• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alright, so is anyone out there willing to divulge the secrets of making those lovely weighted looper bobber. I analyzed them and can't figure how they are hollowed and then added with lead. Every time i go to Fisherman's Corner, i see the floats and the shafts that look like the ones needed. Can anyone help me?...With the floats, that is, other than that, i'm beyond help crazy.gif

I believe that is a secret and sacred art...I don't know how either but my buddies do and I take all theirs.

You need egg sinkers of your own weight and a steel rod to heat up and burn the bottom of the bobber. Then insert egg sinker then glue it in place you can buy all the parts at most bait shops they are fun to make you can make them as light or heavy as you would prefer. But before you glue them make sure they float good luck on your bobber making.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

"But before you glue them make sure they float"

That there is the best advice I've heard all day. grin.gif

Nothing worse then showing up at the French and all your home made bobbers and they sink.

Geee,,,, I like it when my bobbers sink,,,but only when there is a fish on !!!! laugh.gif

Randoid

If i use the egg sinkers, how are they smoothed out so the bottom of the bobber doesn't look all funky? All the ones i have look like the lead was actually melted into the shape of the bottom of the float.

Deathroe- I drill 3 holes in triangle pattern on bottom of a balsa float. Then I take a spoon with a spout (which i made out of a common spoon by bending with channel lock pliers) and melt lead sinkers in spoon with a small propane torch. This doesnt take much as the melting point is very low. Then just fill your holes. I just use a waterproof tape to cover. Paint em up if you want and you're done. I usually leave 1/8" of wood between the shaft and the drilled hole to ensure the lead doesnt burn through. The fumes can be a bit harsh so may want to do in ventilated area. Anyways, this will take care of your funky looking bottom.

I'll use #8 lead shot to fill the holes. Then use wax to fill the voids and seal the deal.

Surface Tension "I'll use #8 lead shot to fill the holes" I hope you see if they float before you add the extra weight. Well keep your holes filled with # shot???? This is a first for me most just fill them with glue grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif.

I only had one sink and that because I had a dipsy diver and flasher on, so I use a bigger bobber now. In fact a soccer ball will float nice and I can see it. Best thing is you don't have to cast, just kick the ball.

Thanks everyone. I think a little trial and error is in order for me.

If your only going to use a few and only a couple times a year its way cheaper to just go buy some at Marine General.

Northlander,

It's also cheaper to buy beer than make my own, but i like that satisfaction. grin.gif

""But i like that satisfaction""

I Like to make my stuff and see it works? Well some times it does and some times it sits there to never get wet again. But the beer is always cold?

Okay guys, this is probably a dumb question, but enlighten me. What makes a "looper boober" any better then a weighted slip float like a balsa float with the weight rings attached to it? Just curious?

Tunrevir~

I hope nothing makes them better, because the weighted balsa slips are exactly what I planned on using my first time out there... confused.gif

I guess i'd like to know the answer to tunrevir's question as well...

They tend to be a bit wider and heavier and you can see them quite a ways out. A weighted balsa bobber would work though. Some guys use the looper bobbers slip style and some peg them at a certain depth.

DR I hear ya on the statisfaction of making your own. I make my own tattle tale flags for my boards and my own spinners and its fun catching fish on something you made. I also do it to save some money though. grin.gif

Rossbobbers are quite a bit heavier then the weighted balsam bobbers. Being able to cast out further is an obvious plus, especially when casting into the wind. Another benefit is they lob out there nice whereas with a lighter bobber you'll be putting on the torque to get it out.

However you don't always need a full cast to get fish, its nice when you want to though.

Thanks for the replies, I was getting curious and was wondering what the differences were.

Tunrevir~

Got some fresh bobbers in the looper bag and gonna toss em in a few hours. Hopefully they sink! grin.gif

That was what I was going for. They sunk but I wasn't quick enough on the draw. My headache and I will be back at it in the morning. I hope it gets cloudy.

anywhere and everywhere. Today provided much more activity then yesterday. The lester looked like the big jig.

Matt how is the ICE ? I hope it all melts soon they say rain or snow tonight.

Why all the secrets all of a sudden Matt? Boy you are really on fish or your worried about the loopers getting over fished. Lord help us if Lake Superior gets harmed by ice or shore fisherman. wink.gif

Sorry guys. I'll try not to be too secretive. The fishing isn't at all as good as my 'secretive ways' might suggest. It's just nice not fishing in a crowd and I don't like to advertise spots that I enjoy relaxing at. The fish haven't seemed to prefer any particular color bug so much as the weather. If there's a chop and clouds the fish have been active. Bright and calm has been okay (nicer to fish in too) but just not as good. Also a lot of the fish I've seen haven't dunked the bobber. They just make it tip. Also zero cohos this year. Anyone else have luck with them?