• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last Cast

Bobby Bass

When ever I go fishing it is a tradition with my friends to announce the last cast of the day. It usually is a long one and the handle is turned slow to keep the lure in the water as long as possible. But I don't ever remember catching anything on the last cast. Does anyone have any stories about last cast fish?

this year in Canada we were getting some walleyes for the last shore lunch and another boat decided to cast for some therns......well we catch the walleye and let them know we are going back to camp to start getting ready to leave.....they tell us they are leaving also......well 2 of the 3 pulled their lines in and the other guy says last cast of the trip.......well he pulled in what ends up being the biggest thern of the trip hitting the tape at a fat 42".....not another cast was made.....end to a great trip and a place to start the trip this year!!!!

When I was a sandboy I remember fishing with my Pops and older brother. I was around 5 I think. They were packing up and my line was always the last to come in. I loved to fish to the last minute. We hadn't caught anything in a few hours but there I sat. Just when the last things were put in the car I got the tug and pulled in a "monster" cat (probably only a 2 lber, but huge to a 5 year old). My old man had to drag everything out of the car again cause I wasn't leaving. He's a great sport, to this day he doesn't care if he catches anything as long as his "kids" do. I try to get him where he's gonna catch though.

Quote:

When I was a sandboy I remember fishing with my Pops and older brother.

I got a good chuckle out of that. Thanks I needed it! My dad was always the same way... did not matter if he caught or shot anything as long as the boys were. I think it also had a lot to do with the fact that we were spending some quality time together out on the lake or slough. Dam I miss those days with my dad! Dam, I love those days when I am the dad out there with my sons! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Fishing a metro lake on a Sunday eve a few years ago. I had already made my last cast and set my rod down, but we came to a spot near the access that looked good, what the heck, one more cast. Caught a three pound snot rocket that preceeded to bury a tiny torpedo deep into my finger, spent two hours at a busy ER on a Sunday night with a lure dangling from my hand.

Shouldn't have made that last cast. shocked.gif

i usually tell myself 10 more casts and if i dont get a bite im leaving more times than not i catch a fish or get a bite sometimes i still leave after those 10 casts but just kinda weird how maybe i wont catch much of anything til i proclaim im leaving after ten more casts.

last cast is always followed by 'unless i get a bite or a fish' the only one i remember catching on the last cast came after a day of trolling live bait rigs with my grandpa. that's about all we ever did when fishing with my grandpa. we didn't have a fish all day, i think one lost northern on a small lake in the ottertail area. when we got the boat onto shore and gramps was getting the car, i threw out my leach and caught a 14" largemouth. not a trophy, not even my best fishin with grandpa john story, but it was a last cast fish. cool.gif

IRONY! Wow Duffman, you described what happened to me.

We're in the middle of the Chippewa Nat'l Forest on a small lake. Me and my parents been catching little pike all day. The fishing has finally slowed trolling, so we start casting. We get a few bass and pike, and it's getting late. I'm 14 and the fisherman of the family, since my parents get out once or twice a year. I've been the "lead guide" on all fishing trips since that age. Anyway, I announce last cast before I'll fire up the 6 horse and head in. My trout-colored Original Rapala hauls in another hammer handle. It is barely hooked so I figure I can just pull it out. Well, this little snot rocket does the most amazing crappie flop I've ever seen, setting one of the sets of treble hooks deep into my left index finger. What happened next is legend. I screamed like a girl and shouted ever curse word in the book in front of both my parents. That was about the first time they had ever heard language like that out of me. I give them directions for getting it out(push it all the way through and pinch off barbs) but they don't want any part of hook removal and are concerned about nerve, tendon, or bone damage in my finger.

My dad takes over the motor and points us for shore while I'm trying to unhook the fish. At shore I eventually get him off, but not before he made a few more flops. At shore, I sat in the back seat of the car, hook still embedded lure dangling. I threw the fish back believe it or not, when I probably should have fed him to our dogs or something.

My parents load the boat at the unimproved cruddy access. Then we drive down the bumpy, windy gravelly forest service roads. The lure becomes hooked in the seat belt. Repeat curse words and screaming as the tires bounce over the staccato notes of washboard gravel curves. Repeat crying and gnashing of teeth. I get it loose. 45 minutes later we are at the Bigfork hospital, but by now it hardly hurts. I get a picture in front of the ER with the lure in my finger, me grinning like an (Contact Us Please).

Doc injects some novacaine and pop, it's out. Tells us he gets this a few times a week. Worst stories from the doctor while he works-Guy gets a heap of hooks stuck in his hand when trying to clean out his tangled tackle box....also, honeymooning groom hooks wife in ear with a musky streamer fly while fly fishing the big fork for muskies.

But on a better note, I have gotten a few fish on the famous last case. Nothing legendary for size, but I recall a few pike, bass, and crappie. One memorable bass on a topwater last cast, we needed to go to the landing because we found out our lights weren't working and the sun was almost down.

I have 2 both on Harriet.

1st: I was fishing with my dad. We went around the lake, didn't see 1 fish. Got to the access and dropped my dad off to get the truck, while I put all the tackle away. I'm sitting there and I see a musky surface right next to the dock. So I grab the rod and chucked my Rad Dog over there and pop, she nails it. I got her to the boat but the net was broke down. So I have the rod in one hand and unlatched the net in the other. I ended up drifting to the fishing pier where my dad took a picture of me with a 47.5 inch musky!!!!

2: Fishing with a buddy and we again went all the way around the lake. Got to the landing and we both decided to make the "last cast". We'll mine got out there and a little 34 inch musky grabbed on for the ride. We netted her and after a quick picture I went to put her back. My buddy left his rod with his bucktail hanging in the water and when she took off out of my hands, she hooked herself under the chin. My spiderman reflexes grabed the rod and I had to catch her twice.

Best part of open water fishing is saying last cast at dark but 2 hrs later im still casting. if i got the time its hard to put the rod down fish or no fish. Yes i have caught them on the "last cast" lol. grin.gif

Last summer I was pitching a plastic worm into shoreline brush. I was having a bad day, and was about to hang it up. I was coming up to a point, and when I reached that point I was going home. I caught a 20" bass, so I quickly retied. At the tip of the point I had a solid thump, so I set the hook. After swinging out to open water to land the fish, I noticed that it was a muskie. C&R a nice 36" muskie. What a nice end to an otherwise slow day.

some times my "last cast" is determined by time, but many times it depends on my mood! if i'm not ready to stop and go back to facing the real world, i keep fishing grin.gif!

Seems my last cast is usually timed by beer. If things are slow, and it's just about time to go we'll say "after this beer".

I've actually had it happen twice and both times in tournaments (Never give up..... laugh.gif) so my last cast was determined by the clock saying that we had to get moving to get back to the weigh-in.

Best of the two was a couple years ago and I had been having one of those days where you get pasted by the other guy in the boat. We would pull up on a spot and he would catch a fish and that would be the only fish to be had there and then repeat at a new spot. With just like 20 mins to go I had 2 in the livewell and he had a nice limit. I found a big pocket of fish back in a drain culvert and caught fish on my final 7 casts (culled a couple of times) to weigh in 12-13 #'s. Sure turned the day around!

Daze Off