.

Quote:

I would fish without it now.

I think you meant to say wouldn't wink.gif

I also have the Lowrance H2O with the Lakemaster chip. You can't go wrong with this unit. Well worth the $$.

I recently purchased the Lowrance Ifinder Hunt C which has a few more bells and whistles than the H20 C, some of which I will use for hunting. I also am running the newest version of the Lakemaster chip for 2007 which contains 744 lakes with contour maps, 79 of these lakes are Hi Def including Mille Lacs. So far, with very little snow and easy going it's been a tool that I will not again be without. I was using a Magellan XL3000 prior to the Lowrance. They all do the same thing but the newer technology is able to capture and present information differently or should I say better with a better overall picture of where you are. Good luck with your choice.

Well I wish you well in your endeavor for a GPS, I have or should say had the Lowrance H20C and thought it was a great unit until the third outing when it decided to stop working, after a month of calls to the Lowrance Service department I finally got a return number to ship the unit in, shipping costs of 13.48 my expense, three weeks later they send back a refurbished unit, but oops they ship me the H20 not the H20C that I originally had, mistakes happen, call them up and they tell me they will ship me another H20C meanwhile use the H20 and when the new one arrives a shipping label will be inside to ship the H20 back, ok no problem, wait that was a month and a half ago. Still no h20c, point of the story, great unit but if anything goes wrong with it, their service is the worst I have ever dealt with on anything. Just be cautious as for me it's all Hummingbirds going on the boat this summer. Doing my research on them so if anyone has used the new 3D Side Shot model please let me hear your thoughts on them Thanks

Bigeye30",

I am a member at Hummingbird. I can find out any info you may need. Just let me know?

The H2O seems like the most popular GPS but that last post about the service wasn't to cool. Anyone else ever had to deal with lowrance's service?

I had the power cord go bad this year on an outing to Mille Lacs. I called them and waited for awhile on the phone just to talk to someone, but when I did they sent me a new cord and I got it in less than a week! Thanks Lowrance!

I have the H20 also and its great but get the color one for the extra seventy bucks, its definatly worth it!

If you are interest in purchasing my H2OC please e-mail me at [email protected]. I had an issue with my unit and sent it in to Lowrance to check it out and they sent me a brand new unit on 2-27-07. I have the receipt to show this date. I also have the Lakemaster 2006 chip. If interested I'm selling the unit for $220.00 and the chip for $80.00. The reason for me wanting to sell this unit is that I'm upgrading my fish finder to a unit that has internal GPS. No need for the handheld unit anymore.

had the garmin etrex legend - very happy with it - just upgraded to the garmin GPSmap 60CSx - garmin has been fabulous with questions and lakemaster questions. had old unit for 5 years and never approblem. have only used the new unit on local lakes but I love it already!!!! hope to use on mille lac this weekend.