• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So I am a student at Gustavus and love to fish, so naturally i have my fish house, auger, vexlars (pl), and other Ice fishing stuff in the back of my expidetion. Last time out i had some gas spill in the fish house so i left the window down about 4" to let it air out a bit. last night i had some one break into my truck a take all of my gear. I cant believe some one would have the gumshun to take gear from a broke college kid. now that i have vented if anyone hears about someone getting a new fish trap yukon and strike master (which has a broken throttle linkage and black hockey tape holding it together) or two new vexlars and a Marcum I would love to know. thanks Jonah

Some people will do anything. confused.gif If I hear of anything like these items for sale I will let you know.

Did you have theft insurance on your vechile? I know the ded. will apply but it might save you some money. I would maybe call the area baitshops just incase they try to trade the gear in for something else. Long shot but it wont cost anything to try.

totalled things up, it came to a little over $3400 to replace everything.

What a croc 'o s*!# that is huh! Some people just don't get it.

Sorry to hear about the loss. HL gave some good advice though. Hope you get some if not all your gear back!

Sorry to hear about that, Jonah. frown.gif

I'll keep an eye out at the pawn shops for your stuff - it's amazing what shows up there.

--Mark

I would definitely agree, make sure you inquire at the local pawn shops, that is how many of these items are recovered. My buddy got his GPS that way! The thief actually turned it on and it went from his car, straight to the pawn shop. Police grabbed the camera from the pawnshop and he had his GPS the next morning!

im heading to tetonka in the morning if you need to use some gear for the rest of the ice season let me know i have 3 fl18 lots of rods a portable house extra to call or email me [email protected]

I just want to say "Way to go Bluebill!" It's awesome to know someone is willing to go that far to help their fellow angler.

Sorry to hear about your loss MuskyBug85. I've personally had my own truck broken into and gear stolen. It makes you feel sick and violated. What area did this occur in? I can check the shops around the faribault area.

thanks bluebill i may take you up on your offer, it happened in St.Peter. the most frustrating part for me is the campus had a breaking the night before in a different lot and the administration never sent out an alarm or let the community know about it so we could take extra caution. i just thank god it didnt happen in the fall when we had shotguns locked up in there. thanks for your support guys its really cool that your willing to help a fellow angler. Thanks again Jonah

$3,400.00 in ice fishing equipment? The definition of a broke college student has changed since my days at MSU. grin.gif

Good luck retrieving your gear hopefully it is found!

Part of my stuff was with Bug's in the truck, and after dealing with everything yesterday, I would strongly suggest writing down everything thing: serial numbers and models especially of gear. Write your name on your stuff somehow. I know that I will be much more conscious with my gear from here on out. Thanks for all the supportive responses, it is appreciated.

Good bites and Tight lines

Dan

Hey Jonah,

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate events, you know what they say, there's that five percent of the population that makes everyone look bad in everything, hopefully they catch them, I noticed your at gustavus and have seen your muskie photos on here, if you want my email is in my profile, maybe we can get together and hit French this Spring, or any lake for that matter Let me know

It is one of the reasons I gave up on ice fishing. there are too many idiots that don't want to work for what they have. My daughteer and I put my small house on a south metro lake a few years ago on a Firday night. Drilled the hole to come back early Sat morning. We left nothing in the house. We came back the next morning, they ripped the door off and crapped inside. We cleaned up the mess,fixed the door fished, went home. The next morning, went back out, someone had taken a big truck and had a demolition derby with all the houses in the aera. Destroyed 6 houses, mine included. It is really too bad they did not hit a propane tank!!!!

3,400 sounds like alot but if youve spent years aquiring, it adds up.hope you get youre stuff back,and jail time for those or that a$$-hole that took it mad.gif

yeha when we totalled it up i thought i was high too but 2 vexlars at $450, a marcum, auger, and clam at around 500-600 brings the total to around 2500 right there. plus all our tackle (a dozen chubby darters and jigging raps totals almost $100) we had 6 boxes of tackle taken, hardware, a new quantum catylist, a heater, 45lb propane tank, so you can see where the cost adds up really fast. i think if you guys took a moment to add up totals of your gear your wives would kill you over the cost of the sport.

Mine knows and just shakes her head. Then you add the hunting gear in and she thinks I have a real problem. confused.gif

The equipment adds up fast! But I buy it a little here and a little there, everytime I go to a sporting goods store, or when I go to a bait shop, wife doesnt track them dollars spent! Its the big stuff that I hear about over and over, such as my trips, I spend an average of $1000 on each of them! Thats when I hear it! If I lost all of my equipment in one shot, it would be to hard to put a dollar amount on it all! But without insurance to pay it, it would be hard to start over again, I would do it, but it would be hard!

All my gear is insured on the boat or household insurance. Its not that spendy and I would never want to or could I afford to replace it all in one shot.

Try to keep good records and take pics every year of all your gear. It may help with your insurance company. Having an agent that you know on a first-name basis that understands your fishing passion may help, too.

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. frown.gif I live on local lake and left my portable up about 100 yards in front of my house to go get something from my house andcame back about twenty minutes later. I couldn't follow the trail because they drug it onto the bare ice. i lost my vexilar, all my rods, tackle, and our new heater.